OVP tripping on 300W sfx PSU

SimplyChunk

I think i've nailed it at this point but am after confirmation. 

PSU trips (both my TFX 250W and my SFX 300W)  OVP i'm guessing?  When i need to shut computer down without a full shutdown. (Hard resets, holding power button.  stuff like that) 

Anyway i think i've traced it to still having the 48v Phantom Power for my Mic on, on my Audiobox USB 96.  It's not a problem anymore as i know to turn it off now.  but just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same situation before?

I'm only running an i5 560 and no GPU so i know there's nothing wrong with the PSUs.

Another question i wanted to ask was if i plugged the AudioBox in to the powered hub built in to my Monitor )XL2720T(  Do you think it'd soak up the spikes from the AudioBox's phantom power kicking in and tripping the PSU

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

If I'm understanding correctly the PSU stops working at some point after you shut down your PC while the audio interface is still turned on? If you turn the audio interface off before shutting down there's no problem?

What might be happening is when you shut down the PC the load on the 5VSB rail is too high and that's causing the issue. Do you have a bunch of other stuff also plugged in to USB ports that consumes power while the PC is off? Lots of RGB that stays on? What model power supplies are you using and what's their rated current for 5VSB?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If I'm understanding correctly the PSU stops working at some point after you shut down your PC while the audio interface is still turned on? If you turn the audio interface off before shutting down there's no problem?

What might be happening is when you shut down the PC the load on the 5VSB rail is too high and that's causing the issue. Do you have a bunch of other stuff also plugged in to USB ports that consumes power while the PC is off? Lots of RGB that stays on? What model power supplies are you using and what's their rated current for 5VSB?

No it's pretty bare bones just the audio interface.  the keyboard, mouse and xbox one adapter are on the monitor.  It happens when i do a hard shut down and then turn it back on so i'm guessing the shut down command does something in the audio interface to stop it trying to grab all that power upon normal switch on.  I'm gonna try it in the powered hub on the Monitor see if it's any better.  It's pretty easy to replicate (however it means i can't use the PSU for a few minutes after if it does trip)

Thanks for the quick reply @Spotty

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 hours ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

No it's pretty bare bones just the audio interface.  the keyboard, mouse and xbox one adapter are on the monitor.  It happens when i do a hard shut down and then turn it back on so i'm guessing the shut down command does something in the audio interface to stop it trying to grab all that power upon normal switch on.  I'm gonna try it in the powered hub on the Monitor see if it's any better.  It's pretty easy to replicate (however it means i can't use the PSU for a few minutes after if it does trip)

Thanks for the quick reply @Spotty

Are these older, group regulated PSUs?  Perhaps a crossload on shut down is causing OVP to latch requiring a hard reset?

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are these older, group regulated PSUs?  Perhaps a crossload on shut down is causing OVP to latch requiring a hard reset?

Not sure what any of that means but i'm gonna agree.  i got it plugged in to the hub now which isn't affecting latancy.  I'm gonna re-create the scenario when i get home from work today