Pc fan rattling

Yukek
Go to solution Solved by RageTester,

I got no intake fans whatsoever. As long as exhaust on top back of the case is pulling air out, fresh air will get pulled in through other openings in case.

If you ain't overclocking and running 100% loads all the time it should still work without throttling.

I've had a front case fan with quiet rattling noise for a long time now. Today it suddenly when nuts and it sounded like it bumped against stuff, it wasn't good. So I thought I should lubricate it.

The problem:

Mu fan doesn't want to unscrew, I didn't screw the fan in myself but I think the screwheads are destroyed (my screwdriver doesn't have any grip). I thought I could just lube it while it was still in the case but it has a plastic cover where the lube should go. I tried carving the cover away with a knife but after +20 minutes I kinda think it isn't gonna work. Can I just unplug the fan? Will it effect the temperature a lot? Because I'm kinda done with this piece of shit. Thank you in advance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes unplug it 

Yes it will effect case flow. (Less flow)

Perhaps drill the heads of the screws off and remove the fan. Only need to get the head of the screw remove and the fan will come out. 

Mind the drill shavings. Don't let them in the case if possible.

I got no intake fans whatsoever. As long as exhaust on top back of the case is pulling air out, fresh air will get pulled in through other openings in case.

If you ain't overclocking and running 100% loads all the time it should still work without throttling.

I would recommend destroying the out side of the fan to release the screw rather than drilling the screw heads off. you can always reuse it as an exhaust fan and use the other holes if it can be salvaged.

Having 2 intake fans and no exhaust might perform better. the only way to establish the optimum set up with just two fans is to install them in different locations and run some stress tests.

20 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes unplug it 

Yes it will effect case flow. (Less flow)

Perhaps drill the heads of the screws off and remove the fan. Only need to get the head of the screw remove and the fan will come out. 

Mind the drill shavings. Don't let them in the case if possible.

Thanks a lot for your response! I really appreciate it. I have considered drilling but I don't have a drill that fits in the gap and I don't feel like removing the gpu and perhaps even the cpu fan. For now I'm going to stick with unplugging it and I'll monitor the temperatures closely for the following days.