American PC gamers don't realise that graphics card prices are actually normal.

oali24

ever since the launch of nvidia 30 series, I've been hearing how expensive graphics cards are, but they haven't really budged here in Jordan, so I decided to compare the prices of 1650's, here in Jordan at popular computer parts shop, and on newegg.

image.thumb.png.549fe12fae7559cb7fd9f53cc3db1835.pngimage.thumb.png.567db5ca67ae16a821fb662744e0bcc3.png

As you can see, there about on par, (1 dinar=1.44$), I never imagined that Americans would be paying what we, a poor middle eastern oil-less middle income country would be paying on graphics cards.

4 minutes ago, oali24 said:

ever since the launch of nvidia 30 series, I've been hearing how expensive graphics cards are, but they haven't really budged here in Jordan, so I decided to compare the prices of 1650's, here in Jordan at popular computer parts shop, and on newegg.

image.thumb.png.549fe12fae7559cb7fd9f53cc3db1835.pngimage.thumb.png.567db5ca67ae16a821fb662744e0bcc3.png

As you can see, there about on par, (1 dinar=1.44$), I never imagined that Americans would be paying what we, a poor middle eastern oil-less middle income country would be paying on graphics cards.

400$ for GTX 1650 is normal for you? Those GPUs launched in 2019 at 150$ MSRP

image.png.ee45ef0ac0e716d613e5ba6a8134a41d.png

And let's just completely forget about MSRP because it is close to useless nowadays, let's check GPU pricing history on Amazon (using camelcamelcamel.com),
One of the cheapest 1650 cards, offered by Zotac: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881YZJ45

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0881YZJ45?context=search&active=amazon

image.thumb.png.ebcf7bd89adac9a0edd895eea78f98f5.png

155$ -> small price increase (~14%) -> out of stock (dotted line) -> 300$  (~100% price increase).

Not to mention PC components like GPUs lose value over time, so stores should reduce prices and put them up on sales to clear inventory... That is what "normally" is supposed to happen. Here, look at the price history for this GTX 950:

image.thumb.png.e081bfa9ce2320d6fe246d42b861dbc4.png

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B013WQC9U2?context=search

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Just now, Biohazard777 said:

400$ for GTX 1650 is normal for you? Those GPUs launched in 2019 at 150$ MSRP

image.png.ee45ef0ac0e716d613e5ba6a8134a41d.png

And let's just completely forget about MSRP because it is close to useless nowadays, let's check GPU pricing history on Amazon (using camelcamelcamel.com),
One of the cheapest 1650 cards, offered by Zotac: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881YZJ45

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0881YZJ45?context=search&active=amazon

image.thumb.png.ebcf7bd89adac9a0edd895eea78f98f5.png

155$ -> small price increase (~14%) -> out of stock (dotted line) -> 300$  (~100% price increase).

Not to mention PC components like GPUs lose value over time, so stores should reduce prices and put them up on sales to clear inventory... That is what "normally" is supposed to happen. Here, look at the price history for this GTX 950:

image.thumb.png.e081bfa9ce2320d6fe246d42b861dbc4.png

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B013WQC9U2?context=search

yes I know that normally in US or other big markets its much cheaper, but here in Jordan what the prices basically were was just the number of dollars the part cost but in dinars which meant that they basically all cost about 50% more of whatever they were selling in US. customs and shipping ain't cheap here. so a 150$ graphics card would be about 220 dinars, currently they're about the same as 220 dinars is about 310$. I'm not being very scientific with this, but honestly PC part prices here sucked so bad, budget parts weren't too bad but higher end ones basically felt like paying 400$ for a 150$ msrp card before chip shortage, it's just funny to me that Americans now have it as bad as us now.

That's a fairly cherry-picked example.

Here's the exact same card on both sites, an Asus TUF RTX 3080 V2 10 GB OC. In Jordan it costs $1479 (converted) and in the US $1770. Both are overpriced, since the MSRP for that thing, even the one set by Asus originally was at around $900 if I remember correctly, but a $300 difference is hardly comparable if even your cheaper option is marked up by $500 in the first place.

image.thumb.png.a9926eef36267d71cac2b079e2e06aff.png

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

They're both overpriced either way, but much less in USA. If you look at developed countries with good average income, yes they are technically affordable. In the non-target countries, GPUs are usually a rarity because they are only imported in smaller quantities. Western countries in general get the advantage. Imports tax and such drive the price up like crazy. Usually the demand in those countries is smaller than western countries, low stock and only a part of enthusiasts can afford it compared to the average income. Therefore, the prices differ so much from the target countries versus importing countries.

There's nothing normal about the prices here in the US. Nothing normal about availability either. I remember being able to walk in and buy a gpu at best buy

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

5 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

That's a fairly cherry-picked example.

Here's the exact same card on both sites, an Asus TUF RTX 3080 V2 10 GB OC. In Jordan it costs $1479 (converted) and in the US $1770. Both are overpriced, since the MSRP for that thing, even the one set by Asus originally was at around $900 if I remember correctly, but a $300 difference is hardly comparable if even your cheaper option is marked up by $500 in the first place.

image.thumb.png.a9926eef36267d71cac2b079e2e06aff.png

Wow, I just picked something random and was more trying to make a joke about how pc part prices are now comparable between Jordan and US but wow, I didn't realise that it might be cheaper to get a 3080 in Jordan than US right now, honestly just a year ago it would have been shocking to even have prices for parts here be comparable to US, I had my dad get a 5700xt in early 2020 from US while he was on a business trip because the prices here were so bad then. Pretty insane how much its changed.

1 hour ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

There's nothing normal about the prices here in the US. Nothing normal about availability either. I remember being able to walk in and buy a gpu at best buy

yeah, availability isn't all that good here either, I remember going to another PC part shop and being shocked at the fact that they didn't have any cards in stock, like its normal here for their to not be much selection because its such a small market but honestly its got to be really bad supply issues for there to be nothing because cards just sit on shelves over here because the majority of people can barely afford a feature phone, let alone high performance PC parts, so usually demand is very low. I know people have probably heard enough about chip shortage at this point but I am shocked still to see American PC gamers dealing with similar issues as us.

3 hours ago, FRD said:

They're both overpriced either way, but much less in USA. If you look at developed countries with good average income, yes they are technically affordable. In the non-target countries, GPUs are usually a rarity because they are only imported in smaller quantities. Western countries in general get the advantage. Imports tax and such drive the price up like crazy. Usually the demand in those countries is smaller than western countries, low stock and only a part of enthusiasts can afford it compared to the average income. Therefore, the prices differ so much from the target countries versus importing countries.

yeah that sounds exactly right, couldn't have put it any better.

10 minutes ago, oali24 said:

I didn't realise that it might be cheaper to get a 3080 in Jordan than US right now,

I guess that is, if you can get them. I built a system about 1yr ago and had to go with Asus Geforce RTX 2060 because most other options I was interested in were out of stock. I paid $359 on Newegg (that includes California sales tax of 7.75% and shipping).

I think with the supply chain problems, COVID-19 shutdowns, and Cryptocoin miners, it all affects the pricing and availability. Supply goes down, price goes up (generally speaking of course. I'm not an economist 😁).

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

5 hours ago, oali24 said:

it's just funny to me that Americans now have it as bad as us now.

I'm in the EU, but I don't see why this is funny, personally I wish prices were better for all.

6 hours ago, oali24 said:

but honestly PC part prices here sucked so bad, budget parts weren't too bad but higher end ones basically felt like paying 400$ for a 150$ msrp card before chip shortage, it's just funny to me that Americans now have it as bad as us now.

As far back as I can remember (early 2000's) there have always been cards ranging from $50 to $2000.

I don't think it's anything new. Price fluctuates here in the US on PC parts just like any other market. Problem with GPUs, IMHO is that rather than selling off last years model cheaper (new, not used eBay stuff), they pull those off the market and only the latest, greatest, current cards are on the market. So that $1500 you bought last year... yeah now 6 months later there is a better one..  also for $1500.. that you just have to have because all the tech review site said so lol.

It never ends. Which is why as a light gamer, I always just get a sub $400 GPU. I have a decent paying job/business, but I also like to eat, pay mortgage, bills, have some savings, etc and life in general, in Southern California, isn't cheap! 😁😉

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

9 hours ago, Shlouski said:

I'm in the EU, but I don't see why this is funny, personally I wish prices were better for all.

It's funny to me because I see graphics card prices that look normal to me but then there is a big reaction from people in US or EU because those prices are high for them. I know that they are not normal prices for them but those prices are what I'm used to.

3 hours ago, oali24 said:

It's funny to me because I see graphics card prices that look normal to me but then there is a big reaction from people in US or EU because those prices are high for them. I know that they are not normal prices for them but those prices are what I'm used to.

I think my reaction would be surprise or shock, and not hilarity.

I feel sorry for those living in countries with high sale tax rates, many are in the 20% to 30% range. I'm lucky, even though I live in Spain with a 21% tax rate I don't have to pay it because the rules on VAT do not apply to the Canary Islands, so instead I only pay 7.5% IGIC.

A 1650 for $350 is not normal lmao.

last-gen low end cards should be selling for less than 50% msrp by now

It's the 3000 series and not being able to find them actually being sold by any legitimate store and scalpers quadrupling the price on ebay

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

Pricing in the US is anything but normal right now, and it has been for a long time. I was beyond excited to buy a GTX 1660 Ti for only $75 yesterday - the same exact card sells here in the US for $400+. So no, prices aren't normal. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)