Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake T-Series 35W CPUs Reportedly Hit 4.9 GHz

Lightwreather
10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

but I do have the feeling those cpus are going to suck for gaming in general,

Gaming is a mixed workload that relies on both single core performance and multi-threaded performance.

So the little cores will have significantly less single core performance compared to "normal" cores.

I expect Intel to have a solution to that problem (they could disable those cores in gaming workloads)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I expect Intel to have a solution to that problem (they could disable those cores in gaming workloads)

I was thinking about that possibility too... aside from that being probably complex ,that would mean a 6c/12t 12th gen intel basically runs on how many cores while gaming? That just seems like regress and I can easily see a situation where games need to specifically optimized for this... resulting in chaos, incompatibilities,  low performance,  suffering,  blood sweat and tears ... 🤣

Maybe these cpus are actually good , just doesn't seem like gaming had any priority or even consideration while designing them. of course they will claim the opposite,  but im skeptically curious...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

35 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I expect Intel to have a solution to that problem

From what we've been shown already, this is a combination of Intel's Thread Director (provided in CPU) and OS support. Between them they can work out what makes sense to put on P cores, and what can go on E cores. It is a solution that doesn't require software support, although software that can understand Alder Lake may be able to do something smarter if needed. The writer of Prime95 is arranging pre-release access to try and get it working well in preparation. Up to now it is tuned to assume all cores are equal, since they have a degree of needing to sync up, which will no longer be the case. Of course, as something new, we will have to wait and see how it really works in practice. Win11 will be a requirement and that in itself may put people off. Win10 will not understand the difference between the cores so performance may less unpredictable.

We can also kind of see this as similar to SMT in terms of putting the right code on the right threads. In the worst case you might get 50% performance if you put two threads on the same core that should have gone on separate cores. Generally speaking, with SMT enabled you should not see any major drop in performance compared to SMT disabled. Windows has got better over time I think we're at that point now. Note that doesn't mean no negative difference ever. There will be a small overhead from SMT existing, and it also takes up a little power. In older versions of Windows, for workloads I characterised, I saw SMT give between -10% to +50% improvement. The low end has gone up to -2% or so now as it does things better. On average, the benefits outweigh the negatives, but in a power constrained situation that doesn't benefit from SMT, you could see reduced performance that way.

The same test should be applied to hybrid CPUs going forward. The addition of the E cores should not result in scenarios where you get significantly lower performance compared to not having them. This will be an easy test for reviewers once it is available. I'm sure many will also explore how bad an idea it might be to run Win10 with it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I was thinking about that possibility too... aside from that being probably complex ,that would mean a 6c/12t 12th gen intel basically runs on how many cores while gaming? That just seems like regress and I can easily see a situation where games need to specifically optimized for this... resulting in chaos, incompatibilities,  low performance,  suffering,  blood sweat and tears ... 🤣

Maybe these cpus are actually good , just doesn't seem like gaming had any priority or even consideration while designing them. of course they will claim the opposite,  but im skeptically curious...

I don't think it's going to be too much of a problem on the desktop CPUs with 4 or more enabled P cores as threads by default start on P cores, unless under conditions where that cannot be meet. I think laptops will have the hardest time as many CPUs are only going to have 2 P cores which isn't a lot when a load of threads and handles want access to or would be better if run on P cores.

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

I don't think it's going to be too much of a problem on the desktop CPUs with 4 or more enabled P cores as threads by default start on P cores, unless under conditions where that cannot be meet. I think laptops will have the hardest time as many CPUs are only going to have 2 P cores which isn't a lot when a load of threads and handles want access to or would be better if run on P cores.

I didn't mean it would totally suck, more like potentially not a big improvement over previous gens... its something "new" i guess and i applaud them for doing something different - but i cannot ignore how disconnected the company seems to be either.  Remember the whole "back to you, Steve" PR farce recently, like what the heck was that? Lol

We will see , but as i said i can definitely see issues with this approach,  these things aren't always as easy as they seem... video games specifically are weird and kinda unpredictable regarding compatibility etc.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm actually of the opinion that, if they haven't somehow screwed up the pooch, these could be awesome for budget-conscious gaming builds

Not just a 6 core, but a 6 core with a couple "weak" cores sprinkled in that can take care of that Discord call and those RAM-munching Chrome tabs.
Even more noticeable for the i3s - you're only gonna have 4 decent cores, but (OS scheduling permitting) they will be laser-focused on your game.

I'm very interested to see how these new cpus work out.

honestly don't know why they can't have little cores, big cores and one extreme core that is 6Ghz but only one core. throw single threat higher CPU usage like some poorly optimised games onto that core. at least its more likely to shine vs any other processor be it old intel ones or new amd chips.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

43 minutes ago, Maticks said:

honestly don't know why they can't have little cores, big cores and one extreme core that is 6Ghz but only one core. throw single threat higher CPU usage like some poorly optimised games onto that core. at least its more likely to shine vs any other processor be it old intel ones or new amd chips.

Probably because it'll really only benefit older games using DX11. Not much coming out now days is dependent on a single core or 2 thread (SMT). It's basically a solution to a problem that exists in the past, although it would give some nice CB 1T scores.

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

one extreme core that is 6Ghz but only one core

If you literally mean 6 GHz, the danger is we'll end up with something like Pentium 4 again. It'll have to be designed for high clock, but it doesn't necessarily follow it'll be high performance.

CPU cores from both sides are already pretty balanced on a performance basis. If it was easy to make a higher performing core without breaking either the power budget or cost budget, they would. Basically it'll be a lot of pain to deliver something that would only be a niche benefit.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 9/19/2021 at 4:54 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Yeh, but the post you quoted said specifically for gaming... tbh I dont *really* know what's the point of "little" cores but I do have the feeling those cpus are going to suck for gaming in general,  coupled with weird DDR5 shenanigans (latency issues) its probably gonna suck even more. We will see when there a proper benchmarks , but this is what it looks like to me currently. 

It's going to be transparent to you because the OS and microcode are going to be scheduling tasks anyways. The idea is that minor tasks (background processes, light game threads like sound/network) get shoveled to atom where it keeps the Core from getting interrupted and the atom cores work far more efficiently than Core does.  Roughly each Atom core counts for 60% of a Core, and yeah Intel did explore just putting 12 Cores together instead of doing 8+8.

Long term the goal is laptops and datacenters.  Intel is trying to get ahead of ARM taking over servers with 9000 core boxes, so they're going to make their own 256 core atom parts.  It's obviously not for all customers though but certain shit like networking scale up really well to high core counts.   Laptops: well there's obvious advantages to using higher performance/watt Atom cores than Cores.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)