Airflow Setup for VR PC Build in Kallax Bookcase

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: VR

Hi Guys so i am planning a PC build in one of the squares of our IKEA Kallax Bookcase using the Door Insert thing they have

So i have an acrylic "test bench" to mount the motherboard on. The plan is to have the IO cut out at the back to easily plug everything in there and keep the front clean with the door hiding everything. Also getting a wifi enabled power button so can either turn on from the button on the MB or the Remote.

For cooling I was thinking airflow to make mounting fans on the back easy as i dont think the flimsy wood stuff is strong enough to hold a radiator for a long period of time.

As such CPU cooler standard Noctua NH-D15 and then to enable airflow I am not sure about the flow setup. With the door there are about half a centimetre of gap around the door.

I am getting 2 of these fan grilles to mount the noctua NF-S12A fans to

AC Infinity Ventilation Grille, for PC Computer AV Electronic Cabinets, also mounts two 120mm Fans : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

However how should i set them up?

Both sets of fans setup to pull air into the enclosure from the back, Both to pull air out of the cabinet or setting them up to be opposite? 

I doubt the front gaps will be sufficient to establish good airflow. Have you considered modifying the door. Look for images of "Kallax door hack" for some examples. A simple 100 mm - 150 mm high cutout with a screen / mesh backing should look okay and eliminate airflow concerns.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

I doubt the front gaps will be sufficient to establish good airflow. Have you considered modifying the door. Look for images of "Kallax door hack" for some examples. A simple 100 mm - 150 mm high cutout with a screen / mesh backing should look okay and eliminate airflow concerns.

Ye I've seen a few but the wife will in no way let that happen lol. She's already modified the doors in a specific style. Which is sort of why i thought 2 cabinet airflow cut outs at the back with one set pulling air in and the other pulling air out

The problem with adjacent fans moving air in opposite directions is the tendency to move the same air.

Any chance of venting out the top or side?

10 hours ago, brob said:

The problem with adjacent fans moving air in opposite directions is the tendency to move the same air.

Any chance of venting out the top or side?

ye thats the problem i thought it might cause. Venting out top, bottom or side im not sure as the sides of the Kallax are a bit weird. I'll test out the temps when i build it with both setups

Depending on drawer and cooler height, you may be able to mount  a horizontal panel so that air can be directed in from the rear bottom across the motherboard, then up and out the back at the top. If the horizontal panel extends out the back it should reduce the tendancy to recirculate the same air.