Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it worth upgrading to a 3070 and switch out some things or should I wait and get a new one?

Go to solution Solved by SorryClaire,
3 minutes ago, gulaadam said:

evga GQ 850 hybrid modular 80+ PSU

EVG geforce gtx 1080 founders ed

amd rysen 7 1700 proccesor

msi x370 gaming rpo carboin socket-am4

corsair hydro h60 cpu

corsair vengence LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16gb

Those would still sustain you for awhile, and i definitely would shoot for a GPU instead of a quick upgrade with used 3700X. But as @Dr0idGh0sT try to get things at MSRP, you can get 3080 for 3070 street price right now.

corsair hydro h60 cpu

If you have money for it, Try to get video card at MSRP. Id you can do it, Than it's worth upgrading, If can't, It'll cost you more than it's worth.

3 minutes ago, gulaadam said:

corsair hydro h60 cpu

Those would still sustain you for awhile, and i definitely would shoot for a GPU instead of a quick upgrade with used 3700X. But as @Dr0idGh0sT try to get things at MSRP, you can get 3080 for 3070 street price right now.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

17 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

If you have money for it, Try to get video card at MSRP. Id you can do it, Than it's worth upgrading, If can't, It'll cost you more than it's worth.

ah okay thanks

16 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

okay thanks, there doesen't seem to be any in sweden,

As someone who has had a 1700 I would say that you probably want to upgrade your cpu before upgrading your gpu because often times the cpu will be the limiting factor especially qt 1080p and 1440p. If you are playing at 4k then I guess it doesn't matter though. The 1080 isn't a bad card and you can find cpus at msrp while gpus are not anywhere near their msrp. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

As someone who has had a 1700 I would say that you probably want to upgrade your cpu before upgrading your gpu because often times the cpu will be the limiting factor especially qt 1080p and 1440p. If you are playing at 4k then I guess it doesn't matter though. The 1080 isn't a bad card and you can find cpus at msrp while gpus are not anywhere near their msrp. 

hmm sorry claire said that upgrading the cpu is not worth it if I haven't misunderstood it, maybe I'll wait, but waiting too long I might have to upgrade to a completly new, someone said that it's almost never worth it to upgrade, can I get a cpu and then get a new gpu later? if I should, which cpu should I get?

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

If you are playing at 4k then I guess it doesn't matter though.

It wont matter even at 1440p, we are in the game of GPU bounded again.

1 minute ago, gulaadam said:

there doesen't seem to be any in sweden

Yeah because everyone wants them. Honestly besides that, a 2080 Super or 2070 Super (and their non super counterpart) would be a tangible upgrade but not drastic like going for a 3000 series.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

1 hour ago, gulaadam said:

corsair hydro h60 cpu

upgrade to a 5600x or if you want 8 cores go for 5800x because the 1700 im not saying its bad but it will hold you back alot of fps even with a 2070 and wait for gpu prices to go down if you are doing a cpu upgrade on the same platform/amd make sure you update your bios

• CPU
    10700k 5ghz all core
    1.275, 0 Avx 47 Ring Ratio 
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z590 A Pro
  • RAM
    Hyperx Fury 2x8gb 2666mhz
  • GPU
    RTX 3080 Gaming Oc Revision 2
  • Case
    CoolerMaster H500
    2x 200mm front, 200mm top, a12x15 back
  • Storage
    970 Evo Plus 500gb, Sn550 1tb, 2tb barracuda, 860 evo 500gb, wd 5400rpm 1tb
  • PSU
    RM750x
6 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

It wont matter even at 1440p, we are in the game of GPU bounded again.

Yeah because everyone wants them. Honestly besides that, a 2080 Super or 2070 Super (and their non super counterpart) would be a tangible upgrade but not drastic like going for a 3000 series.

I have owned a 1700 and a 1080ti before and at 1440p it will absolutely bottleneck in quite a few titles. I can't imagine a gpu that they can purchase that wouldn't lead into a pretty heavy bottleneck even at 1440p. 

7 hours ago, gulaadam said:

hmm sorry claire said that upgrading the cpu is not worth it if I haven't misunderstood it, maybe I'll wait, but waiting too long I might have to upgrade to a completly new, someone said that it's almost never worth it to upgrade, can I get a cpu and then get a new gpu later? if I should, which cpu should I get?

You can get the r7 3700x as a drop in replacement into your current motherboard https://se.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box

You can buy one new in Sweden qt the following locations. Or alternatively you can opt for the r9 3900x which is 12 cores instead of the 8 cores you get the the 3700x. Both cpus are significantly faster than the 1700 and will allow you to hit much higher fps when you can upgrade your gpu in the future https://se.pcpartpicker.com/product/tLCD4D/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-36-ghz-12-core-processor-100-100000023box.  Granted you will need to update your bios to allow for the 3000 series cpus. https://amp.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdqs1e/anyone_here_using_ryzen_3000_on_msi_x370_gaming/