Switching from AIO to Air cooling and a new vented case

Kasenumi

Hi everyone
I am planning to switch my AIO to air cooling and I want to buy a new PC case to have a best possible airflow. Please help me choose.
My current CPU cooler is Cooler Master Masterliquid 360 RGB  The reason is I want to have a more reliable option and in general I dont want to think about the possibilities of RMA, pump fail, liquid leak on other components while have to leave PC on going outside or going to sleep. Also I don't OC my CPU a lot so I think having an AIO is an unnecessary risk and CPU temperatures are gonna be similar under load. Buying a new cooler is a lot cheaper than RTX 3070 (if AIO leaks on my GPU). I also don't like the idea of hot air from the radiator heating up my components. A performance cooler  that will live for a long time without a need to replace it, change liquid etc. 
I am thinking of Noctua NH D15  as an air cooler. From what I know there is no alternative to NH D15 performance as a CPU air cooler. 
As for my current PC case it's be quiet! Dark Base 700 which doesn't offer too much airflow. In demanding games like RDR Online I have to remove the front panel to drop temperatures on my GPU, It gives additional 5-7C drop on GPU. The new case I am consiedering to buy is be quiet! Silent Base 802 which seems to be one of the best cases for airflow (mesh front panel and upper panel). Or so I think after reading forums, watching videos etc. Also I want to have 3x 140mm fans on front intake for the best possible airflow.
In short, I need the best possible PC case for airflow without AIO radiator heating up the air inside my case. The case which works well with Noctua NH D15 and might give better thermal results than my current build.
Please give me some advice. 

Case: Fractal Design Torrent;
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8GB;
RAM: G.Skill Flare X, DDR4, 16 GB,3200MHz, CL14;
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH D15;
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3;
PSU: be quiet! 700W PURE POWER 11CM 80+Gold;
SSD 1: SanDisk Extreme PRO 500GB PCIe x4 NVMe;
SSD 2: PLEXTOR PX-1TM9PeY 1TB SSD

If you're going to be using a standard atx board, nothing is going to beat the Fractal Torrent for airflow.

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

If you're going to be using a standard atx board, nothing is going to beat the Fractal Torrent for airflow.

yes, ATX. I heard top mounted PSUs aren't too good for gaming PCs though...

Off the top of my head the Fractal Torrent ( I want) and Meshify C. If you have or buy good fans, the Meshify C is tough to beat. There is nothing wrong with the PSU up top. If you have the cash for the Torrent that is the case that makes me moist. I will touch it inappropriately. When I finish paying for my GPU I'm going to get it 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

8 hours ago, Kasenumi said:

If this were true, that case wouldn't be destroying other cases in the lowest gpu temps in benchmarks. 

Many moons ago the PSU was always at the top of the case.. I have a stacker that has room for one at the top and one at the bottom.. dual PSU.. and it has wheels 🤯

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

On 9/18/2021 at 1:04 AM, Kasenumi said:

I dont want to think about the possibilities of RMA, pump fail, liquid leak on other components while have to leave PC on going outside or going to sleep.

The chances of an AIO failing in the first several years are low. Stop worrying about the possibility of it failing.

I also don't like the idea of hot air from the radiator heating up my components.

In demanding games like RDR Online I have to remove the front panel to drop temperatures on my GPU, It gives additional 5-7C drop on GPU

Mount the rad at the top as exhaust.

How is your case airflow currently laid out? Are you using any custom fan settings?

From what I know there is no alternative to NH D15 performance as a CPU air cooler.

There are certainly similarly performing alternatives like the Assassin III or PH-TC14PE. You can find more here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/891730-cpu-cooler-performance-tier-list/

If you're not oc'ing, there are plenty of weaker coolers that would do a similar job.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The chances of an AIO failing in the first several years are low. Stop worrying about the possibility of it failing.

Mount the rad at the top as exhaust.

How is your case airflow currently laid out? Are you using any custom fan settings?

There are certainly similarly performing alternatives like the Assassin III or PH-TC14PE. You can find more here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/891730-cpu-cooler-performance-tier-list/

If you're not oc'ing, there are plenty of weaker coolers that would do a similar job.

My current case doesn't have the option of top mounted exhaust. I have ordered Noctua NH D15 and wanted to purchase Fractal torrent case but it seems to be out of stock due to some short circuit issue.

Would you advice some alternatives to it? Good quality and excellent airflow?

34 minutes ago, Kasenumi said:

My current case doesn't have the option of top mounted exhaust. I have ordered Noctua NH D15 and wanted to purchase Fractal torrent case but it seems to be out of stock due to some short circuit issue.

Would you advice some alternatives to it? Good quality and excellent airflow?

From the same company Meshify-2 is also good (I am using it right now), but Lian-Li cases are also nice. Depending on size etc you may want to try out the O11 air series.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

2 hours ago, Kasenumi said:

My current case doesn't have the option of top mounted exhaust.

The Dark Base 700 does support top mounted 360mm rads. Some examples: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/r2QRsY#h=203433,338441,151841,319297

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:10 AM, Kasenumi said:

bs

the top is many for aios or rads. dosent really do much for a tower cooler. posably if the back top fan was in take to cool the vrm but that can mess with the air flow for the gpu so...

i guess one can argue the if the back fan was not enough to exhaust  some hot air would go in to the psu and posably make the fan spin. but they barely spin if any as is so i wouldn't worry about that. 

there a cpu coolers better then the d-15 and cheaper but the d-15 is good too i have one. Noctua is good at making new mounting for sockets sometimes even give you for free so i heard. so theres that. there easy to mount too.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 9/18/2021 at 2:54 PM, freeagent said:

Many moons ago the PSU was always at the top of the case.. I have a stacker that has room for one at the top and one at the bottom.. dual PSU.. and it has wheels 🤯

wheels you fen crazy....

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

imo Lian Li LAN2MPX LANCOOL II MESH.

torrent

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower

an open air case would top any closed off case like the thermaltake core p series

Edited by thrasher_565

Okay so I have ordered Fractal Torrent case.

Would changing 3x stock 140mm fans on the bottom and 2x 180mm fans on the front to Noctua AF-14 be an improvement in airflow and temperatures?

Would changing 3x stock 140mm fans on the bottom and 2x 180mm fans on the front to Noctua AF-14 be an improvement in airflow and temperatures?

Not worth it.

A lot of the cost of the Torrent has the case fans baked in. There's little point in changing the fan cocnfiguration of the case if you're buying the Torrent, and if you were planning on doing so I would have gone with a different case.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

wheels you fen crazy....

Lol it’s a big case 😄