Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do my system drives fill up quickly but my other drive dont? And How do I use the data drives?

Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,

Windows won't automatically start storing stuff on the other drive, you have to put stuff there yourself and setup programs to use the second drive for storage.

Windows won't automatically start storing stuff on the other drive, you have to put stuff there yourself and setup programs to use the second drive for storage.

Quote me if you want me to get a notification. (if it's not my own thread)

Always assume I'm not using Windows unless I say I am. I'm usually using a Linux+GNU operating system.

It's best done on a clean install of windows so you don't break any programs or anything while redirecting.
From that window you screenshotted, right click the desktop folder and select properties, click the location tab, read information, D:\Desktop is a great location, or use the "move..." button to select the location you want the files placed on the desktop to accumulate.
follow the same procedure for all the other file storage directories (documents, downloads, music, pictures, and videos) changing the D:\* to fit.
Installing programs is usually just remembering to change the drive letter. Keep critical programs like antivirus on the OS drive.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 hours ago, Cyracus said:

It's best done on a clean install of windows so you don't break any programs or anything while redirecting.
From that window you screenshotted, right click the desktop folder and select properties, click the location tab, read information, D:\Desktop is a great location, or use the "move..." button to select the location you want the files placed on the desktop to accumulate.
follow the same procedure for all the other file storage directories (documents, downloads, music, pictures, and videos) changing the D:\* to fit.
Installing programs is usually just remembering to change the drive letter. Keep critical programs like antivirus on the OS drive.

thank you ma man