Need to know if the following ports can connect 1080p @144Hz

Kunal Das

I got a Dell G3 3590 with 1660ti, and i7-9750H.

It has two ports - One marked as DisplayPort 1.4, and other is normal HDMI, which as per Dell's document is an HDMI 2.0 port. I want to buy a new monitor with 144Hz refresh rate. Do these two ports support 144Hz refresh rates? And do any of them connect with the GPU directly on a laptop or the GPU is switched when playing games just like happens with the native monitor on the laptop?

4 minutes ago, Kunal Das said:

I got a Dell G3 3590 with 1660ti, and i7-9750H.

It has two ports - One marked as DisplayPort 1.4, and other is normal HDMI, which as per Dell's document is an HDMI 2.0 port. I want to buy a new monitor with 144Hz refresh rate. Do these two ports support 144Hz refresh rates? And do any of them connect with the GPU directly on a laptop or the GPU is switched when playing games just like happens with the native monitor on the laptop?

Both of those ports are capable of running 1080p 144Hz. It depends on the laptop if it's switch or run directly through GPU, and you'd have to really scour the documentation to figure out which. I'd probably just pick the cable that you have and it should work fine.