Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sennheiser HD598 or 58x

Hello everyone. I play a mix of games. Warzone and other fps games, chivalry 2, SWTOR. I already have a set of 598Sr and love them. I am treated by the HD 58x though and hear alot of people use them for gaming and say they are awesome for that. So I saw an open box one on eBay and one in auction and got them for $107 plus $11 shipping. They should be here Monday. Now, of course I'm seeing a ton of posts on various web forms and subreddits for people are saying they're actually not good for gaming because of their narrow sound stage and that the imaging is not that impressive.

So when the 58x gets here I will try to test it against my 598, but I guess the question is those of you who have had experience with the 58x and the 598 what would you consider to be better for gaming and why? Some of the posts I've seen are making me have buyers remorse before it's even gets here but I see others go in the completely opposite directions saying they're amazing for gaming so I guess I'm just confused.

I used to have the HD598 then I switched to HD650... the 58X looks like are based on the HD6xx line but I haven't personally tried them so can't comment. 

But I definitely like my HD650 over the HD598 so if the 58x are similar, it will likely be good. 

Anyways, sound is something you either like or don't, it's very subjective and it's like a food, everybody has a different taste. You can look at reviews all day long and have a general idea of what to expect but until you can try it, you'll never know for sure if you'll like it. 

Compared to the HD58X I feel like the 598 is "more, but worse". The 598 has more bass but it's markedly lower quality. The 598 has a larger soundstage but both the accuracy and precision of things in that space are worse. The 598 has more treble but that treble lacks finesse and transients often feel smudged, as it has a combination dip and ringing in the laid-back region (not nearly as bad as the one on the Takstar Pro 80/HyperX Cloud but still fairly similar). And the mids on the 58X are straight-up better.

But if you'll be getting it anyways, what's the point of checking for a second opinion? Maybe you value the fun factor that quantity over quality brings, and there's nothing wrong with that. In the off chance you end up liking the 598 more than the 58X, that's valuable information when deciding where you want to upgrade to next. Headphone preference is often a subjective personal thing, and the most important opinion is your own.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:09 AM, Nimrodor said:

Compared to the HD58X I feel like the 598 is "more, but worse". The 598 has more bass but it's markedly lower quality. The 598 has a larger soundstage but both the accuracy and precision of things in that space are worse. The 598 has more treble but that treble lacks finesse and transients often feel smudged, as it has a combination dip and ringing in the laid-back region (not nearly as bad as the one on the Takstar Pro 80/HyperX Cloud but still fairly similar). And the mids on the 58X are straight-up better.

But if you'll be getting it anyways, what's the point of checking for a second opinion? Maybe you value the fun factor that quantity over quality brings, and there's nothing wrong with that. In the off chance you end up liking the 598 more than the 58X, that's valuable information when deciding where you want to upgrade to next. Headphone preference is often a subjective personal thing, and the most important opinion is your own.

That's very true so I've decided I'm going to give myself at least a month with both of them to pick which one I like and I'm not going to ignore the option that it might make sense to just keep both, one might be better for one type of games versus the other