#troubleshoot

sgt_assassin123

So I have a Ryzen 7 5800x and the cpu has a good mount with my AIO but under load it hits upwards of 89c and hovers idle at 50c.....I am using a 240 radiator and plenty of air flow but no matter what I keep pegging out the cpu with only 4.4ghz all core with default settings......any idea what else I can try?

36 minutes ago, sgt_assassin123 said:

So I have a Ryzen 7 5800x and the cpu has a good mount with my AIO but under load it hits upwards of 89c and hovers idle at 50c.....I am using a 240 radiator and plenty of air flow but no matter what I keep pegging out the cpu with only 4.4ghz all core with default settings......any idea what else I can try?

With almost any AIO except some early 120mm or smaller AIOs that shouldn’t happen with a good mount.  It implies either the mount isn’t actually good or there is something wrong with the AIO.  Is it making any weird noises perhaps?  Is water actually flowing?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Temps could indicate poor silicon in cpu, could indicate problems with AIO.
In bios set thermal limit to 82-85, (pbo boosting tends to dump clocks while still getting hotter in my experience)
You can also experiment with ppt limit in pbo settings to reduce heat production. I think 5800x does good at 105w ppt... maybe a bit higher, memory fuzzy atm. Test to confirm bester performance

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

39 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Temps could indicate poor silicon in cpu, could indicate problems with AIO.
In bios set thermal limit to 82-85, (pbo boosting tends to dump clocks while still getting hotter in my experience)
You can also experiment with ppt limit in pbo settings to reduce heat production. I think 5800x does good at 105w ppt... maybe a bit higher, memory fuzzy atm. Test to confirm bester performance

There’s a limit to how poor silicon can be though before the chip is downgraded to a lower end model, and I think the numbers quoted exceeds them.  Unusually bad airflow is also an outside possibility. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s a limit to how poor silicon can be though before the chip is downgraded to a lower end model, and I think the numbers quoted exceeds them.  Unusually bad airflow is also an outside possibility. 

Multiple factors at play... @sgt_assassin123 What case do you have? how is radiator mounted with tube placement? How are fans positioned?

I 've been forgetting since I have a behemoth radiator now, but temp left to roam above ~82C consistently led to lower performance for me. So that's why I mentioned that. 

The bit about limiting ppt, ppt=power=heat (Conservation of energy, electricity delivers power, computer does computing, power becomes heat) and personal experience is these cpus will do thermal runaway junk if the manufacturer stock settings are particularly bad. Haven't ran stock settings in ages because I don't appreciate the excessive voltage it uses, it made things very hot with no tangible benefit, and often deficits, that was with a very small cooler though.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W