Ubuntu 20.04 Lock symbol on OS files

I tried changing permissions on my files but it didn't change. When I checked the permissions they are all rwx already.  Any suggestions or links to read are appreciated.  I'm teaching myself linux and keep trying to figure it out. Thanks.

Go here: https://linoxide.com/20-ls-command-linux/

Scroll to 2) Use long listing format

"

1st column

The first letter d does the content is directory or file. On the screenshot above, Desktop, Documents, Downloads and lynis-1.3.8 are directories. If it - (minus sign) it means that the content is file. While if it equal with l (small L character), means the content is link file.

The next 9 character is about file permission. With the first 3 rwx characters are for Owner of the file, the second 3 characters are for Group owner of the file and the last 3 characters are for worldwide access to the file."

5800X3D -30 CO | 7900 XT | 2x32Gb Vengeance @ 3600 | MSI X470 | Sabrent Rocket 512 | 2x1Tb Vulcan T-Force | Seasonic Focus GX-750 Gold

Dell S3220DGF - curved 32" 1440p 165Hz

You can see the same thing using a Terminal like in the screenshots, navigating to the directory and executing 'ls -l'.  

5800X3D -30 CO | 7900 XT | 2x32Gb Vengeance @ 3600 | MSI X470 | Sabrent Rocket 512 | 2x1Tb Vulcan T-Force | Seasonic Focus GX-750 Gold

Dell S3220DGF - curved 32" 1440p 165Hz

I'm just trying to edit a document on my personal computer as I have been doing since I installed Ubuntu.  Then the lock symbol appeared for an unknown reason.  I already used those commands to verify the permissions were rwx. I've attached a screen shot.  This is a NTFS   volume.  I tried changing the permissions and the lock symbol persists.  

list.png

17 minutes ago, sendL said:

I'm just trying to edit a document on my personal computer as I have been doing since I installed Ubuntu.  Then the lock symbol appeared for an unknown reason.  I already used those commands to verify the permissions were rwx. I've attached a screen shot.  This is a NTFS   volume.  I tried changing the permissions and the lock symbol persists.  

list.png

NTFS does not support linux file permissions so your chmod, chown commands wont do anything.

Is this a mounted smb share? Or a mounted directory in Linux. If it's mounted make sure your mounting with rw priviledges and not read only.

Thank you all for the input.  Without any action of my own the lock has disappeared.  When I opened a file to edit there was message that there was a system crash and the documents had to be recovered.

Regarding a system crash this would be consistent with the freezing of the mouse click when using Ubuntu.

Any suggestions on topics to read that might rectify system crashes?

I'm dual booting with Windows 10, do I need a different distro?

Thanks

Try not to run everything as root.

@willies leg  I didn't realize I was.  In my images I am only in root to check the permissions. Do you have suggestions for a new user?