eBay Playstation (PSX) Woes

Accessless

Hi,

So I've recently bought myself an original playstation from eBay but I'm having problems with it. It will only run certain games that I own (yes all legitimate copies), all of these games run fine on my PS1 so I know that they all work. My concern now is that some sort of undisclosed mod has been made to the PSX. Does anyone know if this might be the case i.e. modding disrupting the use of certain games. The condition of the disks doesn't seem to be the issue (worse condition ones work fine but pristine ones do not) Also no laggy/slow cd reads on disks that will run. I can provide a list of working vs none working games if helpful.

Frankly I'm at a loss. I need to know so that I can return it if need be, but I have no idea what is wrong.

No mod would be able to stop certain games from being played as the only mods made at the time were to circumvent the region checks and disc authenticity, but from my experience with a late model original playstation it did start having issues with reading discs but not to the extent that it wouldn't boot the game though I did move to a PSOne shortly after it started.

This is the problem with collecting old hardware as the sellers might not be able to test it to the extent where they would know if it is fully working or has issues that would require parts to be replaced.

You can always try cleaning the lens/getting a new one/refurbished one.