Wait for new Ryzen CPUs?

Nem

Im in the market for a new custom PC build as I managed to get my hands on a graphics card recently.

For the CPU, I was thinking of getting the 5900X, but heard that new V-cache versions of those processors will be coming out soonish

Is it worth waiting for those new CPUs at this point? Is the performance gain enough to warrant a 3-6month wait (or however long itll end up being)

All just depends on if you wanna wait? Personally i would, just to get the best.

6 minutes ago, Nem said:

For the CPU, I was thinking of getting the 5900X, but heard that new V-cache versions of those processors will be coming out soonish

Is it worth waiting for those new CPUs at this point? Is the performance gain enough to warrant a 3-6month wait (or however long itll end up being)

AMD premiered the 3D cache on the 5950X back in June to showcase the performance boost you get. They did not say that they will come to Zen 3 CPUs IIRC (correct me if I am wrong), although, is more likely in Zen 4, which will not be around until next year. 

1 minute ago, Mdaisley2 said:

All just depends on if you wanna wait? Personally i would, just to get the best.

You'll always be waiting for the best technology out there. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

AM-5/Zen-4 is going to bring new things like DDR-5 RAM, so you are not likely to have backwards compatibility, except for the PCI-E devices (such as your new GPU).

So the choice is more about either getting AM-4 now or waiting for the AM-5 later IMO. Getting a lower end AM-4 CPU right now and then upgrading with a Zen-3 refreshlater is possible, but possibly not very wise.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

I would wait for it, because apart from performance the upgradability should be a lot better (current gen from both AMD and Intel will be last with DDR4/AM4/1200). But to me Intel's 12th gen looks even more promising. I would check benchmarks between them once both are out

26 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I would wait for it, because apart from performance the upgradability should be a lot better (current gen from both AMD and Intel will be last with DDR4/AM4/1200). But to me Intel's 12th gen looks even more promising. I would check benchmarks between them once both are out

Depending on the upgrade cycle, yes, as it may take a little while (say 18 months?) for the new generation hardware to become mature.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

9 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

AMD premiered the 3D cache on the 5950X back in June to showcase the performance boost you get. They did not say that they will come to Zen 3 CPUs IIRC (correct me if I am wrong), although, is more likely in Zen 4, which will not be around until next year. 

Thats interesting. I was under the impression that the 3D cache would be as part of an updated 5900/5950X, rather than in some completely new unannounced cpu (ie they were just showcasing the 3D cache 5950X as a tech demo rather than an actual product)

Can anyone comfirm one way or the other?

5 hours ago, Nem said:

Thats interesting. I was under the impression that the 3D cache would be as part of an updated 5900/5950X, rather than in some completely new unannounced cpu (ie they were just showcasing the 3D cache 5950X as a tech demo rather than an actual product)

Can anyone comfirm one way or the other?

Found something in an article but does not specify what products they could include, 

Su said that the company will be ready to start production with its "highest-end products" with 3D chiplets at the end of the year. This is just the first implementation of the stacking tech — AMD can use it for other functions in the future, too.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-shows-new-3d-v-cache-ryzen-chiplets-up-to-192mb-of-l3-cache-per-chip-15-gaming-improvement

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I tend to wait until the 5900x takes a big price drop or when the next big sale is up. Costs too much to keep up with next newest hardware unless its for a work computer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

22 hours ago, Nem said:

Im in the market for a new custom PC build as I managed to get my hands on a graphics card recently.

In PC land you can always be waiting for the next new part.