Recommendations on a new Chair?

aeonrjf

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to replace my cheap off-brand Chinese factory gaming chair I bought a couple years ago. To be honest, I'm relatively surprised with it having had two good years from it so far but it's time to upgrade now.

I'm 5'10", 165lb so shouldn't have any issues with chairs being undersized for me. I sit in my chair an average of 10-12 hours/day working from home + Gaming and other recreational PC usage - long-term comfort is key. And I'm open to switching to a chair that enforces better posture/ergonomics as I KNOW this gaming chair has enabled me to develop some nasty posture habbits.

I'm looking for a full mesh (back/seat) chair with good lumbar support, comfortable arm rests and has the full range of adjustability. Aesthetic is an afterthought but I'd be willing to spend roughly $50 more for something that looks really good, all else being equal.

Budget $300-600.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm down the research rabbit hole right now and need some help and/or real world user experience based advice!

Cheers!

If you can stretch your budget a bit, this would absolutely be worth it, I just got one myself and its a game changer.. like seriously a massive game changer...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08W152M1Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

If not, then something like one of these 2 would be great options as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MPS69S5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/NOUHAUS-Ergo3D-Ergonomic-Office-Chair/dp/B07L4ZQMDX/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=newhaus&qid=1631905994&s=home-garden&sr=1-8-spell

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I can't help with this question - not on purpose, anyway - but I've been looking for a new chair myself, and I wondered if anybody had any experience with the company that makes these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BBYG117/

They seem too good to be true, for the price. If they're not, though, they might be exactly what both the OP and I are after.

It's not a mesh backed chair but I picked up a SoftWeave Secret Lab 2020 Titan XL and love it. It stays super cool and after a few days of daily use it was broken in. Great chair.

The Herman Miller Aeron is also a very highly recommended chair if you can spend the extra cheddar cheese to get it. It ticks all of your boxes. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Thanks so much for the replies!

Definitely want the Herman Miller but it's about 3x my budget in Canada 😞

I was looking at the NOUHAUS Ergo3D myself and it seems to have everything I want - Thanks for the Validation! This may be my pick.

The other one I'm looking at is the FelixKing: https://www.amazon.ca/FelixKing-Ergonomic-Adjustable-Headrest-Reclining/dp/B094HT24MM/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=NOUHAUS+Ergo3D&qid=1631907156&sr=8-9

15 minutes ago, FruitOfTheLum said:

I can't help with this question - not on purpose, anyway - but I've been looking for a new chair myself, and I wondered if anybody had any experience with the company that makes these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BBYG117/

They seem too good to be true, for the price. If they're not, though, they might be exactly what both the OP and I are after.

That one is unfortunately $600 in Canada (https://www.amazon.ca/Ergonomics-Computer-Adjustable-Headrests-Backrest/dp/B07BKTDT3F/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=SIHOO+Office+Chair+Ergonomic&qid=1631907253&sr=8-5) - for that price i'd rather go with a trusted brand

BUT If it's that chepa in the UK - might be a steal?

9 minutes ago, aeonrjf said:

That one is unfortunately $600 in Canada (https://www.amazon.ca/Ergonomics-Computer-Adjustable-Headrests-Backrest/dp/B07BKTDT3F/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=SIHOO+Office+Chair+Ergonomic&qid=1631907253&sr=8-5) - for that price i'd rather go with a trusted brand

BUT If it's that chepa in the UK - might be a steal?

Ouch!

Might be a steal is what I've been trying to figure out! If it was a similar price in your country it might've solved both our problems, but $600, even Canadian, is definitely more than a gamble...

EDIT: Having said that, the reviews on the Canadian page are illuminating enough that I'm probably not going to take the gamble either, so I'll keep watching the thread!

I forgot to mention that we have Herman Miller's in the studio where I normally work pre-pandemic. The thing they do that i'm not sure these other chairs do is in addition to being able to set the recline, you can set a recline resitence so when you sit in them you sink into a natural comfortable position (once you've figured out the right resistence for your body weight).

I'm really hoping someone can chime in who has one of these OTHER chairs to let me know if that's also a feature they have or if that's just what truly sets Herman Miller apart.

It's really hard to tell from the listed feature sets on any of these chairs - Including the Herman Millers.

I got myself NeueChair lately it's fully mesh and adjustable, great quality too. It's awesome.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 9/17/2021 at 12:03 PM, aeonrjf said:

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to replace my cheap off-brand Chinese factory gaming chair I bought a couple years ago. To be honest, I'm relatively surprised with it having had two good years from it so far but it's time to upgrade now.

I'm 5'10", 165lb so shouldn't have any issues with chairs being undersized for me. I sit in my chair an average of 10-12 hours/day working from home + Gaming and other recreational PC usage - long-term comfort is key. And I'm open to switching to a chair that enforces better posture/ergonomics as I KNOW this gaming chair has enabled me to develop some nasty posture habbits.

I'm looking for a full mesh (back/seat) chair with good lumbar support, comfortable arm rests and has the full range of adjustability. Aesthetic is an afterthought but I'd be willing to spend roughly $50 more for something that looks really good, all else being equal.

Budget $300-600.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:13 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

If you can stretch your budget a bit, this would absolutely be worth it, I just got one myself and its a game changer.. like seriously a massive game changer...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08W152M1Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

22 hours ago, geo3 said:

Herman Miller Aeron. No question.

As someone whose office (before work from home) had a fleet of Herman Miller Mirra 2 chairs, I can confirm I too wish I had ponied up the extra money to buy something from them. Yes, they're way over your budget @aeonrjf, but they're built to last forever while keeping your body in as healthy shape as possible.

One thing I will caution against is doing a lot of research before buying any off-brand chair, as I've had at least 10 coworkers buy random "ergonomic" chairs from various stores, including an https://www.autonomous.ai/ chair, only to hear about how they're falling apart after 6-18 months working from home.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 9/18/2021 at 2:19 AM, FruitOfTheLum said:

I'm using it myself for about 3 months now (the basic version). I have been working from home for months, it pains my back a lot as I have to work for 10 - 12 hours per day so I decided to buy a "decent" but "cheap" mesh chair. After much consideration and weeks of searching, I got my eyes on the Sihoo M18. The assembling was pretty straightforward and it didn't take me long to finish it. On the first day, everything is great, the lumbar is comfortable and I was extremely satisfied, the next following days, not so much. The chair is making a lot of creaking noise whenever I lean my back or just by moving my back backward and forward a little bit and there was a strange liquid trail under the chair and on the cylinder (I guess it's some kind of lubricant oil). Then after a few more weeks, the creaking stopped so I don't get annoyed any longer. Overall it's great for the price and comfortable to sit for 10 - 12 hours but don't expect much from it and be cautious toward the lumbar, it's made of cheap plastic so don't tight it too much.

P/s: I'm 150 lbs

11 hours ago, kirashi said:

but they're built to last forever while keeping your body in as healthy shape as possible.

Can confirm. My Aeron is over 20 years old and still in grate condition despite daily use. I only had to replace the gas cylinder within the last couple years.   

On 9/19/2021 at 5:44 AM, onscreenname said:

I'm using it myself for about 3 months now (the basic version). I have been working from home for months, it pains my back a lot as I have to work for 10 - 12 hours per day so I decided to buy a "decent" but "cheap" mesh chair. After much consideration and weeks of searching, I got my eyes on the Sihoo M18. The assembling was pretty straightforward and it didn't take me long to finish it. On the first day, everything is great, the lumbar is comfortable and I was extremely satisfied, the next following days, not so much. The chair is making a lot of creaking noise whenever I lean my back or just by moving my back backward and forward a little bit and there was a strange liquid trail under the chair and on the cylinder (I guess it's some kind of lubricant oil). Then after a few more weeks, the creaking stopped so I don't get annoyed any longer. Overall it's great for the price and comfortable to sit for 10 - 12 hours but don't expect much from it and be cautious toward the lumbar, it's made of cheap plastic so don't tight it too much.

P/s: I'm 150 lbs

Thanks for sharing your experiences! The liquid trail sounds somewhat concerning...

Since posting my question I've lost interest in them though - I've dug through hundreds of reviews and on Amazon in various countries, and I've noticed a few negative reviews saying that the company has tried to pay them to get them to remove their reviews, which doesn't inspire confidence and might explain why the UK page seems to be much more positive overall than the Canadian one someone above linked to!

I'm probably going to save up a bit more money and get something a bit more expensive (not Herman Miller expensive, though...). I only built my PC in July, so my finances are still reeling a bit, but I'll figure something out! My current chair has lasted almost 15 years, so what's a few more months... 

If you HAVE to have mesh, Herman Miller is the one I'd trust.  I personally like the Mirra, but I'm only using one at work because I didn't pay for it.

Personally, my recommendation for office chairs is to go BIG AND TALL.  Find something with a 400-600lbs capacity.  Extra width is a plus, as it allows for unorthodox seating positions (anything to help ward off DVT).  The reason to go for high weight capacity (some are also listed as heavy-duty, shift-work, etc)...is resilience.  If it's supposed to stay cushy under a 500 lbs butt, it will stay cushy under my 200lbs butt for a LOT longer.

I actually found my current office chair 2 years ago and have been fairly pleased with it.  Cost around $250 and although the brand escapes me, and there's 0 frills (raise/lower, tilt lock and tension knob, that's it)--it has held up far better than all of those "flashy" racing-style gaming chairs that are about as durable as a sandcastle.

A quick search on amazon found an example, but there are many.

https://www.amazon.com/BBoliss-Swivel-Office-500Lbs-Capacity/dp/B08NB6QJFJ/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Office+Chair+500+Lb+Capacity&qid=1632330140&sr=8-9

On 9/17/2021 at 3:03 PM, aeonrjf said:

Hey Everyone,

Budget $300-600.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm down the research rabbit hole right now and need some help and/or real world user experience based advice!

Cheers!

ive been using a regular chair since 2014 ever since my computer chair broke haha

Secretlabs Titan Softweave was a game-changer compared to any other chair I ever had.

Been using this like 4 years now.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

4 hours ago, Daethz said:

Secretlabs Titan Softweave was a game-changer compared to any other chair I ever had.

Been using this like 4 years now.

That Titan XL softweave looks comfy as hell.