Windows 11: Will you be upgrading?

pythonmegapixel

Will you be upgrading?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What are you currently using on your main system?

• Windows 7
    • Windows 10
    • Windows 11 beta
    • A Linux distribution
    • MacOS
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you intend to install Windows 11?

• I already have the beta
    • Yes, on release day
    • Yes, a few days/weeks later (to ensure there are no major issues)
    • Yes, but a while into the future
    • No (not if I can avoid it)
    • Undecided
  3. 3. If you currently use Windows and don't intend to install Windows 11 - what do you intend to do?

• Switch to Linux
    • Switch to a Mac
    • Continue using my current version for as long as possible, then switch to a Mac or a Linux machine
    • Continue using my current version for as long as possible, then bite the bullet and install Windows 11
    • Other
    • Undecided / This question isn't applicable to me

Just wondering, considering a lot of the (fairly deserved) hate Windows 11 is getting, how many people are actually planning to upgrade to it?

There is a poll on this thread, but please do feel free to post below as well!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I'm going to install Windows 11 if these 2 criteria are met:

1. NVidia drivers for Kepler cards will work

2. You are able to install APKs without going through the Amazon App Store or something stupid like that

If they aren't, I'll stick with W10.

elephants

I am going to stick to Windows 10 unless there a major selling factor (so far there is none). Microsoft's business model of releasing operating system without QA testing is really getting on my nerves and I would rather upgrade once Windows 10 is EOL. That being said, I am already slowly migrating to Linux and OSX, only reason why I even got a windows machine is gaming.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Down the line I'll upgrade to Windows 11. I'll probably time it with a major hardware upgrade if I can, but otherwise I'll be sticking with my current installation of Windows 10 for now. This is the most stable copy of Windows 10 I've ever had, and that's really saying something given the fact that it runs 24/7 and has a lot of things running on it at all times. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

My main computer isn't supported, so I'll stick to W10 until I either upgrade the hardware or move to a different OS.

Might upgrade my laptop sometime after the people 'beta test' the official release of W11, possibly by the end of the year, or beginning of next year.

I'll stay with a win10, probably switch to 11 if i have better hardware and the possibly "early bug" or whatever that might came gone

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

My main OS is linux and windows only for apps that won't run nicely or won't run at all with linux. So i'm gonna wait to see if dual boot is possible and whether it will be complicated.

If i can dual boot nicely and no any other major issues, then i will upgrade the windows 10 to windows 11.

For the other, ill upgrade once I get a new system

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I may switch to Linux. I exclusively used Pop_OS! for a month as a test and I really liked it, most of what I do also already works on Linux just fine. I only need Windows for VR but I haven't really played any VR games in a while.

I'll probably stay on W10 for a bit longer though... too lazy to switch right now.

(I'm not hating on W11, I was just considering switching to Linux for a long time now anyways, also there is really nothing interesting about W11 for me).

Will upgrade but not until they revert their decision to make the taskbar unusable, which might take years. I like the other changes but this is a deal breaker.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Will upgrade but not until they revert their decision to make the taskbar unusable, which might take years.

What makes the taskbar unusable that can't be modified by user preferences? I agree that the centred icons are a classic example of form over function but they can be changed with a quick tweak to a setting can't they?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

10 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What makes the taskbar unusable that can't be modified by user preferences?

One button per window with titles. Unless it's changed recently (haven't tried again) it's donwnright not implemented in the new UI, changing the known registry keys for it does nothing. All you get is everything grouped into one icon and miniatures you have to guess the contents of in 2 steps.

Clipboard03.thumb.png.74364b197168267b211dac4f86759ce8.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Tested for about a week and decided to daily drive 11. In use as my main OS on my "Fun" rig and not having much (if any) issues. Just feels like a win 10 wrapper mostly. 

I do like the center start BTH. On an ultrawide it's nice to not have to travel so far for the "go button". I'm not as big a fan of the "dig through to find" settings menus and everything seems to require at least one extra click to get there with the right hand rodent. Overall though, I feel it's a small step in the right direction. 

If it actually improves the performance and user experience, I will use it when I upgrade my hardware to meet the requirements.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Microsoft's business model of releasing operating system without QA testing is really getting on my nerves

Isn't every other copy of windows just a QA test surely only 95, XP, 7 and 10 were actual finished products.

2 minutes ago, Rameares said:

Isn't every other copy of windows just a QA test. surely only 95, XP, 7 and 10 were actual finished products.

I very much disagree with that statement. As someone who religiously used latest software up until the release of windows 10, I can list many points on why windows 10 is the worst operating system Microsoft ever released. I can also argue that windows 10 was not a finished product before 1809 release which was released in October 2018, 3 years after it's first release. Windows 7 and even 8 were miles ahead when it came to overal stability.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Levent said:

I very much disagree with that statement. As someone who religiously used latest software up until the release of windows 10, I can list many points on why windows 10 is the worst operating system Microsoft ever released. I can also argue that windows 10 was not a finished product before 1809 release which was released in October 2018, 3 years after it's first release. Windows 7 and even 8 were miles ahead when it came to overal stability.

I can completely agree with this

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

One button per window with titles. Unless it's changed recently (haven't tried again) it's donwnright not implemented in the new UI, changing the known registry keys for it does nothing. All you get is everything grouped into one icon and miniatures you have to guess the contents of in 2 steps.

Clipboard03.thumb.png.74364b197168267b211dac4f86759ce8.png

I got used to the grouped icons. That said, my work PC is on Win10, so I am not sure on intense multi-tasking.

All I can say, is that the taskbar of Win11 (and start menu, and search panel) are all completely new code. It is missing other features as result, like drag and drop a file on an app from the task bar, or even pinning an app (any) with drag and drop. And of course, moving the task bar doesn't work. 

All I know is that Windows 11 interface is not done. Project name Sun Valley is actually split into 2 phases. The first one is the one will get at release which focuses on the core parts and what 'most users' interacts with, including the new Settings panels where it has even more settings from the Control Panel moved to it. Phase 2, coming out the following year, should, apparently (this is all rumors by the way), aim to bring dark theme on the file transfer/copy dialog box (not info if it will be redesigned or not...), same for Task Manager, and further polish, improvements based on feedback and finishing off the task bar.  Now again, this is all rumors that I have read over this past 2 years.

Main PC/Desktop - Arch

Laptop - Win 11

Why? Well because I only use my laptop while I am lying in bed in the morning/at night to watch a bit of YouTube, read some news, watch the odd movie or TV show, check emails etc etc. Its really not that big of a deal to me what OS it runs and I like being on the bleeding edge. I tried running Linux on it but the sound sounds horrible compared to Windows and my laptop is my media consumption device so I'd rather stick with the OS that makes that the best experience.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1gb ryzen/tr

support and drop tmp.. then i switch.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Windows 11 will be the first major Windows released since I went full time Linux. And considering the insane hardware requirements(including in vbox), I don't think I'll even get a chance to play around with it.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain