First build for AI and Gaming advice (aka Help out a locked down Aussie!)

mzfit
Go to solution Solved by adarw,

what do you already have we need a list, not just 

10 minutes ago, mzfit said:

I already have a couple of ya know Intel i7 16gb machines ssd machines, so dull, so I'd like this to be a little different.

be upgradable, so maybe a futureproofed motherboard and other bits I can upgrade as I get richer and braver

if you want upgradable i wont suggest buying now, as this is the end for new ddr4 stuff. no new amd gens are going to be compatible with the current gen mobos.

Budget (including currency): 1500 AUD (You can tell me I'm dreaming)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly dev with a decent amount of Ram and GPU for AI processing .. and a bit of gaming on the side.. just to keep me sane (or as insane as I'm comfortable with)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I already have a couple of ya know Intel i7 16gb machines ssd machines, so dull, so I'd like this to be a little different. Maybe AMD? Maybe not? Something easy to put together for a noob. And preferably not glass case .. they irrationally scare me. Acrylic? RGB's I'm up for crazy! And it needs to be upgradable, so maybe a futureproofed motherboard and other bits I can upgrade as I get richer and braver. The Australian market being what it is we are rampantly overcharged for anything here so I understand there are concessions to be made. Cheers!!!   Ohh and I have a asus vp348 monitor (main) and a 24" Dell uptop. I have i/o mouse etc. OS would be linux 🙂

I already have a couple of ya know Intel i7 16gb machines ssd machines, so dull, so I'd like this to be a little different.

be upgradable, so maybe a futureproofed motherboard and other bits I can upgrade as I get richer and braver

if you want upgradable i wont suggest buying now, as this is the end for new ddr4 stuff. no new amd gens are going to be compatible with the current gen mobos.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

8 minutes ago, mzfit said:

Budget (including currency): 1500 AUD (You can tell me I'm dreaming)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly dev with a decent amount of Ram and GPU for AI processing .. and a bit of gaming on the side.. just to keep me sane (or as insane as I'm comfortable with)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I already have a couple of ya know Intel i7 16gb machines ssd machines, so dull, so I'd like this to be a little different. Maybe AMD? Maybe not? Something easy to put together for a noob. And preferably not glass case .. they irrationally scare me. Acrylic? RGB's I'm up for crazy! And it needs to be upgradable, so maybe a futureproofed motherboard and other bits I can upgrade as I get richer and braver. The Australian market being what it is we are rampantly overcharged for anything here so I understand there are concessions to be made. Cheers!!!   Ohh and I have a asus vp348 monitor (main) and a 24" Dell uptop. I have i/o mouse etc. OS would be linux 🙂

I agree with @adarw but if you want to build a pc now this could work as a parts list, if there is any problems with it I can switch it up. 

5 minutes ago, adarw said:

Hi adarw, oh I don't want to use anything I have at the moment, that's why I didn't go into detail (sorry!), they are bought builds that are working fine for what they are so I'm just leaving them alone, I just was interested in trying my hand at building something myself. Cheers for the advice on the ddr4 stuff!

1 minute ago, archiso said:

I agree with @adarw but if you want to build a pc now this could work as a parts list, if there is any problems with it I can switch it up. 

There's no real rush, what I have works thus far and I wouldn't want to waste your time 🙂  A girls gotta dream bout new toys lol! The other option is making something dirt cheap from the soon to be superseded parts so that I make my initial build mistakes on cheap components perhaps? What do you guys think?

Just now, mzfit said:

There's no real rush, what I have works thus far and I wouldn't want to waste your time 🙂  A girls gotta dream bout new toys lol! The other option is making something dirt cheap from the soon to be superseded parts so that I make my initial build mistakes on cheap components perhaps? What do you guys think?

yep, once ddr5 comes out all the ddr4 based stuff will drop very far and fast.

Just now, archiso said:

yep, once ddr5 comes out all the ddr4 based stuff will drop very far and fast.

I do like the sound of that! At least for my first attempt, I used to be a tech so I'm a dab hand with ye olde soldering iron and circuits but that was for audio not pc so I'm keen not to destroy expensive pc gear.. Cheers again!

8 minutes ago, mzfit said:

due note that ddr5 is coming in like a year and a half, i just wanted to let you know if you build anything now your not going to have any upgrade paths for the cpu, motherboard, and ram.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

20 minutes ago, mzfit said:

And it needs to be upgradable, so maybe a futureproofed motherboard and other bits I can upgrade as I get richer and braver.

There's nothing that really will be upgradeable asides from the GPU. There's nothing that's really "futureproof" at some point you will have to upgrade again. If you're looking to delay the need to upgrade as much as possible, get the best of AMD and Nvidia and that should do it. That would be way out of your budget though.

For 1500 AUD, you can get a decent starter build, not sure how long it will last though. You can go with something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($239.00 @ Kogan) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($195.00 @ Centre Com) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($101.49 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($142.80 @ Amazon Australia) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card  ($599.00 @ Computer Alliance) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Total: $1535.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-18 04:09 AEST+1000