When do you replace your shoes?

WindirBear

I usually throw them away when I get a hole forming at the bottom.

My shoes right now.

Spoiler

20210917_060401.thumb.jpg.e25c29a26b8a8d79f6ae3c1a8bdbb25f.jpg

Running shoes: Until the wear on the bottom gets to where there is low tread and I can feel less cushioning.

Walking shoes: Until the treads are smooth at points on bottom, and also until the cloth on inside at heel wears out and becomes annoying/uncomfortable.

My wife is a veterinarian and is on her feet a lot, plus we run half marathons (and the occasional full marathon with a lot of run-walk). We've learned to get good shoes, and not push it as far as yours are worn, to try to keep the feet happy!

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

When do you replace your shoes?

Does it feel like youre ice skating when youre walking on linoleum? Yes? Then change it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

To be honest, I usually wear my shoes until they either get a hole in the front where my big toe is or until the back inside behind the heal has had all the fabric wear away and my foot is rubbing up against the bare plastic/leather/whatever. At that point, I wait for a sale at a local store and then buy a new pair. One store around here does BOGO $1 sales every few months, so that's usually when I buy.

I really shouldn't do that. I have enough money to comfortably afford getting shoes when I want, but the only improvement I've made over the years is that I now have three regularly worn pairs of shoes: work shoes, running/outdoor shoes, and casual shoes for more formal occasions, rather than just two - one casual and one for everything else.

My sneakers last around 2 to 3 years but I only wear them about 5 days a month.  My work boots on the other hand I replace every year, sometimes before a year is up they will be replaced.  My motorcycle boots....I haven't replaced in 9 years now.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

When they've fallen apart to the point of not being a shoe any more. I've had my Skechers for like 5 years or something and they're in god awful condition, but they still stay on my feet so meh. Winter is coming which means I can't use sandals or go bare foot everywhere any more.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

3 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

When they've fallen apart to the point of not being a shoe any more. I've had my Skechers for like 5 years or something and they're in god awful condition, but they still stay on my feet so meh. Winter is coming which means I can't use sandals or go bare foot everywhere any more.

This is excessive

Usually when they get to the point I go "eww" when I look at them. Thankfully, my 2 year old current pair of converse are fine.

When simply walking on wet pavement suddenly wets the underside of my socks.
Or when the inside wears out completely.

I've also repaired a pair of work boots with shoe glue before, looked ugly as balls, but at least they weren't broken anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 9/17/2021 at 11:05 PM, LloydLynx said:

Winter is coming which means I can't use sandals or go bare foot everywhere any more.

I wouldn't go bare foot outside if I were you. Good way to get Worms and/or your feet cut by something.

21 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I wouldn't go bare foot outside if I were you. Good way to get Worms and/or your feet cut by something.

I've had a whole summers worth of experience, that kind of thing usually doesn't happen. Plus I built up some really thick skin on my feet so minor sharp stuff doesn't bother me.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

30 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

I've had a whole summers worth of experience, that kind of thing usually doesn't happen. Plus I built up some really thick skin on my feet so minor sharp stuff doesn't bother me.

Worms then. Don't step in dog crap with bare feet.

• 4 months later...

i wear boots everyday for work and i replace them every 6 years or so. In that time I'll go through 2 or 3 soles since its cheap and quick to take them to a shop for a resoling.

my walking shoes i replace when there is a hole in the bottom but i don't even replace them right away because if its summer i can get away with wearing them till winter and then i have to get new ones when the ground gets wet

I have stupid high arches. A family trait. With a business to run and other duties I tear through shoes fast. Two months max. Letting shoes wear out can cause excruciating pain.

I'm good at sales. Really good. But in that role I will only wear sneakers. Dress shoes are murder and this has placed me at odds with many a CEO who wants business formal customer facing people. I can sell just as much in sketchers and a polo vs a suit. 

On 9/19/2021 at 4:03 PM, whm1974 said:

You must be from the south.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, wseaton said:

I have stupid high arches. A family trait. With a business to run and other duties I tear through shoes fast. Two months max. Letting shoes wear out can cause excruciating pain.

I'm good at sales. Really good. But in that role I will only wear sneakers. Dress shoes are murder and this has placed me at odds with many a CEO who wants business formal customer facing people. I can sell just as much in sketchers and a polo vs a suit.

Get a foot doctor give you a paper stating that you can't wear dress shoes due to high arches.

35 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You must be from the south.

Nope. Right here in Illinois, in a city.

Honestly- pretty much never. One of the best things I ever did was buy 4 pairs of really nice shoes that can be re-soled. Hefty outlay (a nice bonus from work helped) but now if the soles wear I just get then redone for a fraction of the price of a pair of cheap shoes. I haven’t replaced a pair in 8 years and can’t see myself needing a new pair in at least 8 more.

Shoes are one thing worth spending money on. As well as being repairable they are also incredibly comfy. Also being able to rotate pairs means that leather soles last a lot longer than wearing everyday, especially in wet weather. 

I replace my shoes when there's a hole that grows to the extent that it lets water through. At that point I just chuck the shoes and buy new ones.

Call me wasteful but I view getting them repaired is a temporary fix. Over time something else will wear out or the hole will come back. Plus I don't spend the kind of money on my shoes to warrant them getting repaired.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

I skate so I have to replace my skate shoes nearly every two to three months. When I was in high-school and I was skating everyday for a minimum of 3 hours a day I had to replace my shoes every 20 days. It was a real big hassle, especially coming from a middle class family. There was many a bloody toe I endured for days/weeks.