Gold Boom

Wictorian
5 minutes ago, adarw said:

if lets say earth gets so hot that its unlivable, then how can some people live while others die? surely everyone dies right? 

It won’t get so hot but even if it gets we have technology, you know.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:18 AM, Wictorian said:

I think you have the potential to do it yourself.

just kidding

you'll be or killed or sended in some shithole lol

On 9/21/2021 at 7:31 AM, Wictorian said:

It won’t get so hot but even if when it gets we have technology, you know. very little left to save us.

It has been predicted a long time ago that global warming would be the effect of us starting to burn fossil fuels on a global scale. Global warming also won't kill "half of all species" it doesn't care what lives and what dies and is scarily close to an "if you see the symptoms it it's pretty much too late" type of problem. Ecosystems are rather sensitive, that's why these small increments are such a big deal. Furthermore it's an accelerating process. For example, Earth warms up, ice melts, albedo lowers, more ice melts faster, albedo lowers even faster etc. Then you'll start getting chain reactions. Surface temperatures rise, worse and worse droughts will start setting in and affecting larger areas, plants will wither, food supply drops, animals kick the bucket and finally the entire ecosystem collapses.

The latest IPCC report basically says we're fucked if we don't take drastic action. There is pretty much no way we'll avoid the 1.5 C warming in a decade, so any effort now spent will be to keep it under 2 C or as little as possible.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

9 minutes ago, tikker said:

The latest IPCC report basically says we're fucked if we don't take drastic action. There is pretty much no way we'll avoid the 1.5 C warming in a decade, so any effort now spent will be to keep it under 2 C or as little as possible.

actually there are ways, but they will not be exercised

imo, we're already fucked up

besides some powerclown might even see it as an occasion to get more power

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

We might stay a little below 1.5 in the ideal case, but their latest report doesn't give much hope.

Global surface temperature will continue to increase until at least the mid-century
under all emissions scenarios considered. Global warming of 1.5°C and 2°C will be
exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in CO2 and other greenhouse
gas emissions occur in the coming decades.

The best of the better case scenarios gives some hope though:

Furthermore, for the very low GHG emissions scenario (SSP1-1.9), it is more likely than not that global surface temperature would decline back to below 1.5°C toward the end of the 21st century, with a temporary overshoot of no more than 0.1°C above 1.5°C global warming.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Maybe for silver but gold? Nah 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

14 hours ago, tikker said:

It has been predicted a long time ago that global warming would be the effect of us starting to burn fossil fuels on a global scale. Global warming also won't kill "half of all species" it doesn't care what lives and what dies and is scarily close to an "if you see the symptoms it it's pretty much too late" type of problem. Ecosystems are rather sensitive, that's why these small increments are such a big deal. Furthermore it's an accelerating process. For example, Earth warms up, ice melts, albedo lowers, more ice melts faster, albedo lowers even faster etc. Then you'll start getting chain reactions. Surface temperatures rise, worse and worse droughts will start setting in and affecting larger areas, plants will wither, food supply drops, animals kick the bucket and finally the entire ecosystem collapses.

What I mean is 2C is enough to alter the balance but not enough to (directly) kill us. I am saying it won’t get to 1000C.

6 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Maybe for silver but gold? Nah 

What’s the ultimate difference?

13 hours ago, 12345678 said:

besides some powerclown might even see it as an occasion to get more power

What do you mean we are already fucked up? For me it’s going extinct.

2 hours ago, Wictorian said:

What I mean is 2C is enough to alter the balance but not enough to (directly) kill us. I am saying it won’t get to 1000C.

That's the flaw in your thinking. It doesn't have to get to 1000 C to kill us. Our bodies have rather tight tolerances. If it's too cold we get hypothermia and we die. If it's too hot, we overheat, get exhausted and eventually get a heat stroke or die. There's a reason heat waves cause excess mortality. Temperatures from the 40s and up become risky to do more than simply existing. Crops can be super sensitive as well. Too long a drought, harvest fails, we have no food, we die. Don''t think of this as an instant-death scenario, it's like slowly boiling a living frog not noticing it's impending doom (except we willfully ignore it).

3 hours ago, tikker said:

That's the flaw in your thinking. It doesn't have to get to 1000 C to kill us. Our bodies have rather tight tolerances. If it's too cold we get hypothermia and we die. If it's too hot, we overheat, get exhausted and eventually get a heat stroke or die. There's a reason heat waves cause excess mortality. Temperatures from the 40s and up become risky to do more than simply existing. Crops can be super sensitive as well. Too long a drought, harvest fails, we have no food, we die. Don''t think of this as an instant-death scenario, it's like slowly boiling a living frog not noticing it's impending doom (except we willfully ignore it).

You are right I am not denying any of that. I am just saying I think it is being exaggerated and actually people are doing some things to counteract it. And then like we should stop using electricity.

This discussion about gold prices has gone way off topic.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450