Intel X520-T2 10Gbit cards not working with windows 10 X99 Deluxe Build

I bought 2 Intel X520-T2 10GBit cards to connect to my Ubiquiti 10Gb network switch, I can only get it to run at 1Gb. Device manager says its working properly, but task manager says it is paused. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled, i have downloaded drivers form intel 26.4  Not sure where to go from here, please help.

x520 5.PNG

x520 1.PNG

x520 2.PNG

x520 3.PNG

x520 4.PNG

Just for testing, can you boot a Linux Live USB and see if it works correctly there?  That should at least identify if its a hardware problem.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Alex,

Sorry for the delayed response I had a busy day with work and school and just got an opportunity to run the test you suggested. I flashed a USB with Ubuntu and booted to it. Ubuntu recognized it as 10 Gb and when writing to a local SSD I was able to get 450 MB/s from my Synology server. So obviously not ha hardware issue, I also checked my switch and it showed the connection as 10Gb. I then rebooted to windows and have the same behavior, did notice though that the switch still shows it as 10Gb even though windows shows 1Gb and performance is limited to 1 GB. Any other suggestions? 

Sadly not, I still have issues with file transfers going Win 10 to Win 10 myself on every PC I own (and I have a few).  There's something very odd going on with Windows networking lately.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

I am making use of an Intel X550-T1 NIC in a Windows 10 PC's at the moment. Aware it's a slightly newer card, but I don't recall having to install any of the Intel software. Windows grabbed the latest driver. All I had to do was enable jumbo frames to get it working at 10gbe. 

Definitely check to make sure jumbo frames are turned on. 

While it's probably not an issue on a X99 system, worth making sure there is enough free PCIE lanes available to the card. Some lower end X99 CPU's (5820k for example), don't have as many PCIE lanes available as compared to the higher end or xeon SKU's. While the motherboard may have the physical slots, the CPU needs to support them. I believe 10gbe usually requires 4x lanes. 

Thanks DogKnight,

I've enabled Jumbo Packets(Frames) and am running a 5930k with a RTX2070(16x) a single M.2(4x) the X520-T2(4x) and a 3.1 2 port USB card(4x) by my count that puts me at 28/40 lanes. Unless I'm doing something wrong I cannot figure this one out. I am pretty bummed I've been saving for this for a while, bought a US-16-XG and a USFXG to get 10Gb to my server room and my office. Hopefully I can find someone with a fix. I'm out of things I know to try. 

Is there any way to boost a post to get it in front of more people?

Simply by posting on the thread keeps it near the top. Keep in mind forum guidelines when doing this though.

Seems like you should have enough PCIE lanes. Some boards will disable some slots, or reduce available lanes if others are in use. Worth double checking your motherboard manual for information about PCIE lane distribution. 

Thanks Dog Knight, I have tried the card in several slots and it "works" at Gigabit speed in Windows, I have booted Linux and it works fine so i know its not a hardware/motherboard/pcie lane issue. 

Bugger. 

I am pretty much out of ideas mate. Definitely seems like a software issue from what you've said. 

May be worth cross posting this with the steps you've taken on a couple other forums like Level 1 Techs. Serve the Home may be helpful as well if they have a forum. 

Best of luck in sorting it out. 

Thanks my man, I'll try that. hopefully someone else on here might pop in. 

Jumbo Frames is honestly not necessary these days (and in my experience can cause issues on the Internet), if its working correctly to begin with it makes a marginal difference unless you have a weak CPU as identified from it working fine in Linux.

Its all very strange if the Switch is showing 10Gbit and Windows is showing 1Gbit, I wouldn't think that would even be possible.

Jumbo Frames is honestly not necessary these days (and in my experience can cause issues on the Internet), if its working correctly to begin with it makes a marginal difference unless you have a weak CPU as identified from it working fine in Linux.

Alex,

I am not sure I'd consider my CPU(i7-5930k 6 core 12 thread @ 4.4Ghz) weak, old but not weak lol. It should be more than capable of handling 10 Gbit traffic. The Linux test was to verify that it was not a hardware issue, and that it seems to be an issue with Windows interfacing with the X520-T2. I agree on jumbo frames but that was just a testing measure to see if I could get anything over gigabit speeds in Windows. 

I appreciate you jumping in here, anything else you can think of that I might try?

Cheers,

-David

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to resolve the issue with a fresh install of Windows, It still only shows 1.0 gbps  when you try to select speed, but now is you leave it on auto negotiation it will run at 10 gbps. Thanks for the help!