Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New GoPro Hero 10 Black Announcement

GoPro has announced another iteration of their action camera lineup, with the new Hero 10 Black:

Via Tech Crunch and Engadget:

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/16/gopro-debuts-the-hero10-black-action-camera/

GoPro today announced a new flagship action camera for its lineup, the HERO10 Black. The main update for the camera is a brand new processor inside, called the GP2, which enables big improvements to image quality and video captures, including recording at 5.3K revolution at up to 60 frames per second, 4K video capture bumped to a max of 120 FPS and 2.7K video at 240 FPS, which enables awesome slow-mo capabilities.

https://www.engadget.com/gopro-hero-10-review-a-big-invisible-upgrade-130041612.html

Almost exactly 10 years go, we reviewed the GoPro HD Hero 2. It wasn’t the first flagship camera from the company, but I’d argue it was instrumental in bringing the GoPro to the attention of the general public. Back then, the maximum resolution was 1080p, photos topped out at 5-megapixel and it came shrouded in that iconic waterproof housing.

A decade later, the Hero 10 Black (revealed today) offers a whopping 5.3K max video resolution, 23-megapixel photos, no longer needs a waterproof housing (for most uses) and has a slew of fancy shooting modes that we couldn’t even have imagined three presidents ago.

Many hardware things from the Hero 9 Black carry over, including the sensor, but GoPro dropped in a new processor, the GP2, which improves image processing, improves camera responsiveness, boosts video recording frame rates across the board (adding 5.3K at 60; 4K at 120 and 2.7K at 240 among things), and updating the image stabilization to the new HyperSmooth 4.0.

Otherwise, externally it is identical to the old Hero 9 Black meaning your Hero 9 Black accessories will carry over, but GoPro has brought back the  SuperView lens, which offers an even wider angle capture, and which will be available in new 5.3K 30/25/24 FPS capture modes when a firmware update arrives on November 16. That will also deliver support for GoPro’s Max Lens Mods, along with the ability to capture video in a variety of modes.

Battery life is an issue; it is being reported that the Hero 10 Black is even harder on the batteries than the old Hero 9 Black, meaning shorter recording times. Engadget reported that they could get the Hero 9 Black to record 4K at 30fps for about an hour and 40 minutes, while the Hero 10 Black only manages an hour and 10 minutes at the same resolution and frames.

Again, GoPro is pushing their yearly subscription service, pricing the GoPro Hero 10 Black at $399 USD with a bundled one-year GoPro subscription or for existing subscribers. Non-subscribers will pay $499 without the recurring sub, which will cost $49.99 annually or $4.99 per month after the trial. A bundle with a 32GB microSD card, a Shorty tripod mount, a magnetic swivel clip, and a additional battery will set you back $549USD without subscription, or $449 with one.

In short, this seems like a fairly minor update to the GoPro Hero Black lineup; I really don't see a need for anyone with the Hero 9 Black to upgrade, unless you need the small amount of additional features the Hero 10 Black brings. But for those with older GoPros or are looking to get one, this seems like something you should consider getting compared to the Hero 9 Black.

19 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

GoPro is pushing their yearly subscription service

theres a subscription? for what?

👀👀👀👀 

Seems great. The subscription thing is confusing. 

4K 120fps HDR is awesome.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

16 hours ago, adarw said:

theres a subscription? for what?

With a GoPro subscription you can get a "no-questions-asked camera replacement" if you damage your camera (twice per year) which is pretty sweet, as well as unlimited cloud backup for photo and video taken on your GoPro. Also allows you to livestream at 1080p to anyone using a private URL generated from your account and gives you discounts when purchasing products from GoPro.com.

Honestly, sounds like a great deal if you ask me. It's not a "you can't use your camera if you don't pay this" kind of subscription like the Hero 10 purchase options suggest and frankly $50 a year for unlimited video backup is a steal all on its own. I see no reason why any individual would pay for the non-subscription model - you're spending $100 more to not get all the features listed above, which are then available for $50 a year after the first year if you don't cancel it (which you can after one year). I guess this option is for studios/companies etc. who are buying these in bulk?

My PCs:

Timothy: 

i7 4790k

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair Carbide 300R

Just now, tim0901 said:

With a GoPro subscription you can get a "no-questions-asked camera replacement" if you damage your camera (twice per year) which is pretty sweet, as well as unlimited cloud backup for photo and video taken on your GoPro. Also allows you to livestream at 1080p to anyone using a private URL generated from your account and discounts when purchasing products from GoPro.com.

Honestly, sounds like a great deal if you ask me. It's not a "you can't use your camera if you don't pay this" kind of subscription like the Hero 10 purchase options suggest and frankly $50 a year for unlimited video backup is a steal all on its own. Frankly I see no reason why any individual would pay for the non-subscription model - you're spending $100 more to not get all the features listed above, which are then available for $50 a year after the first year if you don't cancel it (which you can after one year). I guess this option is for studios/companies etc. who are buying these in bulk?

oh cool! is this subscription only for the hero 10 or does it apply to all camera?

👀👀👀👀 

1 minute ago, adarw said:

oh cool! is this subscription only for the hero 10 or does it apply to all camera?

I think different parts of it are available to different products. The camera exchange is available for the GoPro Fusion and the Hero 5 or later, while the video upload is - I believe - for any GoPro except the Fusion due to its huge file size, as it seems to be handled through a companion mobile app. I believe you need a Hero 7 or later to livestream at all so that is probably a requirement for the livestreaming thing here as well.

My PCs:

Timothy: 

i7 4790k

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair Carbide 300R

7 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

I think different parts of it are available to different products. The camera exchange is available for the GoPro Fusion and the Hero 5 or later, while the video upload is - I believe - for any GoPro except the Fusion due to its huge file size, as it seems to be handled through a companion mobile app. I believe you need a Hero 7 or later to livestream at all so that is probably a requirement for the livestreaming thing here as well.

thanks!

👀👀👀👀 

The only thing I don't like about GoPros is that you can't change the wide angle lense to something more usable for other recordings. Not everything looks good in fish-eye optics. 

Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X - Scythe Big Shuriken 3 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - H100i GTX - Asus Prime X570 Pro - EVGA RTX2060KO - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 970 Evo - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Inwin 103 White - Dell U3415W - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 Legendary - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

On 9/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, FloRolf said:

The only thing I don't like about GoPros is that you can't change the wide angle lense to something more usable for other recordings. Not everything looks good in fish-eye optics. 

you can to some extent with this 9th/10th ones. but if you need something else there are dozens of smaller cameras now they you can stick whatever lens you want on.

9 was such a train wreck. the new processor seems to have fixed many of them.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review      Buy my old RX 580

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 9/19/2021 at 3:50 PM, FloRolf said:

Would be nice if the lens assembly could be detached and connected to the main box with a 2 meter wire or something adjustable. It's a mass placement thing I take issue with.