Fastest PCI 3.0 M.2 Drive?

JTPOTATO

Hi everyone!

Looking for the fastest M.2 PCIe gen 3 ssd on the market.

Now when I mean "Fastest" Read and write speeds aren't exactly what I'm looking for, I'm really looking for response times etc. as it's going to be used as the main OS drive

I have a laptop that has an 8th gen i5, 16GB ddr4 RAM, then I popped a corsair MP510 ssd in a couple years ago, and have never been happy with boot times and/or app loading times, all just seems pretty meh.

Now, I've just ordered a Samsung 980 on Amazon, as that seems to be the newest and (because samsung) probably the best.

But wanted to see what you guys would recommend.

I did look at the Intel 670p, but as it's QLC, i'm concerned about reliability.

really only needing 500GB absolutely maximum, but have noticed the faster speeds only can be had with the 1TB+ models

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

Hi everyone!

Now when I mean "Fastest" Read and write speeds aren't exactly what I'm looking for, I'm really looking for response times etc. as it's going to be used as the main OS drive

I have a laptop that has an 8th gen i5, 16GB ddr4 RAM, then I popped a corsair MP510 ssd in a couple years ago, and have never been happy with boot times and/or app loading times, all just seems pretty meh.

Now, I've just ordered a Samsung 980 on Amazon, as that seems to be the newest and (because samsung) probably the best.

really only needing 500GB absolutely maximum, but have noticed the faster speeds only can be had with the 1TB+ models

Thanks!

You're really not going to find much difference by replacing the MP510 with anything else. There will be faster, lower latency drives, but you won't make any noticable difference. The biggest Boot/launch problem is the mobile i5, and even if it was an i7, the extra speed wouldn't make a giant amount of difference.

15 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

Samsung 980 drives are PCIe Gen 4, though. (Since you asked for Gen 3)

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

3 minutes ago, whispous said:

You're really not going to find much difference by replacing the MP510 with anything else. There will be faster, lower latency drives, but you won't make any noticable difference. The biggest Boot/launch problem is the mobile i5, and even if it was an i7, the extra speed wouldn't make a giant amount of difference.

I think that's what I'm worried about.

My issue is I'm used to a desktop i7, and a intel 750 SSD that is still crazy fast.

Going to a laptop I use when out and about for work, it just seems really slow.

Just now, SEAL62 said:

I thought that, apparently the 980 are gen 3 and the 980 pro's are gen 4

18 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

What's the size of your current MP510, and how full is it? It's already a top notch NVMe drive and you likely won't get anything noticeably better than it, your problem seems to be somewhere else (and will likely happen with other SSDs).

19 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

That drive is both slower and has lower endurance compared to your current one. It's also dramless.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

41 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Optane drives are probably going to have the best performance if cost is not a concern.

Samsung 980 may be iffy due to how it does the RAM buffer.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

18 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

980PRO is gen 4, 980 (non PRO) is gen 3.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.