Anyway to fix a mouse that can't drag or hold a click

Rabolisk

I have a PC mouse that whenever I hold a click it does not register the "hold", but keeps thinking I let go of the left mouse button.. Is there anyway to fix this?

If you can solder, take the mouse apart and replace the switch. There's a good chance that it uses a Omron D2FC-F-7N switch. It's a relatively cheap fix if you already have the tools or can borrow some. I wouldn't buy the tools just to fix it unless your mouse is expensive to replace ($50+)

What he said.  Unless you have a rather pricey mouse, it's not worth the effort generally.

It's going to have to be a mouse you like. I've repaired a few of my mice now here at my house. I generally use the Japanese switches rather than the Chinese switches. I had several similar models though, so I ordered quite a few switches at once.

The switches are generally about ~$1.5 - $2 each for genuine Omron switches. While The left is generally the only one that's bad, I generally replace the right one as well while I'm in there. The others (back / forward etc) I don't touch unless there is a problem. Remember you also have shipping on those switches, so that's generally going to be at least $10 anyways.

Next the are almost always screws under the sliders / skates / feet of the mouse. If you heat these generally you can get them off unharmed, and reuse them if you really want. I've always ordered new. If you have a popular "gaming" mouse you should be able to find new ones, but new ones will cost you another $8-10 most likely, plus shipping again.

As you see you can quickly have $20 in repairing your mouse, and this is assuming you already have tools to solder and such. Below is one of my G502 apart:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

As you see you can quickly have $20 in repairing your mouse, and this is assuming you already have tools to solder and such. Below is one of my G502 apart:

Thanks. Well my mouse is only $15 at most so it's not worth the cost of repairing it sadly.

14 minutes ago, Rabolisk said:

Thanks. Well my mouse is only $15 at most so it's not worth the cost of repairing it sadly.

Not at all, unless you just wanted to buy the tools and parts and try doing it for fun on a mouse that is basically already "disposable."

Unfortunately this issue (and phantom double-clicks) are extremely common across many different brands and models of mouse now because they're all using basically the same switches. If you want to avoid running into this problem in the future, you could look at mice with optical switches (not absolutely immune to these problems but seemingly much less prone to them) or look at some of the mice Asus sells where the switches are actually in sockets so they can be replaced without soldering. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

get some 3 in 1 oil and open the mouse and put the oil on the switch and cycle it a few times.

oil is non conductive, so you don't have to worry about shorting or breaking anything new with it.

it sometimes works, if it doesn't, only other alternative it desolder and replace it.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac