External HDD disconnecting when copying files

FRD

Lately I have been having problems with my external HDD while copying files from my SD card using the card reader. The HDD is connected to a USB hub. The HDD has its own power source, the USB hub is not powered.

While copying 100+ files, it will only copy part of the files and then stop the process. The error will say something like: This location is non-existent (I forgot the exact sentence).

I checked after and it turns out that my HDD is disconnected because of this file transfer load. The drive letter still exists, but I can't open it. The SD card is still accessible.

The HDD works fine without transferring, I can browse and open files normally. Also, the HDD is healthy (checked with CrystalDisk) and has no errors or bad sectors. I already tried 2 different SD cards so far.

Update to the problem:

When plugging my USB 3.0 card reader into a 2.0 port, it can transfer all files without disconnecting. It's working, but USB 3 should work fine without issues, which it doesn't.

Can anyone help me solve my problem? Is it because the USB hub doesn't have enough power? Is my USB hub defective? Can it not transfer USB 3 speeds maybe?

The external HDD works fine without the USB hub, but I want to use the USB hub because it has a on/off switch for each USB and I only use the external HDD for transferring only. I could not use the USB hub, but then I need to go under my desk and plug it in and out every time I want to power it on and off.

The hardware I'm using:

- WD Elements USB 3.0 external HDD

- Sabrent USB 3.0 hub

- USB 3.0 card reader with SD card

8 minutes ago, FRD said:

-SNIP-

Try seeing if you can update the drivers for the USB 3.0 ports I have seen this before on some systems that use a third party chip and for the front USB where it will sometimes just auto disconnect and then reconnect the USB 3.0 ports. Eliminate the hub from the equation also when testing as less variables will help pint down the issue better. 

One thing I'm not clear, what USB port you use to plug the USB hub? is it case's usb port or straight from motherboard?

For mel case's USB is really bad and would disconnect randomly. Now I only use motherboard's usb port.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Try seeing if you can update the drivers for the USB 3.0 ports I have seen this before on some systems that use a third party chip and for the front USB where it will sometimes just auto disconnect and then reconnect the USB 3.0 ports. Eliminate the hub from the equation also when testing as less variables will help pint down the issue better. 

I will see if there's an update. The motherboard USB drivers or the USB hub's?

My front panel USB 3.0 ports are working perfectly fine, but I'm not using those.
I can try to do more test, trying out different USB connectors. The USB hub's cable is too short to reach from my desk to my PC, so I'm using the monitor's built-in USB hub.

1 hour ago, Goldilock said:

One thing I'm not clear, what USB port you use to plug the USB hub? is it case's usb port or straight from motherboard?

For mel case's USB is really bad and would disconnect randomly. Now I only use motherboard's usb port.

I just realize I'm using a hub on a hub. The USB hub is connected to my monitor's USB hub. The monitor's USB is connected to the motherboard. It's because neither the HDD or USB hub can reach my motherboard, I need a USB extension then. I'm using the 4th port on the USB hub, I can try other maybe.

I can confirm the HDD works fine without the USB hub, directly on the motherboard.

7 hours ago, FRD said:

I just realize I'm using a hub on a hub. 

More likely the USB Hub are not fed enough power consistently.

Is your USB hub sole power come from USB? If so you can try one that has separate power adapter see if it helps.

20 hours ago, FRD said:

I will see if there's an update. The motherboard USB drivers or the USB hub's?

My front panel USB 3.0 ports are working perfectly fine, but I'm not using those.
I can try to do more test, trying out different USB connectors. The USB hub's cable is too short to reach from my desk to my PC, so I'm using the monitor's built-in USB hub.

I just realize I'm using a hub on a hub. The USB hub is connected to my monitor's USB hub. The monitor's USB is connected to the motherboard. It's because neither the HDD or USB hub can reach my motherboard, I need a USB extension then. I'm using the 4th port on the USB hub, I can try other maybe.

I can confirm the HDD works fine without the USB hub, directly on the motherboard.

Daisy chaining USB hubs isn't usually the best thing, as said it could also be a power delivery issue. If needed you can get a USB extension lead or try to directly connect to the side or rear of the monitor to see if that resolves the disconnection issue. 

https://www.tripplite.com/2-port-usb-3.0-superspeed-desktop-extension-cable-male-2x-female-6ft~U324006DSK2

On 9/17/2021 at 7:19 AM, Goldilock said:

More likely the USB Hub are not fed enough power consistently.

Is your USB hub sole power come from USB? If so you can try one that has separate power adapter see if it helps.

Yes, pretty sure it's the case. The USB hub is not powered, but the monitor's USB hub I'm not sure about. There's a USB Type B going to the monitor that outputs in 2x USB 3.0 Type A, not sure if the monitor powers it's internal USB hub extra.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:25 PM, W-L said:

Daisy chaining USB hubs isn't usually the best thing, as said it could also be a power delivery issue. If needed you can get a USB extension lead or try to directly connect to the side or rear of the monitor to see if that resolves the disconnection issue. 

https://www.tripplite.com/2-port-usb-3.0-superspeed-desktop-extension-cable-male-2x-female-6ft~U324006DSK2

The reason I connected a USB hub to my monitor is to use multiple peripherals and that one external HDD. Unfortunately the USB hub can't reach my PC with the short cable.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know those existed. That's pretty much what I need, hope I can find it on Amazon or somewhere. If not, I will probably get a normal USB 3.0 extension cable and plug it directly into my PC. Also going to test first to connect the HDD to my monitor's USB directly.