Power supply made a bang noise and stopped working

Zehaoi

My power supply made a bang noise and stopped working however after a couple hours i tried to plug it in with another power plug and it made kind of a buzzing noise and then i waited another hour.  Then i tried to plug the new power chord in and my power supply started to work. Does anyone know why this happen please? My old power plug is broken and i am scared to try to plug the psu back into my system. I had enough power wattage to power my whole pc and my psu is the EVGA G2 650W power supply. There was no smoke and no signs of explosion when the bang happen and i only heard the sound. There was also quite a bit of dust build up in my psu and i have a carpet in my room so i don't know if that has something to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If it made any kind of noise like that, stop using it. What you should be doing is checking your components and making sure nothing is fried, and carefully remove your psu (and remove the cables that connected to the psu, as well).

You shouldn't have your computer directly on carpet. Make sure you get at least a sturdy piece of wood (literally whatever you can get from a hardware store, that makes sense for having a computer on top of it, while it's also on carpet).

Edited by GeorgeMKane

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

I wouldn't turn on the system with a PSU which went "BANG!!!" no matter if magic smoke or not... 

Get a new one as fast as possible and don't use the old one...

even if it was only a dust bridge that bridged components and got incinerated. Damages could be done and later on damage your system.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

4 minutes ago, Zehaoi said:

My power supply made a bang noise and stopped working however after a couple hours i tried to plug it in with another power plug and it made kind of a buzzing noise and then i waited another hour.  Then i tried to plug the new power chord in and my power supply started to work. Does anyone know why this happen please? My old power plug is broken and i am scared to try to plug the psu back into my system. I had enough power wattage to power my whole pc and my psu is the EVGA G2 650W power supply. There was no smoke and no signs of explosion when the bang happen and i only heard the sound. There was also quite a bit of dust build up in my psu and i have a carpet in my room so i don't know if that has something to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would replace the old power supply carefully and make sure that it is discharged in case something shorted to the chassis it's not worth frying your components or your house another thought is that if you live in Europe you may have a integrated fuse inside the power cord that popped but that should not make a bang sound either but that could explain why it was working after you replace the cord

2 minutes ago, Sagecrumpton said:

I would replace the old power supply carefully and make sure that it is discharged in case something shorted to the chassis it's not worth frying your components or your house another thought is that if you live in Europe you may have a integrated fuse inside the power cord that popped but that should not make a bang sound either but that could explain why it was working after you replace the cord

Really integrated fuse in the power cable? 

at least in good old germansky I haven't seen one of those. Sounds interresting.

ah I think I saw that on UK Power plugs... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Thanks for all the replies!

i do have a fuse in my power plug that i could take out as i like in england however there has been no signs of it being broken. Also, i was just wondering was there a reason that this happend so i can prevent it from happening again or did i just get unlucky. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Zehaoi said:

4 minutes ago, Zehaoi said:

Thanks for all the replies!

i do have a fuse in my power plug that i could take out as i like in england however there has been no signs of it being broken. Also, i was just wondering was there a reason that this happend so i can prevent it from happening again or did i just get unlucky. Thanks!

So the PSU *does work* with another power cord?  It's powering a PC just fine?

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

So the PSU *does work* with another power cord?  It's powering a PC just fine?

I haven't tried powering a pc with it however i did the paperclip test which worked fine.

You should stop using that power supply, at least until you have it checked.

The bang could have been caused by a mosfet or diode that exploded and failed in "open" state, as if it's no longer in circuit.

Often manufacturers use multiple such components in parallel to increase the current capability... for example, to be able to output 50 A of current on 12v - 50x12 = 600w they may use 4 mosfets each capable of 25A for a maximum of 100w... this way the mosfets don't run close to 100% and don't heat up as much.

If something blew up inside, pieces from that blown component could be moved around by the fan's air and potentially short other things and also if it's like I said above, the remaining mosfets could be overloaded even when your pc doesn't consume that much power, and could cause the other mosfets to overheat and blow up, and they could blow up shorted or in other more horrible ways and send more than 12v if you're unlucky to your components killing components.

If the bang came from the power supply, then a component has failed, possibly a mosfet. So it failed from inside out and not from overcurrent. So the fuse in your plug will be fine, but inside, something has broken. Don't use the PSU, you need a new one. 

What PSU is it? Is it still under warranty?

38 minutes ago, Sleepycat3 said:

If the bang came from the power supply, then a component has failed, possibly a mosfet. So it failed from inside out and not from overcurrent. So the fuse in your plug will be fine, but inside, something has broken. Don't use the PSU, you need a new one. 

What PSU is it? Is it still under warranty? 

The psu is a Evga G2 650w power supply and I will need to check if I still have the receipt for warranty. 

11 hours ago, Zehaoi said:

I haven't tried powering a pc with it however i did the paperclip test which worked fine.

Oh... That doesn't mean anything.  Definitely don't use it.