DIY Rackmount Server Case for Tower NAS Transplant

KLEPTOROTH

Hey guys,

Long time Linus fan, first time posting.

So I was scouring the internet looking for a perfect fit, but only found things that seemed overly expensive or didn't fit my needs ($400+ for just a case), so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone knows of a good rackmount case for my use case.  

I am currently running a FreeNAS box with a SuperMicro SSI EEB form factor motherboard, with 8x 3.5" drives in a standard desktop chassis.  

I want to transplant that setup into a rackmount chassis for a new rack I'm procuring to clean up my setup.

My requirements are:

2U standard server chassis for 4 post rack (don't want the short guys)

8x or more 3.5" hot swap bays on the front

ATX Power supply support is optional, open to a case with dual redundant power supply options

Rack Rails 

Preferably full height GPU support, this is optional however.

Anyone know of a good option?  I'd be willing to buy an older HP or Dell server (or better yet, just the case) and rip the parts out of it, as long as it's cheap, but I'm not sure they would support a standardized layout like SSI EEB, and I don't want to do any modding.

In any event, thank you for your time, and thanks in advance for anything you can spot that fits!

you're asking for a difficult feature set.

An HP / Dell box is not likely to support ATX / SSIEEB out of the box, so that'd be a bad plan.

And your full height slot requirement is hella limiting.  (most use vertical low profile slots.)

https://www.newegg.com/silver-black-athena-power-rm-2u2123he12/p/N82E16811192417?Description=2u atx case&cm_re=2u_atx case-_-11-192-417-_-Product

This is the only one I saw that should work.  (Check board dimensions, etc etc.)

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

you're asking for a difficult feature set.

An HP / Dell box is not likely to support ATX / SSIEEB out of the box, so that'd be a bad plan.

And your full height slot requirement is hella limiting.  (most use vertical low profile slots.)

https://www.newegg.com/silver-black-athena-power-rm-2u2123he12/p/N82E16811192417?Description=2u atx case&cm_re=2u_atx case-_-11-192-417-_-Product

This is the only one I saw that should work.  (Check board dimensions, etc etc.)

Thanks!! Yeah I was hoping not to have to spend 400+ for a case.  full height GPU is optional, so I'm willing to kill that part if need be.

So, you can find cheaper options, but hot swap adds to the pricetag.

If you sac hot swap, and go low profile?  Newegg has 2U cases for sub 100$