First build in 15 years!

DarcF0x

Hey y’all! 

I wanted to get some feedback on the build I just completed! 

It’s been about 15 years since I’ve built a PC. (Used to grab freebies and Frankenstein them together back when I was in high school) 

I really wanted to get back into PC gaming and also wanted to build something that would last a long time and have a good upgrade path in the coming years. 

Please take a look at my parts and let me know if y’all have any suggestions for what I may have missed, or could do to make the system better, faster, etc…

I taught myself how to build this from watching videos, and just googling a TON. I think I’ve covered all my bases but ya never know! 

Case: Titan X 1.2 (AMD) 

This was a barebones that came with:

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E

EVGA 80+ Gold 850W fully modular

EVGA 3080 FTW3 

The case itself has a full water cooling system for the CPU with the 360 radiator on TOP pulling hot air out of the case. I added in 3 Corsair RGB fans on the back right pulling fresh air IN from the right side of the case also. 

I added in

Ryzen 9 5900X

32g of Trident Neo 3600 CL16 Ram. **Made sure to actually set it to 3600 in Bios.** 2X 16g sticks.

1TB WD - Black M.2 Gen 4

Installed windows 10 via USB and made sure to download/install drivers for the motherboard, 3080, and I downloaded all the RGB stuff and got that all set as well. 

I’ve used Cinabench to test CPU temps and never went over 63. I also ran some blender benchmarks and the 3080 got up to around 77-78 before the fans kicked on, then it dropped a good bit. 

I’m hopeful all this sounds good, and would love to get feedback about any tips, tricks, anyone my have! 

It felt really good to build a new system after so many years! 

**I have the top rad fans with a flicker/rain effect. it’s not the RGB being off**

That motherboard is pretty much perfect aside from no dedicated CMOS button, and any FTW3 card is going to get you solid mileage. I'm impressed to see the 3600 CL16 RAM in dual channel, as that 5900X is not forgiving of much less; I should also point out that pairing a 3080 with makes for a fantastic combo, and bottlenecking will be relatively nonexistent. I'm assuming your drive is an SN850, which is rated right at the top on the local tier list, so that checks out too.

34 minutes ago, DarcF0x said:

Now you get to also feel good about it being one of the best quality/balanced builds I've seen in a while.

the pc guy

A solid build. Still waiting for some key components (namely GPU to be dispatched) for mine.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Very nice build in theory, but I don't see any pictures. Did you post this on pcpartpicker, under completed builds? Maybe you could link us to that, if you did?

I would also recommend waiting for the price to go back down on this SSD (usually goes down to about $169.99), and getting this for your game storage. It may require re-installing steam, or you can probably just create a steam folder in the drive, and move your games over there. I haven't personally done that, so idk how it exactly works.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

1 hour ago, DarcF0x said:

Hey y’all! 

I wanted to get some feedback on the build I just completed! 

It’s been about 15 years since I’ve built a PC. (Used to grab freebies and Frankenstein them together back when I was in high school) 

I really wanted to get back into PC gaming and also wanted to build something that would last a long time and have a good upgrade path in the coming years. 

Please take a look at my parts and let me know if y’all have any suggestions for what I may have missed, or could do to make the system better, faster, etc…

I taught myself how to build this from watching videos, and just googling a TON. I think I’ve covered all my bases but ya never know! 

Case: Titan X 1.2 (AMD) 

This was a barebones that came with:

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E

EVGA 80+ Gold 850W fully modular

EVGA 3080 FTW3 

The case itself has a full water cooling system for the CPU with the 360 radiator on TOP pulling hot air out of the case. I added in 3 Corsair RGB fans on the back right pulling fresh air IN from the right side of the case also. 

I added in

Ryzen 9 5900X

32g of Trident Neo 3600 CL16 Ram. **Made sure to actually set it to 3600 in Bios.** 2X 16g sticks.

1TB WD - Black M.2 Gen 4

Installed windows 10 via USB and made sure to download/install drivers for the motherboard, 3080, and I downloaded all the RGB stuff and got that all set as well. 

I’ve used Cinabench to test CPU temps and never went over 63. I also ran some blender benchmarks and the 3080 got up to around 77-78 before the fans kicked on, then it dropped a good bit. 

I’m hopeful all this sounds good, and would love to get feedback about any tips, tricks, anyone my have! 

**I have the top rad fans with a flicker/rain effect. it’s not the RGB being off**

IMG_0242.MOV 18.94 MB · 1 download

Lets say you have a good build to play every game of today and most of the past so that alone will last you a long time in games.

As a broader question, just what will be the next big game improvement? I can only think it will be even more realistic gfx, so games of the near future will require the GFX card muscle and chipsets

1 hour ago, Forleb said:

That motherboard is pretty much perfect aside from no dedicated CMOS button, and any FTW3 card is going to get you solid mileage. I'm impressed to see the 3600 CL16 RAM in dual channel, as that 5900X is not forgiving of much less; I should also point out that pairing a 3080 with makes for a fantastic combo, and bottlenecking will be relatively nonexistent. I'm assuming your drive is an SN850, which is rated right at the top on the local tier list, so that checks out too.

Now you get to also feel good about it being one of the best quality/balanced builds I've seen in a while.

Thanks for the feedback! And you are correct, I did go with the SN850 because I believe it just edges out the 980 Pro in terms of speed…

1 hour ago, krakek said:

A solid build. Still waiting for some key components (namely GPU to be dispatched) for mine.

I know that feeling! I’ve been trying to track down a 3060/3070 for ages now, but when I went to the store they had nothing in stock except this one last barebones with the 3080 so I jumped when I could. Hope you get your hands on that card soon! =] 

52 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

Lets say you have a good build to play every game of today and most of the past so that alone will last you a long time in games.

As a broader question, just what will be the next big game improvement? I can only think it will be even more realistic gfx, so games of the near future will require the GFX card muscle and chipsets

I kinda think that games could improve in terms of VR and specifically the quality of VR. I’m even more of a noob with VR but would love to start getting into it. =] 

1 hour ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Very nice build in theory, but I don't see any pictures. Did you post this on pcpartpicker, under completed builds? Maybe you could link us to that, if you did?

I would also recommend waiting for the price to go back down on this SSD (usually goes down to about $169.99), and getting this for your game storage. It may require re-installing steam, or you can probably just create a steam folder in the drive, and move your games over there. I haven't personally done that, so idk how it exactly works.

I’ve actually never used PC parts picker before lol But I’ll check it out when I get home later tonight and post a link if I can! 

Thanks for the recommendation on the SSD! I know I’m gonna eat through that 1TB super fast!

1 hour ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I posted a short vid on here but I’ll def post some more pics later also =] 

20 minutes ago, DarcF0x said:

I know that feeling! I’ve been trying to track down a 3060/3070 for ages now, but when I went to the store they had nothing in stock except this one last barebones with the 3080 so I jumped when I could. Hope you get your hands on that card soon! =] 

Amazon support claimed that they would ship within the next 48 hours or so my 3080ti Aorus Extreme. I am a bit salty at this point, though at less than 1600 EUR it is not the worst experience possible.

Going to complete my built minus the new GPU (using 980 as a stand in for now) and some RAM (I really want to populate all the slots just because).

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

5 hours ago, DarcF0x said:

I added in 3 Corsair RGB fans

5 hours ago, DarcF0x said:

32g of Trident Neo 3600 CL16 Ram. **Made sure to actually set it to 3600 in Bios.

Only issues i see are these parts, mostly due to price and for the neos the fact that you didnt even bother to overclock them since these are good overclocking rams

Corsair fans are just overpriced crap, any noctua or arctic fan will pretty much blow those corsair fans to smithereens, i hope you didnt get the ~30$ ll or ql fans (price of 1 fan) ;-;

Otherwise the build looks pretty good

46 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Only issues i see are these parts, mostly due to price and for the neos the fact that you didnt even bother to overclock them since these are good overclocking rams

Corsair fans are just overpriced crap, any noctua or arctic fan will pretty much blow those corsair fans to smithereens, i hope you didnt get the ~30$ ll or ql fans (price of 1 fan) ;-;

Otherwise the build looks pretty good

It's been a while since I have had a PC in general so I have not overclocked anything. But I do plan to play around with that as I learn more. =]

As for the fans, I did go with cheap fans for the moment, but I'm prolly gonna upgrade to better ones in the future if/when the need arises.

5 minutes ago, DarcF0x said:

It's been a while since I have had a PC in general so I have not overclocked anything. But I do plan to play around with that as I learn more. =]

As for the fans, I did go with cheap fans for the moment, but I'm prolly gonna upgrade to better ones in the future if/when the need arises.

You will want to overclock the ram since those are overclocking rams

Evem though corsair is overpriced dogwater their fans should be decent enough so you dont need to swap em unless they break, and fans usually last for a long time so i doubt that they would break

On 9/15/2021 at 11:11 PM, DarcF0x said:

I kinda think that games could improve in terms of VR and specifically the quality of VR. I’m even more of a noob with VR but would love to start getting into it. =] 

It's possible, but I suspect it will be a small amount of players who want to be physical in a game, unless they get it to virtual football or Battle Royale level?