New PC build, 2000€ budget

NaAb_AsD
Go to solution Solved by NaAb_AsD,

Ok, mb. I'll replace the HDD for a 2To SDD then.

Thanks to all of you guys!

Hello people of LTT forums!

I hope that you can guide me a bit on what I'm trying to build!

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Budget (including currency): 2000 € with GPU

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily gaming on max quality at 1080p (with plans to upgrade to 1440p later). Also software development and a bit of photo/video editing.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Config attempt link: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/8PLtMv

• I already have the RAM from an upgrade I made on my older computer (7 years old now) which is actually dying at the moment. That's the main reason I'm looking for plans to upgrade.
  • I don't need any peripherals. I already got that smooth mousepad from lttstore.com 👀.
  • The GPU I selected doesn't really matter to me, I actually do not plan to buy one now as the prices are too high. I'll only buy if I find something acceptable. But I do think a 3070 is enough for my needs.
  • I do have three 1080p screens. Two of them are 60Hz and the third one is 144Hz. When upgrading, I'll replace one of the 60Hz screens with a 1440p 144Hz screen. I don't know if that can noticeably hurt the overall performance or not?
  • I'd like to have some "performance margin" for the years to come with newer games.

I honestly have no clue if the config I have made makes any sense. Feel free to point everything you think feels wrong to you.

TLDR: I want to be able to play properly at 1440p with 144+ fps on less demanding titles (like CS:GO, League, Apex ...) and have a smooth solid 60+ fps (or better) on more demanding games. If possible, while preparing a bit of room for future games. Thanks!

You should probably change the HDD+SSD combo for just one 2TB SSD, and you picked a SFX power supply for an ATX case. With an adapter you can still use it (and it's an absolutely excellent PSU), but you should probably just get a normal ATX power supply

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Only thing I noticed is that you put an SFX power supply in your list. This is normally for ITX cases. You will need an adapter to fit it in most full ATX cases. You can also consider going to 850W for more upgrade options in the future.

Couple of PSU recommendations:

Enermax Revolution D.F.

MSI MPG A-GF

Corsair RM (2019)

Your build looks well balanced and will be excellent for 1440p!

Pick a bit better value parts and get a 5900X for same money. Youll need a gpu with non-G Ryzens.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€559.55 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€84.94 @ TopAchat)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€154.94 @ TopAchat)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (€82.99 @ Amazon France)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€234.64 @ Amazon France)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card  (€1000.00 @ Infomax Paris)
Case: Antec NX410 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€72.48 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€89.99 @ Cdiscount)
Total: €2279.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-15 21:51 CEST+0200

Actually didn't even notice the difference for the PSU, ty!

Isn't a SSD only storage a bad thing tho? I do recall that was bad some times ago... but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll look a bit closer at your proposition later Jeppes, but thanks already for that! I do know for the GPU, my old 1060 will do the trick while waiting I guess.

Edited by NaAb_AsD

4 minutes ago, NaAb_AsD said:

Isn't a SSD only storage a bad thing tho? I

Not sure where you heard that, but no. SSD's are very reliable today. Hard drives are good for general storage (pictures, videos, documents, etc.), while SSD's are used for programs. There are now high capacity SSD's so some people just skip out on hard drives now.