RTX 2080 overriding fan curve at 83°

aexel05
Go to solution Solved by SignatureSigner,

try cleaning your card? repaste?

Hello

Currently I'm running a GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC and as soon as the card reaches 83° it sets the fans to 100%, which is way too loud.

At the moment I lowered the power limit to 70% to cut temps by a few degrees.

Below there is a picture of my current Afterburner settings and the readings of  the OSD. Before I used the automatic fan controll. Right now for this screenshot I created a costume one with 80% at the current temperature. 

Although the card should be at 80% fans, it periodically is at 100.
How do I disable this override?

Cooling shouldn't be a problem, as I'm using a case with enough airflow (although it was quite cheap), a 5-pack of Arctic P12 PWM PST and an ARCTIC Freezer 34 for the CPU.

image.png.7c71037cc0a30c4c79a75f2552756fbb.png

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Go to settings in MSI afterburner and then to the fan profile option and you can make a custom fan curve. That should work 🙂

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

2 minutes ago, jonahadami said:

Hello

Currently I'm running a GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC and as soon as the card reaches 83° it sets the fans to 100%, which is way too loud.

At the moment I lowered the power limit to 70° to cut temps by a few degrees.

Below there is a picture of my current Afterburner settings and the readings of  the OSD. Before I used the automatic fan controll. Right now for this screenshot I created a costume one with 80% at the current temperature. 

Although the card should be at 80% fans, it periodically is at 100.
How do I disable this override?

Cooling shouldn't be a problem, as I'm using a case with enough airflow (although it was quite cheap), a 5-pack of Arctic P12 PWM PST and an ARCTIC Freezer 34 for the CPU.

These are probably safeguards in the vBIOS, 83 degrees is NVIDIA's limit for thermals, and so I guess it would be expected for the card to do everything in its power to protect itself once that temperature is hit. Whether you have enough airflow or not, the fact that it is fitting 83 degrees and the card wants to cool itself down is an indication that there is too much heat.

Just now, SignatureSigner said:

Go to settings in MSI afterburner and then to the fan profile option and you can make a custom fan curve. That should work 🙂

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, I already have got one and it doesn't work. As I said, its being overwritten at about 83°

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

7 minutes ago, For Science! said:

These are probably safeguards in the vBIOS, 83 degrees is NVIDIA's limit for thermals, and so I guess it would be expected for the card to do everything in its power to protect itself once that temperature is hit. Whether you have enough airflow or not, the fact that it is fitting 83 degrees and the card wants to cool itself down is an indication that there is too much heat.

Yeah thats what I'm thinking too.
That's why I asked for some way to somehow disable this.
But you are right, this would only cure the symptom, not the illness.
There must be a reason behind the card trying to protect itself and getting so hot, I will investigate.

6 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Cleaned the card about 2 months ago. Maybe I wasn't thorough enough. I will clean it again tomorrow and report about any changes.
Didn't think about repasting it yet but I guess its time as I never repasted this card.

Currently this is my fan setup that resulted from a previous blog post: 

Any complaints or suggestions?

image.png.ba68baeb462d2a7c203bbf81b3466a7e.png

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

3 minutes ago, jonahadami said:

Fliip the top 2 fans, your fighting natural convection.

flip the psu (if possible) to exhause out the bottom, lowers the namount of hot air getting into the case

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Fliip the top 2 fans, your fighting natural convection.

flip the psu (if possible) to exhause out the bottom, lowers the namount of hot air getting into the case

Both top fans exhausting is what I had, was told to flip them last time xD  

Convection was my counterargument, but I was told to try nonetheless.

PSU is non-modular, but I will try if my current cable-"management" allows flipping it

I will flip the top fans and then report back if not fighting against physics helps with temps. 

Thank you for you advice

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

11 minutes ago, jonahadami said:

There must be a reason behind the card trying to protect itself and getting so hot, I will investigate.

Not even curing the symptom, its like crossing a road with your eyes closed because you don't want to be stopped by a red light.

I would second a repaste. Otherwise the options are undervolting, and/or lowering the ambient temperature.

Convection is a non-factor in an active airflow setup.

ya Convection is only good for fanless builds posably really slow moving fans...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4 hours ago, jonahadami said:

Cleaned the card about 2 months ago. Maybe I wasn't thorough enough. I will clean it again tomorrow and report about any changes.
Didn't think about repasting it yet but I guess its time as I never repasted this card.

Any complaints or suggestions?

i would put 2 120mm fans on the shroud say you can do that. posably remove the pci slot covers.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

5 hours ago, jonahadami said:

The fans on the graphics card are intake so the arrows are facing the wrong direction.

Flip the top fans to exhaust for better cooling. 

Can you post a photo of your fan settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The fans on the graphics card are intake so the arrows are facing the wrong direction.

You seem to be right. I kinda got confused by this Gigabyte-"Alternate Spinning" 

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you post a photo of your fan settings?

If you mean Case,CPU-Fans then I guess its not relevant. I even tried running these at full speed and it changed nothing.

GPU fans are set to automatic, Creating an aggressive costume curve doesnt affect temps, as the automatic is quite aggressive too.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

I will repaste once the paste arrives tomorrow and change my fans according to your suggestions.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

9 hours ago, jonahadami said:

If you mean Case,CPU-Fans then I guess its not relevant. I even tried running these at full speed and it changed nothing.

What do you mean by 'changed nothing'? Did the rpm not change?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What do you mean by 'changed nothing'? Did the rpm not change?

No. Sorry for being unprecise, changing the fan-curve didn't affect the temperature a lot.

@SignatureSigner @HelpfulTechWizard@WoodenMarker
So by now I repasted the GPU, cleaned everything and flipped the top 2 fans:

Using Superposition 4k Optimized Benchmark

GPU-Fans at 100% (annoyingly loud, but just for comparison)

from 8289 points to 8970 (8,22% more) and from 82°C to 55,3°C (32,52% less)

GPU Fans at Auto (maxed out at a pleasant 50% fan speed)

from 8163 points to 8878 (8,77% more) and from 81,75°C to 66,7°C (18,45% less)  

I call that a successful investment of 4€ and about 2 hours.

Thank you all for your suggestions, as it seams the old thermalpaste was the problem

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

7 hours ago, jonahadami said:

So by now I repasted the GPU, cleaned everything and flipped the top 2 fans:
Thank you all for your suggestions, as it seams the old thermalpaste was the problem

The issue was most likely the top fans not being exhaust instead. The previous configuration relied on a single rear case fan for removing heat from the system. The top fans being intake probably weren't helping the rear exhaust heat either. 

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The issue was most likely the top fans not being exhaust instead. The previous configuration relied on a single rear case fan for removing heat from the system. The top fans being intake probably weren't helping the rear exhaust heat either. 

From a logical standpoint I would agree but I tested this theory:
I unplugged all case fans and the CPU fan and this was the result (I should mention, that one superposition run only takes a few minutes, but thats what I benchmarked before) 

Without case Fans, Auto GPU-Fan compared to GPU Fans at Auto:
Score: From 8879 to 8731; Temps: from 66,7° to 70° (before was 81,75)

I would conclude, that both changes did there part, but repasting makes more of a difference (at least in the short test setup)

Thank you for helping.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H