I have an iPhone 8, is it time to upgrade to the new iPhone 13?

MrMo888

Time to get a new phone?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. I have an iPhone 8, is it time to upgrade to the new iPhone 13?

• Yes
    • No

I've had my iPhone 8 for about 4 years now, the battery has degraded to around 83%. Is it finally time for me to get a new phone. Should I go for an iPhone 13, or is there other phones for cheaper that are better quality and or better value?

It does mostly. The only real issue with it is its poor battery life. I feel like I can't use my phone a lot when I'm out because I don't want it going flat. I also feel that I'm constantly micromanaging my screen brightness to help preserve the battery. is this normal?

7 hours ago, MrMo888 said:

I've had my iPhone 8 for about 4 years now, the battery has degraded to around 83%. Is it finally time for me to get a new phone. Should I go for an iPhone 13, or is there other phones for cheaper that are better quality and or better value?

Absolutely. If you enjoy the core iPhone experience but are just frustrated with the current battery life, the iPhone 13 will feel like a gigantic leap forward. Much larger screen (in a slightly larger overall size), much faster, much better cameras... you get the idea. Apple specifically singled out improved battery life as a selling point.

I'm actually in the same boat, i have an iPhone 7 which is also at 83% coincidentally, it works fine and lasts me a full day no worries because i'm a very light user.  The only thing that's making me think i should is that i like the look of the mini and people are saying that there won't be a 14 mini, makes me think i should grab one now if they're going to be the final one. 

15 hours ago, Totallycasual said:

I'm actually in the same boat, i have an iPhone 7 which is also at 83% coincidentally, it works fine and lasts me a full day no worries because i'm a very light user.  The only thing that's making me think i should is that i like the look of the mini and people are saying that there won't be a 14 mini, makes me think i should grab one now if they're going to be the final one. 

I would definitely make that move. You're a prime target for an upgrade like the iPhone 13 mini. Everything about it should be much better.

On 9/15/2021 at 11:12 AM, MrMo888 said:

Should I go for an iPhone 13, or is there other phones for cheaper that are better quality and or better value?

Very difficult phrasing there.

Let me be short and clear: No, there is not a single other phone that's cheaper and better quality and value. because there is no other company, that sells iPhones with iOS. The only alternative to the new iPhone 13 (pro) Lineup is the 12 Lineup, or 11 Lineup.. They are slightly cheaper, but also older and worse (less camera, less battery blabla).

It doesn't matter what Android has. They don't have iOS so they can't possibly be an Option.

That is, if having iOS is important for you (because you use apple ecosystem features with other devices).

If you're not bound to iOS, you should mention that 😉

There are good Android phoens from 200-300 bucks, up to 1000+ bucks, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, and better or worse value. Oneplus Phones are pretty good. The Nord 2 as a midrange device, or a bit more higher end, Oneplus 9 (pro). Maybe the upcoming Pixel 6 models? Or Xiaomi Mi 11T (pro).

It simply depends what you want. And if you care which OS you use.

If you want to stick to iOS, and you want to use it for at least 4+ years without any issues, no waiting for updates, or anything? Get the iPhone 13 Pro.

Don't get me wrong, the regular 13 or 13 Mini are HUGE updates from that old iPhone 8. But the 13 Pro is "only" 200 dollar more (200 dollar over 4 years...), but ProMotion 120 Hz Display could deliver you a nicer experience, that's worth for the next 4 years. Also, better and more versatile Cameras.

My iPhone 8 is about 3 years old now and battery is at 90% condition. 

Apple's local battery replacement price for iPhone 8 is 55€ (plus 12,40€ for shipping two ways).

Unofficial shops locally charge 69€ and 79€. They'll do it while I wait in their store, altough I'm pretty sure either of them will not use genuine batteries.

I think I'm going to squeeze few more years out of this phone. Unless I manage to bend the frame like the last one and display won't stay in anymore. 

On 9/15/2021 at 2:12 AM, MrMo888 said:

I'd say slap a new battery on it if it's still giving you the performance you want from a phone but not the battery life you want. In Canada the cost to have Apple replace it is $65 which if I'm honest, is not bad at all for a genuine replacement. And this is in Canadian rupees. 

That being said, even if a new battery, it's not going to last as long as a newer device with iOS 15 so still limit your expectations. If you really want a new device, maybe even look into getting an iPhone 12. It'll still be a pretty significant upgrade and you could find some pretty good discounts. I for example came from a 6S and got a 12 Mini for pretty much 300 bucks off. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580