Mac OS Display overclocking

DANK_AS_gay

My friend has a late 2019 or 2020 i3 MacBook air, and wants to oc an external display, or an internal one, whichever is easier. I am having trouble finding anything from before 2013. Can I get some help with this? His monitor is some 1080p 60hz piece of Amazon e-waste, and his internal mac display is... Well, the internal screen on a 2019 Macbook Air lol.

I case you find something on this as well, I have an 2020 M1 Mac Air, and while unlikely to be able to OC,  it would be cool if there is stuff on this as well!

48 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

My friend has a late 2019 or 2020 i3 MacBook air, and wants to oc an external display, or an internal one, whichever is easier. I am having trouble finding anything from before 2013. Can I get some help with this? His monitor is some 1080p 60hz piece of Amazon e-waste, and his internal mac display is... Well, the internal screen on a 2019 Macbook Air lol.

I case you find something on this as well, I have an 2020 M1 Mac Air, and while unlikely to be able to OC,  it would be cool if there is stuff on this as well!

I don’t remember Apple putting out anything for any kind of overclocking ever.  Might be something possible below OS level.  There might be some third party stuff.  This sounds like the perview of hackentoshers. ‘9 to 5 mac’ or some such.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think i'm comfortable saying that's not something that's going to be possible, especially with the hardware listed. You can't just OC any display you want unless the display, especially with LCD's, are designed for it.

14 hours ago, rickeo said:

I think i'm comfortable saying that's not something that's going to be possible, especially with the hardware listed. You can't just OC any display you want unless the display, especially with LCD's, are designed for it.

Remember the video titled "Don't Game on this Display"? In that video they said, "Yes we did try overclocking it, but the monitor wouldn't do anything more than 60hz, not even 61hz." It is possible to oc displays that aren't built for it, otherwise they wouldn't try in the first place. Plus, my monitor is capable of OC'ing, it is the HP x24ih.

Edit: What I am not sure of is the hardware limitations you spoke of earlier, I know that OC'ing displays not intended to is possible, but can an external display do so in mac OS? I know the internal display is unlikely if not impossible but what about externals ones?

13 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Remember the video titled "Don't Game on this Display"? In that video they said, "Yes we did try overclocking it, but the monitor wouldn't do anything more than 60hz, not even 61hz." It is possible to oc displays that aren't built for it, otherwise they wouldn't try in the first place. Plus, my monitor is capable of OC'ing, it is the HP x24ih.

Edit: What I am not sure of is the hardware limitations you spoke of earlier, I know that OC'ing displays not intended to is possible, but can an external display do so in mac OS? I know the internal display is unlikely if not impossible but what about externals ones?

Good luck then!

33 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I think the phrase “sometimes possible” is more accurate.  I smell the need for custom code too if you want to do it on a Mac.  So step one would be to find out if the monitor will overclock on something else, step2 would be to get it to do that on a BSD, and step3 would be to see if there was a way to incorporate that into a MacOS without a recompile, as that is not an allowed option with MacOS.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I think the phrase “sometimes possible” is more accurate.  I smell the need for custom code too if you want to do it on a Mac.  So step one would be to find out if the monitor will overclock on something else, step2 would be to get it to do that on a BSD, and step3 would be to see if there was a way to incorporate that into a MacOS without a recompile, as that is not an allowed option with MacOS.

I want to learn Assembly and C++/C, but I have a feeling this is like swimming in the deepest part of the Pacific without knowing how to swim. Guess I'll just leave it alone for now.

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I want to learn Assembly and C++/C, but I have a feeling this is like swimming in the deepest part of the Pacific without knowing how to swim. Guess I'll just leave it alone for now.

My understanding is C++ and C are totally different things.  C+ had some similarities to C, but C++ is even farther afield.  C++ has acres of special purpose commands that change things. C is an almost antique language that sort of spawned c+ and did spawn visual C, but they all traveled off in different directions. I get the impression that C is a bit like Latin.  Helps with other things but isn’t always very useful by itself.  Could be wrong about that.

Edited by Bombastinator