Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help with case fans

Hello good people. I have a zalman PC case and it has 3 fans that was preinstalled  when i bought it ( 2 front fans molex connector, 1 rear fan 3 pin ). I've read a little something online but the info is confusing and i did not find an exact answer to my question. I wanted to buy molex to 3 pin connector for those front fans but then i saw that i could buy a fan for a similar price with both molex and 3 pin connector on it. So the question is: 

Can i connect those two fans to my new fan via molex in a row and then connect 3 pin to my motherboard ? I need to control all my fans.

Here is the link to the cheap fan i am thinking of buying http://www.deepcool.com/product/CaseFans/2019-04/2420_10805.shtml

I see that my zalman fans are 0.16A max, and those deepcool fans are 0.24A. I believe that is not healthy if compatible at all. But in this case lets say i have both fans 0.16A.

photo_2021-09-14_11-00-55.jpg

You can't control fan speeds via Molex, since it's directly connected to the PSU. Either get a fan hub that can dynamicaly scale the power or just get PWM fans, which are so much better and so worth it if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, Zongohihello said:

You can't control fan speeds via Molex, since it's directly connected to the PSU. Either get a fan hub that can dynamicaly scale the power or just get PWM fans, which are so much better and so worth it if you ask me.

But the rear fan with 3pin connector i can control RPM. It is same fan as in front just different connector. So i was thinking if the new fan has molex and 3 pin, i could connect those two fans to my new fan via molex and then connect 3 pin from the new fan to motherboard and then maybe i could control all 3 of them? Or it doesn't work like that ? I don't want to invest in new fans because the cooling is enough as is, but i don't mind trying something that is a couple of euros 🙂

18 hours ago, iRmt said:

But the rear fan with 3pin connector i can control RPM. It is same fan as in front just different connector. So i was thinking if the new fan has molex and 3 pin, i could connect those two fans to my new fan via molex and then connect 3 pin from the new fan to motherboard and then maybe i could control all 3 of them? Or it doesn't work like that ? I don't want to invest in new fans because the cooling is enough as is, but i don't mind trying something that is a couple of euros 🙂

That should work, it doesn't say you can't daisy chain them. Also assuming you don't go over the amp limit of the header. Most are one amp, so you'd be really close if that is your limit. I would also assume the wiring allows that and there aren't diodes in place.

You can get a 5 pack of Arctic P12 fans for $30 US, but I'm not sure on pricing in your region. They are excellent fans for the price. You'd need a couple of splitters as well, so for me that would be about $40 US on Amazon. I'm not sure how set you are on those particular fans. But they are $20 each on Newegg for me.

4 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

That should work, it doesn't say you can't daisy chain them. Also assuming you don't go over the amp limit of the header. Most are one amp, so you'd be really close if that is your limit. I would also assume the wiring allows that and there aren't diodes in place.

You can get a 5 pack of Arctic P12 fans for $30 US, but I'm not sure on pricing in your region. They are excellent fans for the price. You'd need a couple of splitters as well, so for me that would be about $40 US on Amazon. I'm not sure how set you are on those particular fans. But they are $20 each on Newegg for me.

Thanks for the tip 🙂