Mozilla has defeated Microsoft’s default browser protections in Windows

Lightwreather

Summary

Mozilla has quietly made it easier to switch to Firefox on Windows recently. While Microsoft offers a method to switch default browsers on Windows 10, it’s more cumbersome than the simple one-click process to switch to Edge. This one-click process isn’t officially available for anyone other than Microsoft, and Mozilla appears to have grown tired of the situation.

acastro_200207_3900_firefox_0001.0.0.jpg

Illustration by Alex Castro / The Verge

Quotes

In version 91 of Firefox, released on August 10th, Mozilla has reverse engineered the way Microsoft sets Edge as default in Windows 10, and enabled Firefox to quickly make itself the default. Before this change, Firefox users would be sent to the Settings part of Windows 10 to then have to select Firefox as a default browser and ignore Microsoft’s plea to keep Edge.

Mozilla’s reverse engineering means you can now set Firefox as the default from within the browser, and it does all the work in the background with no additional prompts. This circumvents Microsoft’s anti-hijacking protections that the company built into Windows 10 to ensure malware couldn’t hijack default apps. Microsoft tells us this is not supported in Windows.

Mozilla has clearly grown tired of the more complicated way of setting up a default browser, a process that Microsoft is making even harder in Windows 11. “People should have the ability to simply and easily set defaults, but they don’t,” says a Mozilla spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “All operating systems should offer official developer support for default status so people can easily set their apps as default. Since that hasn’t happened on Windows 10 and 11, Firefox relies on other aspects of the Windows environment to give people an experience similar to what Windows provides to Edge when users choose Firefox to be their default browser.”

Mozilla has been trying to convince Microsoft to improve its default browser settings in Windows since its open letter to Microsoft in 2015. Nothing has changed, and Windows 11 is now making it even harder to switch default browsers. That appears to be the final straw, as Mozilla began implementing its changes in Firefox shortly after the Windows 11 unveiling in June.

So far, Google, Vivaldi, Opera, and other Chromium-based browsers haven’t followed Mozilla’s lead, and it’s not clear exactly how Microsoft will respond. Microsoft has some genuine security-related reasons to protect against malware with anti-hijacking, but by allowing Edge to easily switch defaults it undermines rival browser vendors that simply want a level playing field. Windows 11 makes that playing field even more complicated, and competitors aren’t happy.

My thoughts

First thought that came into my mind was, wasn't this already the case? Well, according to the article it wasn't. But well, now it is. For windows 10 eh, it was't much of a hurdle. What I'm more interested in is it happening in windows 11. Hiwever, this might also pose a security risk to microsoft's "Most secure windows ever" thingamabob. Well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens

Sources

The Verge

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Time for a second fine/lawsuit about browser promotion?

12 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

First thought that came into my mind was, wasn't this already the case?

Same here. I swear my default browser has been already set from within Firefox since the dawn of time when I started using it, so I wasn't even aware it couldn't do that on Win10 honestly. Good for Mozilla though.

Now if they can (allow the) revert (of) Proton UI that'd be great /s

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Let's be real here. It was never about preventing browser/default app hijacking, that's just a convenient excuse. It has always been about abusing their position as OS maker to make their apps easier to use than their competition. The changes to Windows 11 are happening because Microsoft found that there were still enough people that cared about not using their garbage browser that they would go through the annoyance of changing default apps in Windows 10, so they have to make the experience even worse so more people give up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

15 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Not like it's a pain to change defaults "normally". Good on Mozilla for sticking it to the man.

Windows 11 is going to be even more of a PITA than 10 but it's not even straight forward in Windows 10 if you don't set it as default the first time for opening stuff either and even then there is still stuff that opens in Edge regardless.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Windows 11 is going to be even more of a PITA than 10 but it's not even straight forward in Windows 10 if you don't set it as default the first time for opening stuff either and even then there is still stuff that opens in Edge regardless.

Looking at you, PDFs!

I'm not happy about how locked down windows 10 has treated "outside apps" but I've also grown complacent with it over the last 5 years. My pc doesn't support windows 11 as it's a 6700k processor but we'll see if pc components come down at all... I wouldn't mind an upgrade.

Just now, NinJake said:

Looking at you, PDFs!

I'm not happy about how locked down windows 10 has treated "outside apps" but I've also grown complacent with it over the last 5 years. My pc doesn't support windows 11 as it's a 6700k processor but we'll see if pc components come down at all... I wouldn't mind an upgrade.

Yah, Windows 11 is even more granular and you have to dig around for each app/file type iirc if you want to change it later. It's pretty stupid =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, Windows 11 is even more granular and you have to dig around for each app/file type iirc if you want to change it later. It's pretty stupid =/

I thought you already have to do that in Windows 10? I thought I remember having to find .pdf file type in settings to change what app opens PDF files, but maybe I’m thinking of a more specialized file type. 

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

I thought you already have to do that in Windows 10? I thought I remember having to find .pdf file type in settings to change what app opens PDF files, but maybe I’m thinking of a more specialized file type. 

I haven't dug too much into it myself but I remember seeing a lot of posts when the beta first came out that each and every file type will prompt you for a default program or something now. I might need to double check that though. It could also be just people complaining to complain about something not realizing it was already that way.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Good. I wonder if Chrome will follow.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'd expect for final release that there's simply 'check all' tick option as you'd expect in Windows options.

Really I find Edge great, it really flies.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Considering they collect absurd amounts of information on what programs people manually configured to open different file extensions/set as defaults and could automatically suggest options... Yeah, it's just them being annoying trying to get people to use their defaults.

I don't get what's all this frustration about. I've changed my default browser from Edge to Firefox and all it does is just a few clicks. After doing that, all links I click on, opens up in FireFox. Besides Edge is a Microsoft's own product, of course they're going to make it easier on their own products. This applies to every company out there for their own products, not just Microsoft.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I don't get what's all this frustration about...just a few clicks

it used to be only one click, now it's multiple clicks, how long before you can't change at all?

I agree with you in the sense that it isn't a hard thing to do, but it used to be even easier

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I don't get what's all this frustration about. I've changed my default browser from Edge to Firefox and all it does is just a few clicks. After doing that, all links I click on, opens up in FireFox. Besides Edge is a Microsoft's own product, of course they're going to make it easier on their own products. This applies to every company out there for their own products, not just Microsoft.

For many people that aren't well versed in computers, getting multiple warnings while trying to change the default browser can be enough to make them change their mind. Particularly when they keep adding more and more things saying that you should change to Edge or keep using it.

19 minutes ago, TheOnlyKirst said:

it used to be only one click, now it's multiple clicks, how long before you can't change at all?

I agree with you in the sense that it isn't a hard thing to do, but it used to be even easier

No it isn't even if it's more than 1 click. So I don't get what's with all this complaining or as if FireFox came to save the day from the evils of Microsoft and its Edge browser.

17 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

For many people that aren't well versed in computers, getting multiple warnings while trying to change the default browser can be enough to make them change their mind. Particularly when they keep adding more and more things saying that you should change to Edge or keep using it.

What is there to add, besides FireFox and Chrome, since that's what most people use. Do they also install Opera, Safari, and every browser out there?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

32 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So I don't get what's with all this complaining or as if FireFox came to save the day from the evils of Microsoft and its Edge browser.

Nobody is complaining. I think people are happy in fact.

This is regarding to now you can change the default directly through firefox instead of having it pop up the "default apps" section in the OS settings, and then asking you "are you sure you want to change?" Then having to click another obscure link to proceed.

56 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

No it isn't even if it's more than 1 click. So I don't get what's with all this complaining or as if FireFox came to save the day from the evils of Microsoft and its Edge browser.

What is there to add, besides FireFox and Chrome, since that's what most people use. Do they also install Opera, Safari, and every browser out there?

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the second part of the post I was referring to all warnings/ads Microsoft shows(or showed in the past) on Windows to try to make Edge the default browser, like fullscreen ads, permanent "recommendations", warnings before installing other browsers and others, making the use of other browsers less likely for people without much computer knowledge.

36 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Nobody is complaining. I think people are happy in fact.

This is regarding to now you can change the default directly through firefox instead of having it pop up the "default apps" section in the OS settings, and then asking you "are you sure you want to change?" Then having to click another obscure link to proceed.

What I meant was as if users are annoyed at Microsoft for making it so difficult to switch to the default browsers of their choice and that Mozilla has to come into save the day, when all users have to do is just make a few clicks. how is that difficult?

15 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the second part of the post I was referring to all warnings/ads Microsoft shows(or showed in the past) on Windows to try to make Edge the default browser, like fullscreen ads, permanent "recommendations", warnings before installing other browsers and others, making the use of other browsers less likely for people without much computer knowledge.

Those without that much computer knowledge would have just used whatever browser the OS comes with. Those who do install the browser of their choice would at least some some basic computer knowledge, and changing to a default browser won't be that much of a problem.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I can't help but think; it's 2021. It's not at all hard to install a new browser, and really, everyone knows how. I don't see why this is a big enough deal to be news worthy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

35 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What I meant was as if users are annoyed at Microsoft for making it so difficult to switch to the default browsers of their choice and that Mozilla has to come into save the day, when all users have to do is just make a few clicks. how is that difficult?

Those without that much computer knowledge would have just used whatever browser the OS comes with. Those who do install the browser of their choice would at least some some basic computer knowledge, and changing to a default browser won't be that much of a problem.

Stop excusing dark patterns and shitty behavior.

The users should be in control over their computers. An OS that is designed to make things difficult in order to trap users is bad.

I think the open letter Mozilla wrote in 2015 puts it pretty well.

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I can't help but think; it's 2021. It's not at all hard to install a new browser, and really, everyone knows how. I don't see why this is a big enough deal to be news worthy.

I think it's news worthy because Mozilla had to reverse engineer the special method Microsoft has created that sets Edge as the default browser.

Mozilla essentially bypasses something Microsoft classifies as a "security feature" (because apparently it is a security risk to change the default browser, unless it is being changed to Edge of course).

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Stop excusing dark patterns and shitty behavior.

The users should be in control over their computers. An OS that is designed to make things difficult in order to trap users is bad.

I think the open letter Mozilla wrote in 2015 puts it pretty well.

I think it's news worthy because Mozilla had to reverse engineer the special method Microsoft has created that sets Edge as the default browser.

Mozilla essentially bypasses something Microsoft classifies as a "security feature" (because apparently it is a security risk to change the default browser, unless it is being changed to Edge of course).

How is a few simple clicks shitty behavior?

Perhaps Mozilla should also do that with Apple and their default Safari browser

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

How is a few simple clicks shitty behavior?

Perhaps Mozilla should also do that with Apple and their default Safari browser

Because it makes it more difficult than it has to be in an attempt to discourage people from carrying out the actions they want.

If I intentionally punctured the tires on your car in an attempt to get you fired from your job (by making you late), wouldn't that be a shitty thing to do? By your logic, it's not a shitty thing to do because you could just take the bike to work. Sure I made it more difficult for you, but apparently that's OK to do as long as I don't make it impossible.