how can I improve my gpu cooling?

chemoshh

So I run a 5950x with a noctuah dh15 .and a 3080 ti in a be quiet purebase 500dx.

So for the most part my pc does ok. Haven't had issues yet. The one concern I've run into is when I run cyberpunk(and I imagine any other game with high graphical fidelity) hwinfo has my gpu Hotspot at 90 or 91(highest reading was 91.8), which is in spec... but closer to the max temp then I'd like (my reading says its somewhere 95-105). I've tried a slightly more aggressive fan curve and it took me down to high 80's low 90's. Is there much more I can do to help lower Temps with air cooling? The fans I use are artic p14's, 2 intake front 2 exhaust top 1 exhaust back. Would different fans... (say noctuas? as example )make much difference? What can I do to get better temps?(cpu has been fine tempwise sofar).spacer.png

Take that top exhaust fan you have closer to the front of the case out and set it up as an intake closer to the bottom of the front, for a triple intake and 2 fan exhaust.

That fan is currently doing a whole lot of nothing but taking airflow away from what your cpu cooler could be getting, and the gpus is barely getting any direct airflow at all from the intake fans 

6 minutes ago, chemoshh said:

So I run a 5950x with a noctuah dh15 .and a 3080 ti in a be quiet purebase 500dx.

So for the most part my pc does ok. Haven't had issues yet. The one concern I've run into is when I run cyberpunk(and I imagine any other game with high graphical fidelity) hwinfo has my gpu Hotspot at 90 or 91(highest reading was 91.8), which is in spec... but closer to the max temp then I'd like (my reading says its somewhere 95-105). I've tried a slightly more aggressive fan curve and it took me down to high 80's low 90's. Is there much more I can do to help lower Temps with air cooling? The fans I use are artic p14's, 2 intake front 2 exhaust top 1 exhaust back. Would different fans... (say noctuas? as example )make much difference? What can I do to get better temps?(cpu has been fine tempwise sofar).spacer.png

The hotspot temps are fine, you need to look at the normal gpu temp.

Ty I'll try that. The front only holds 2 140mm fans so I'll just disable the one up top since I don't think it's prob a good idea to have a fan shooting air straight into gpu fans?

You can 3 front fan, it's a bit over the top, but it makes sense to me too.

I'd try without the top fan, too. Maybe even give it a try without the rear fan.

I've done airflow bending in the past. With transparent plastic foils, easy to cut and bend. Between fan's and gpu to force their airflow.

7_Pure_Base_500_DX_Black_wht.jpg

I'm willing to swim against the current.

12 minutes ago, chemoshh said:

I don't think it's prob a good idea to have a fan shooting air straight into gpu fans?

It doesn't hurt anything. I cut a hole in the side panel of a Phanteks enthoo pro case to have a fan pumping air straight to the gpu, dropped gpu temps ~3C even though case airflow was already good, the worse the existing airflow is the more temps will decrease.
At the very least I'd recommend lowering your bottom front fan so the top of the fan shroud is level with the top of your gpu.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Ty for the help. I lowered the bottom fan and removed the 1 top. Just have no where to move it to in this case so just removed from system. I'm not confident enough to dismantle a gpu myself so deshrouding is a bit out of my wheelhouse. From what I understand replacing the thermal pads with better ones and putting a better thermal compound on the chip can also help.... just worried I'd destroy the card.

You can try placing the top front fan as intake instead of exhaust. It would help feed air to the CPU and could help direct more air to be pushed towards the GPU and out of the empty PCI slots due to the case being under positive pressure.

Side panel fans aren't done much anymore, but customizing your case to add one would help a lot.

2 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

You can try placing the top front fan as intake instead of exhaust. It would help feed air to the CPU and could help direct more air to be pushed towards the GPU and out of the empty PCI slots due to the case being under positive pressure.

Side panel fans aren't done much anymore, but customizing your case to add one would help a lot.

Everything I've read says putting a intake by a exhaust on top is counterproductive as the exhaust just pulls the air back out, not saying it's entirely accurate... just what I've read on the subject. Side is tempered glass so side fan is nogo... not mentioning wouldn't be clearance for it

35 minutes ago, chemoshh said:

Everything I've read says putting a intake by a exhaust on top is counterproductive as the exhaust just pulls the air back out, not saying it's entirely accurate... just what I've read on the subject. Side is tempered glass so side fan is nogo... not mentioning wouldn't be clearance for it

Flipping to top intake lowered my CPU temp under load by almost 5 degrees, YMMV.

What about modifying for a bottom intake? New cases have PSU shrouds that get in the way, not sure what it looks like under there.

It has a psu with triangle holes as a pattern but no screw holes. There's a chance a screw might be able to be forced through one so I could try that... but if it doesn't Line up with other holes in pattern it may not be able to have more then one screw down

Could zip tie it maybe? Worth trying?

spacer.png

You can mount the front intakes as low as possible to get air in front of the graphics card intake fans and remove the hdd cage. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 hours ago, chemoshh said:

The one concern I've run into is when I run cyberpunk(and I imagine any other game with high graphical fidelity) hwinfo has my gpu Hotspot at 90 or 91(highest reading was 91.8), which is in spec... but closer to the max temp then I'd like (my reading says its somewhere 95-105).

So the Hotspot temperature isn't the same as the GPU die temperature. When Nvidia says 95-105 is the maximum safe temperature, they are talking about the GPU die.

You have an FTW3 card, which means it has an array of thermal sensors. Hotspot in HWinfo is reporting the hottest recorded temp, which is probably the VRAM.

Cyberpunk and other high graphical fidelity games will use most, if not all of your VRAM. You are probably just getting some heat soak on your VRAM.

The VRAM runs a bit hot on 3000 series cards.

What are your actual GPU temps?

13 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

So the Hotspot temperature isn't the same as the GPU die temperature. When Nvidia says 95-105 is the maximum safe temperature, they are talking about the GPU die.

You have an FTW3 card, which means it has an array of thermal sensors. Hotspot in HWinfo is reporting the hottest recorded temp, which is probably the VRAM.

Cyberpunk and other high graphical fidelity games will use most, if not all of your VRAM. You are probably just getting some heat soaking on your VRAM.

The VRAM runs a bit hot on 3000 series cards.

What are your actual GPU temps?

The changes I made plus slightly upping fan curve has the Hotspot maxing at 88.7 on my most recent run. Gpu maxed at 78.2 which is fine. Gpu previously was in 80's.

The 95-105 range limit I could have misinterpreted for the gpu I guess, I was searching for Hotspot max range when I was looking into and got that range multiple times. Either way figured better safe then sorry so if it was approaching 95 I figured should try to get it lower if I can.

didn't think it would matter with newer cards. guess I'm wrong. I know it not a NV card but worth looking into.

An air cooled 3080 ti are a pain to keep cool.

For my EVGA XC3 Ultra in a CM H500P I added a 60mm exhaust fan below the GPU. It was good for about 10c.

The setup was fine without the extra fan with an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080 ti but not with the 3080 ti. 

My MSI Gaming X Trio was in a Corsair 5000D and the 60mm fan did not work so I replace it with a Lian li o11 dynamic and that dropper the temps by about almost 20c.

I thing this case design is the best for air cooled 3080 ti since it draws air from the bottom of the case.

I am not happy about the Corsair 5000D and I am still trying to get enough air to the GPU with it. I bought it because I was auto notify on all the EVGA hybrids 3080 and up and my Cooer Master cases were not designed for that. 

Here is an image of the 60mm fan. Ugly but is works.

20210708_112135.thumb.jpg.d8ec145c7a79703f133c4dd76230dd7b.jpg

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

That lian li looks like it could be great... put 3 intakes on the back 3 on bottom and put exhausts up top.... might just have to re case my pc ty for showing me that!

Did you move the intake fans to lower position? You want that fresh air coming in reach the gpu, not for it to go straight out of the case. Fan speeds also make a difference and you should have that lower intake fan on gpu level running at least 1000-1100rpm on full gpu load.

On 9/13/2021 at 3:39 PM, chemoshh said:

It has a psu with triangle holes as a pattern but no screw holes. There's a chance a screw might be able to be forced through one so I could try that... but if it doesn't Line up with other holes in pattern it may not be able to have more then one screw down

Could zip tie it maybe? Worth trying?

spacer.png

Zip ties are fine, but don't you have a PSU down there? Is it fully mesh on the bottom so it has a way for air to get in to the fan and into the GPU?

A cooling focused case would be a good option, just more expensive.

if you still have space in the front of the case add another fan.

this should give just that bit of extra cooling you need to cool the CPU.

otherwise playing with voltages might be a good option. {downclocking the GPU} so it uses less power, and produces less heat.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝