Are game emulators safe and legal?

Message added by SansVarnic,

Please note, any advice given towards legality is opinion based only and cannot be taken at face value to how it applies to you locally in a legal issue IF you so find yourself in one.

i think you need the ps2 to emelate it on pc legally. im not sure tho.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

It's like using a pirated software, they aint gonna do anything to you. Unless you make a business out of it. 

Btw, been using PS1 & PS2 emulators since 2015 or something. I remember there's this one thing you needed (bios or something) to extract from your ps2 but if you don't have one you could just download one from the internet (which is what i did). Not sure if you can play online tho, i only played offline games.

I've been watching PS3 emulator (RPCS3) several years ago but haven't tried it since. Iirc, its becoming more and more stable like the ps1 & ps2 emulators so there's that.

This is in a legal grey area. For the most part, it's not considered piracy if you rip the game ROMs yourself and the emulator you use is opensource. If you have to download anything that isn't opensourced on the internet, like a PS2 BIOS or a game ROM, then it's technically considered piracy. Sony won't go after you for downloading it though, they'll go after the people hosting the files. 

The question then becomes whether it's morally right to download the software. The general consensus is that if you are able to play the games without emulation, with a PS2 and a game disk, then it's morally right to download the ROMs and the BIOS to be able to play. If you don't have those things, then it's a bit more frowned upon. 

As long as you get the emulators from the proper websites and not some random one, yes. They are safe.

If you see some emulator on youtube for PS5 or Xbox one X and all that, saying it works click the link down below.... Yeah no, avoid those.

I suggest you check out the Emulation Wiki, where they have a repertory of actual emulators and not scams.
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

As for the legalities... Well, with the PS2, you need to own a PS2 to get your own firmware/BIOS off it. That's the only "legal" way to play a PS2 emulator. Same with the games. You need to own physical copies of the games, which you can then either rip or put in your dvd drive and play off those with the emulator. If you want to go a different route than this, then it would be 100% piracy.

Maybe consider PS Now? Which you can play on your PC without a console. Just need a PS4 controller.

While they don't have the PS2 titles, they have a few Ratchet and Clank games for PS3 on there. And need for speed rival.

https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/ps-now/ps-now-games/#all-ps-now-games

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

IBTC

No and no.

Yes, mainstream emulators like PCSX2 are perfectly safe. 

Running ROMs of commercial games on them, unless you actually own a copy of the same, is technically not legal. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

-= Topic moved to Programs, Apps and Websites =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Emulation itself is completely legal, where it gets into the gray-zone is how you load your games. 

-Ideally, you own each copy of the game and rip the .iso yourself

-Gray-zone you own/have owned the games and download the .iso files

-Illegal is not owning / ever having owned the game and downloading said .iso

For PS2 emulation you're supposed to own a PS2 Slim as the BIOS you're downloading from the web has the same legality issues, you need to own it to use it.

As far as actual legality issues, no government has ever gone after a single user for playing emulators, it's only the hosts that provide these semi-legal downloads that get pinged. If you want to be super-safe download them through a VPN. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

18 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

IBTC

No and no.

Sony v Bleem actually set a precedent otherwise. So long as you aren't using any copyrighted code for anything other than its intended purpose (to run the hardware) all is legal. Same if you're using clean room reverse engineered software to emulate, which is what Bleem was--a reverse engineered Playstation 1 emulator. With that, I see no reason why running the published game under an emulator from the original disk would be an issue, unless you had to install the ROM that was ripped from original hardware--unless you have said hardware in your possession.

From a safety aspect, downloading the tools needed for emulation, as well as the games, can be sketchy. Do your research on where to get your tools.

2 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

Sony v Bleem actually set a precedent otherwise. So long as you aren't using any copyrighted code for anything other than its intended purpose (to run the hardware) all is legal. Same if you're using clean room reverse engineered software to emulate, which is what Bleem was--a reverse engineered Playstation 1 emulator. With that, I see no reason why running the published game under an emulator from the original disk would be an issue, unless you had to install the ROM that was ripped from original hardware--unless you have said hardware in your possession.

From a safety aspect, downloading the tools needed for emulation, as well as the games, can be sketchy. Do your research on where to get your tools.

This debate is against forum policy in the first place. So it's no and no. Technically.