SpaceX Inspration4 all-civilian flight set to launch 9/15, orbit the earth on a 3 day journey

Guest willies leg

The first all-civilian mission to orbit Earth on a SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft is scheduled to launch on Sept. 15.

The mission will send four crewmembers on a three-day orbital flight around the Earth. They will lift off from Launch Complex 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, riding atop a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, and splash down 3 days later.

The space program directly resulted in all kinds of technology advancements, from the transistor to the microchip. Pushing the limits of humanity and advancing exploration in this challenging environment, and now opening it up to civilians is quite an achievement!

Go SpaceX! Can't wait to see more, like trips to the moon and Mars!

https://www.spacex.com/human-spaceflight/earth/index.html

Also, there's a Netflix documentary on it:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81441273

This is exciting news - yes, the first civilians to orbit the planet will mostly be the Wealthy Elite, or prominent figures.

Over time that will change.

SpaceX is killing it with their Dragon Crew capsule, and we already know that the Falcon 9 has been one of the best rockets in modern history (perhaps in all of rocket history).

Say what you want about Musk personally, or his other companies, but SpaceX is knocking it out of the park repeatedly. Personally I'm most excited for the fully stacked Starship launch - whenever that ends up happening.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I just want earth-to-earth travel with rockets become a thing. Anything that gets rid of 2-3 day flights+waiting in airports. Still think we are 2 decades away from that though. 

47 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This is exciting news - yes, the first civilians to orbit the planet will mostly be the Wealthy Elite, or prominent figures.

Over time that will change.

SpaceX is killing it with their Dragon Crew capsule, and we already know that the Falcon 9 has been one of the best rockets in modern history (perhaps in all of rocket history).

Say what you want about Musk personally, or his other companies, but SpaceX is knocking it out of the park repeatedly. Personally I'm most excited for the fully stacked Starship launch - whenever that ends up happening.

Perhaps, but at what cost?

The Starship is ugly as sin. As are most of SpaceX's designs.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, FakeATF said:

Perhaps, but at what cost?

Elaborate this statement.

1 hour ago, FakeATF said:

The Starship is ugly as sin. As are most of SpaceX's designs.

Meh - it doesn't look nearly as bad as people suggest.

As for SpaceX's other designs... I don't know what you're looking at, but the Falcon 9 is one of the best looking rockets out there. Dragon looks cool as well. I'm not in love with their Spacesuit, but most other Spacesuits look worse, so that's a moot point anyway.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I live on the Space Coast in Florida. I'm about 9 miles from Kennedy Space Center, and a bit more or less from the launch pads. Also, the drive to Playalinda Beach gets you super close to Launch Pad 39A for prelaunch views/photos of the rocket on the pad. Love space stuff, and seeing launches from my front yard!

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

31 minutes ago, varrys said:

I live on the Space Coast in Florida. I'm about 9 miles from Kennedy Space Center, and a bit more or less from the launch pads. Also, the drive to Playalinda Beach gets you super close to Launch Pad 39A for prelaunch views/photos of the rocket on the pad. Love space stuff, and seeing launches from my front yard!

That's awesome man. I'm about 1800 km (like 1200 miles) from Kennedy. Would love to go there one day.

I would absolutely kill to see the fully stacked Starship launch in person - that will be insane compared to a Falcon 9.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's awesome man. I'm about 1800 km (like 1200 miles) from Kennedy. Would love to go there one day.

I would absolutely kill to see the fully stacked Starship launch in person - that will be insane compared to a Falcon 9.

Agreed, a Starship would be interesting! Also have heard a few Falcon Heavy launches, certainly more rumble with those guys!

I'm also awaiting the SLS launch date. A friend's husband works out at the complex, and he said one of the changes they've had to make is a better sound-dampening pool for SLS, because early tests indicated the rumble would likely blow out house windows in my area! Yeah, get those changes made, NASA, because I don't look forward to that bill!

5600x/RTX 4080

3 minutes ago, varrys said:

Yeah, get those changes made, NASA, because I don't look forward to that bill!

Don't they pay for damages? :0

13 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Don't they pay for damages? :0

Heh, I don't know, haven't experienced anything like that yet. I would hope so, but have no idea. It's best that they simply fix the problem and greatly reduce the likelihood that they would blow out a town's windows.  🤣

5600x/RTX 4080