why do you pirate games?

Dragonwinged
Message added by SansVarnic,

Please keep discussion on-topic.

If comments stray into an argument over the morality of pirating and derailing the topic OR comments include links to, how to, or distribution of any kind. The topic will be locked  and those involved will be handled appropriately. 

why do you pirate games? (select all that apply  

40 members have voted

1. 1. why do you pirate games? (select all that apply

• it is difficult/impossible to buy the game in my area
    • I can't afford to buy the game
    • I want to try the game before I buy it
    • I want to play the game on different hardware
    • pirating is easier than dumping my own games
    • I want to protest the company's bad policy
    • I want to get the game for free
    • I have never pirated a game before

Insert anti-piracy message here

So the practice of Digital Content Piracy is not nearly as taboo as companies would like. But It is also not as simple as " I just don't want to pay for it." So here I've listed a few reasons as to why someone might pirate games.  Naturally we are all expected to condemn illegal behavior, regardless of what that might be, but here, just for now, speak your mind.

1. it is difficult/impossible to buy the game in my area

Some places might refuse to sell a game for whatever reason, but It's not like people those areas just stop wanting to play games. Say, Wolfenstein in germany, or gambling games (or any reference to gambling) in china. Total loss of sales from piracy in these cases is $0.

2. I can't afford to buy the game

If it comes to the difference of feeding yourself or buying the latest new game, no one would blame you for piracy. Except the corporations. They hate piracy regardless of the reason. Total loss of sales from piracy is $0.

3. The game is no longer available in stores

Obviously if it is nowhere to be legitimately bought, then you have to pirate it if you want to play it. Lost revenue from piracy is $0

4. I want to try the game before I buy it

This includes both making sure the game runs on your system, and seeing if you like the game. This might actually effect sales. Yes, some people might not like the game and not buy it, but people who weren't planning on buying it might if they enjoy the game. So you might end up making more money due to piracy. If it weren't for piracy, people would've bought the game, didn't like it, and then couldn't afford to get a game that they would have enjoyed, thereby souring peoplecs opinion of the industry, in exchange for a few more sales.

5. the pirated version works better than the official release

Recently there was the release of a Resident Evil game that performed poorly on capable hardware. It was later determined that the cause of the poor performance was drm, coding that developers use to try and curb piracy. The cracked version of the game actually runs better, because the offending code has been stripped out. If it weren't for piracy, you might have sold more, but the poor performance would've soured the public image, and people would stop buying your games. Short-term gain, but long-term loss. Any sales you lose because you have crappy drm is solely on the heads of the people who forced it into the game.

6. pirating is easier than dumping my own games

No sales loss, they already own the game. It's just the hoops that people have to jump through to dump and archive the games.

7. I want to play the game on different hardware

Similar to no 5, sometimes if the game is locked to a certain console, it might have better performance on newer hardware with emulation. Nowadays, people can play old games at higher framerates and resolutions, and some games have had custom texture packs released to further improve on the game.

8. I want to protest the company's bad policy

In about every other news story that criticizes the games industry, you'll find people posting the lyrics to "A Pirate's Life for Me" in the comments section. Like any business, corporations screw something up once in a while. They always end up losing something because of it, and that tells them not to repeat their mistakes.

9. I want to get the game for free

Sometimes it is just as simple as greed. Here's one for you, corporations, some people are just selfish enough to want to have their cake and eat it too.

10. I have never pirated a game before

Well if that's the case then, conglaturations, you have one less reason to fear your government on the day it finally becomes the villain. Good thing for you too, companies, you didn't lose any sales, although villains tend to not want to pay either, so there is that.

I don't pirate simply because it's not worth my time. If there is some game that I can't get or am not willing to pay the price they're asking, it's probably not worth a crap anyways. There's enough good, quality, easily available and reasonably priced games out there to last you a lifetime. Why bother with something that intentionally puts roadblocks in front of you?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I just do it because I can. 

Just kidding. I don't want to buy the game if I'm only going to play it for 1 hour and never touch it again.

Download. Play. Delete. Repeat.

If I pirate game nowadays, it usually because I want to buy it on my preferred store front a.k.a Steam or no longer available to purchase (eg: Richard Burn Rally) 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I think it is way easier to just pay and get the game on steam or wherever. It's hassle free, you get support for it and can use everything it has to offer.

Since I only buy a few games a year I often look at gameplay or try to take part in betas (if I have the time and if I'm interested in the game) to see if I like it and if it's worth it imo. So depending on that I buy it right away or on sale or whenever I feel like it's a good deal for me. I basically treat a game purchase like every other purchase that is non essential.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

I was in an indie group that created content for games. 

I would say that about 30% of the content I created was pirated. 

For a while I went after people who tried to sell the content as their own.

In the end I gave up on the gaming industry and just did corporate stuff.

What I say to any pirate is.

Just try to create game content for a living and watch it being stolen from you. My skin is not thick enough to just let it go.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

If I want to try the game out before buying, ill 'acquire' a 'demo'.

If its a more reasonably priced Indie game, ill just buy it, though i may still 'acquire' it first to try it out.

If its a new installment of an old franchise I liked in the past, but its published by a scummy publisher like EA, or developed by a scummy developer, ill 'acquire' it without supporting them.

In some cases, ill buy the game, then find out there are issues with the live version, so ill 'acquire' an older version and play. E.G MechWarrior 5 with mod support.

There are legitimate moral reason to 'pirate', and then there are the selfish reason ("i could buy it, i can afford to buy it.. but im not going to, im just gunna pirate it")

The argument of lost sales is farcical, its a non argument. A person 'pirates' for a reason, if they cant 'pirate' the game they are likely not going to buy it anyway, so its not a lost sale.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

The demo excuse is no longer valid. You can get a refund now if you don't like a game.

The developer argument is stupid, as you are still playing their games. So your protests are simply stealing.

There are no really valid reasons to steal. However. There are instances where I will download a pirate game. The thing is? I usually own that game. Why do I run a pirate copy? because the security in the legit version makes it run like ass.

That is the only validity I can give to pirate games. There really are no others. If you don't like a specific dev? then stealing their games is no way to protest.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

51 minutes ago, AlienALX said:

The demo excuse is no longer valid. You can get a refund now if you don't like a game.

The developer argument is stupid, as you are still playing their games. So your protests are simply stealing.

There are no really valid reasons to steal. However. There are instances where I will download a pirate game. The thing is? I usually own that game. Why do I run a pirate copy? because the security in the legit version makes it run like ass.

That is the only validity I can give to pirate games. There really are no others. If you don't like a specific dev? then stealing their games is no way to protest.

Steam offers refunds, but it's time related. Bought the game, but didn't play it within the return window? Too bad.

Does GOG offer this? Does Epic Games Launcher? Origin? uPlay? 

I ran into this with Dark Souls on Steam. (The early port from ages ago). I bought it, didn't end up playing it for a while, and then regretted it. Yes, I failed to make an informed purchase. I didn't check any reviews or criticism, but it was still frustrating. I was left with a broken PC port. 

I can think of another reason that isn't in the poll. 

If I have the game on PlayStation (or any other system), I can justify to myself that I already purchased it and don't feel bad for finding a copy by other means.

I voted 'I've never pirated a game', but that's not strictly true - I have 'technically' pirated a couple of old games lately. The latest one was Star Trek: Bridge Commander, which I own on disc still but I no longer have a disc. Then a few days ago it was released on Gog, in a working state, so I ended up buying it anyway!

18 hours ago, Colty said:

Steam offers refunds, but it's time related. Bought the game, but didn't play it within the return window? Too bad.

Does GOG offer this? Does Epic Games Launcher? Origin? uPlay? 

I ran into this with Dark Souls on Steam. (The early port from ages ago). I bought it, didn't end up playing it for a while, and then regretted it. Yes, I failed to make an informed purchase. I didn't check any reviews or criticism, but it was still frustrating. I was left with a broken PC port. 

They all have to offer it by law. That is why it was done. Not because Gabe decided to play nice.

TBH? if you buy an expensive game and don't play it in the return window that's on you. Just like going to a clothes store, not trying something on to see if it fits right and then letting it slip. It doesn't fit, that's on you.

Like I said - technically it is stealing. There is no valid reason for stealing. The problem being that the "digital age" doesn't seem to understand the terminology "You can't afford you don't have".

As for a broken PC port? again, that is on you. Wait for reviews, after that the truth usually comes out. I'm not saying that any of these things (broken rubbish games etc) doesn't suck, but stealing your way out of it is not the option. Two wrongs. You can try and morally justify it in your mind but it's still stealing. Have I stolen things before? yes I have. However, I know exactly what it was and would not try and tell myself it was right (well, convince myself).

I recently bought Cyberpunk. Thing is? I knew it was terrible. I just wanted to see how terrible lol. Didn't get a refund. Didn't have that many issues and more than managed to get my £26 worth out of it.

Back in 1999, I pirated everything. Music, games, Windows. However, I can afford to buy everything now, and indeed, I do pay for all software I use that isn't free.

HOWEVER. There is ONE reason I would pirate games these days: DRM software is so terrible, it might be the only way to play games and have a good, reasonable experience. There are games I literally have not purchased because they have DRM that is so terrible, it's not worth it to me to spend the money. This goes for things other than just DRM, but whatever.

If I'm interested in a game, and I watch reviews of the game that mention DRM at all, then the game instantly goes on my no-buy list. I won't pirate it, just too much work.

Game launchers is another one. Red Dead 2 was really high up on my wish list, but the moment Rockstar made it mandatory to launch the game from the Rockstar launcher, I deleted it from my wish list, and I uninstalled GTA V as well. Due to Games for Windows Live, I can't play GTA IV, either. So, basically, any titles that Rockstar releases that would interest me, no longer are even valid, because I don't want to install their garbage launcher/tracker/monetizer software to play their games. If I could pirate GTA V, just to play it without the stupid launcher, or another game, to play it without DRM, I possibly would. However, I have so many paid for titles on my PC already, there's almost no reason for me to even think about it, honestly.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

The first game i bought with my own money was NFS High Stakes (NFS 4). That was however an exception. Before Steam, Kinguin and so on i pirated games, because i simply couldn't afford them. They were just incredibly overpriced in the local stores. Remember Half-Life 2 going for like 320+BGN (€160+) at launch at a time when most people here were paid about €300 a month. My rent back then was half the price of the game. The first F.E.A.R game was like €120. Not paying that sort of money for a game i don't even know if it's any good. Then i started pirating games cause i wanted to try it first and demos were already a thing of the past. Today i still might pirate some game, check it out and if it's good enough and i have not uninstalled it the same day, i go on steam/kinguin and buy it there. The exceptions were Cyberpunk 2077 and Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2... both of them i pre-order before launch cause i just couldn't wait longer. And yes, i'm one of the few people who were NOT disappointed by Cyberpunk.

edit:

Also forgot to add - and of course sometimes i pirate certain games, cause they are nothing more than a fast cash-grab attempt. Like any modern EA game. Never paying for an EA game anymore. I'll pirate that shit every possible way. When talking about EA, it's not about the money, it's about making a statement.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

21 hours ago, AlienALX said:

Like I said - technically it is stealing. There is no valid reason for stealing. The problem being that the "digital age" doesn't seem to understand the terminology "You can't afford you don't have".

technically it's copyright infringement.  Theft would imply something being stolen, but as the original is still there, there is no technical loss of product therefore no actual theft.

It's the companies themselves that like to bang around the term piracy and theft to make people scared, when it's technically not.

Not saying it's right, but the distinction needs to be made properly if you want to start talking about technicalities.

5 hours ago, evilcloud said:

technically it's copyright infringement.  Theft would imply something being stolen, but as the original is still there, there is no technical loss of product therefore no actual theft.

It's the companies themselves that like to bang around the term piracy and theft to make people scared, when it's technically not.

Not saying it's right, but the distinction needs to be made properly if you want to start talking about technicalities.

It's taking something you haven't paid for. You can dress it up however you like. It's up to people how they want to look at it. I really don't care if people do it, that's on them.

Look, I don't like the games industry either. Or the music industry really. They're both greedy bastards. However, I've just spent 30 years thinking about it and at the end of they day if you take something you didn't pay for then unless it was free you stole it.

And yeah, in the past I have done it. Plenty of times. Mostly when I was skint and could not afford to buy the games. I never dressed it up then either. I have just built philosophies on it. IE, if a game provides me what I paid for it then I am happy. IE - if let's say I worked for three hours to pay for a game and got more than that in enjoyment out of it? I am happy. If it goes beyond that? it's good. If it ends up like PUBG where I have over 1000 hours of laughing and etc? it's amazing.

IIRC the last thing I stole was Fallout 3. At the time I had no money. I didn't even have internet so I used to have to take my EEE book war walking to find a connection. I would then have to sit there until I got the game, bring it back and transfer it onto my PC. Since then? jesus. I have bought FO3 about 8 times. I bought the lunchbox edition, the BOS edition, the GOTY edition and so on. I've bought it for Xbox too (360 version I play on my 1X). I also bought the pip boy FO4, FONV box set and god knows how much other merch. Socks, guides, collectibles, the nuke edition and so on.

I suppose what I am getting at here is if a game is good? I will go all in. Since I paid £175? for FO76 though? haha yeah now I am back to being a lot more careful. However, I have amassed so many games through sales or Humble over the years (and free epic games) that I really have no reason to steal any more. I also feel a lot more relaxed about playing "just launched" titles having been burned in the past. 40 hours into FONV before I realised I would have to wipe my save and start all over again because ED broke.

So now I let them launch. Wait for them to get decent, then play. I have had my money's worth out of 76 now I just think it's not a great game and never will be.

BTW the best message to send a game dev? don't buy their game and don't steal it if it's crap. Why would you want it if it's crap any way? believe me they will learn. Look at the state EA is in. And Activision and others. The best message is just to abstain, and let their crappy game rot. That is how I shall go back to treating Bethesda now. They blew my mind with FO3, I put a lot of trust into them and I got screwed. Lesson learned. Don't buy their games hot off release.

I enjoy collecting old console games (think anything from the '90s to early 2000s), and sometimes I'll download a ROM of a game to try out in an emulator before I spend money on adding it to my collection. That, however, is only a last resort if reading reviews and watching gameplay videos isn't enough for me to tell if I'm going to like the game or not.

For console games I already own, I don't really have any qualms with downloading ROMs should I want to play them in an emulator. I'd rip the ROMs myself, but I don't have the hardware to do so.

Where I definitely draw the line is with new PC or console games. If I'm at all on the fence about whether I think I'll like a game, I just play demos should they be available and/or wait for the game to go on sale for what I see as a reasonable price.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I only pirate old games. Got a complete set of ROMs for the NES, SNES, N64, Master System and Mega Drive. My reasoning for it? The original devs got paid the first time when they released those games. The publishers had enough time to make money off of it. I'm not going to pay money to play Donkey Kong once in a blue moon. And I certainly won't pay for a game whose license has changed hands half a dozen times in the meantime so the original creators won't see any of that money anyway. Often they're not willing to sell it to me anyway and if they do, they tend to demand ludicrous prices for 30 year old games (Looking at you, Nintendo, who sells Virtual Console titles on one console but forces you to buy it again for the next one). And it's not like I play most of these games. I downloaded all those ROMs mostly because I could and it's more convenient to just have everything at my disposal immediately instead of having to go hunt down a specific game if I'm in the mood for it. It's not like they take up that much space anyway.

Similarly, I only pirate PC games if they're abanonware, no official license holder is willing to sell it to me and second hand copies are too expensive for my tastes. Years ago I downloaded System Shock and Grim Fandango because they simply weren't available for purchase. Once they were re-released, I bought them.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

No matter how you look at it, digital piracy isn't a true theft. Is it a theft if i go to see the Mona Lisa, take a picture of her, then get back home, print the photo and frame it on my wall? If i had the Harry Potter books and donated them to the library so more kids who can't afford to buy them can read them, do they commit theft? Anyone ever stopped to think for a second that libraries were world's first FTP servers where people shared their stuff so others can have access to it. And Internet should be looked as a library. Whatever comes online is for public use and everybody should be made aware of that. You don't like it, well don't use it then. 

Yes it's not cool to exploit someone else's work for free, but often i that transaction you are left w/o the whole product as well. Adding a DLC or a new critical patch/update is just one click away when you buy the game. When you pirate it, you could end up waiting for quite some time before you can get that patch and it's not sure if your save will stay. When you reinstall windows, your saves are safely sleeping in the cloud and before the install is even finished, you could already have them restored. Most pirated games are offline mode only and we know how important online interaction has become lately. I couldn't believe it myself when i saw yesterday that except for 1 practice session in Assetto Corsa Competizione all the rest of my gameplay there was online. Same for Project cars 2 where 95% of my playtime is online and the other 5% are practice session for new setups. I never even started the career mode. Yes there are still some single player only games where the story is main thing, but the last thing anyone who ever pirated a game knows is how difficult it is to get a version that works well w/o crashes. freezes and random fps drops or even system restarts. 

Again i'm not saying it's right to pirate a game, a movie or music, but it's certainly not right as well to make the people who can't afford to buy the games, feel bad for playing them.

It's really douchebagery move if you CAN afford it and still use it for free, cause you're tighter than Scrooge McDuck.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

When comes to Nintendo games and consoles, Malaysia has no luck. There are virtually no N64 and Game Cube consoles sold in here, and we have limited DSi and 3DS system as well. Nintendo OUTRIGHT refused to sell their official merchandise, and our only hope is to get it from Singapore, and that is only with 'limited' support (You can't buy Nintendo Switch Online. You have to set your region to US then only you can enjoy it).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Probably off-topic, so I'll spoiler it

Spoiler

4 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

No matter how you look at it, digital piracy isn't a true theft.

It's not "true theft" in the sense you aren't immediately stealing an item, but you are knowingly gathering illegally distributed material and hence you are in possession of illegal goods. It's not yours, you don't have the rights to distribute or obtain it through other means than the authorised channels.

If i had the Harry Potter books and donated them to the library so more kids who can't afford to buy them can read them, do they commit theft?

No, because by donating it to the library you relinguish ownership of your book to the library. You have no right to claim anything on it anymore.

For games and movies you don't own the game or movie that you bought. You bought a license to play the game on said device (PC, console) or a license to view the movie in your movie player. You are not granted the rights to reproduce said item and distribute willynilly. I believe ebooks are the same, physical books I don't know 100%.

Again i'm not saying it's right to pirate a game, a movie or music, but it's certainly not right as well to make the people who can't afford to buy the games, feel bad for playing them.

Not having the money to buy something, does not grant you the right to break the law to obtain it (basic life needs such as food or water aside, which are typically exempt (not from stealing) in my experience and have options for support). Especially not for non-essential goods like games, movies or music. If you cannot afford something one has to accept they cannot afford it.

On-topic:

Nowadays I don't pirate stuff anymore as buying it on e.g. Steam is honestly easier and less of a hassle most of the time. Therefore I selected the answers I would have done it for. I don't even remember the last game I pirated. When I did it was mostly to check if it would even run or to what settings I could run it or a game I didn't really know whether it would interest me. I don't have to worry about if it will run anymore and most of the doubt-games aren't expensive AAA titles, so I can take the hit, enjoy them for what they are and then shelve them.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 to see if a like it.

2 . if any wont work correctly on my set up.

if everything fine and game i like.

i will support dev.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

When I pirate a game I just want to test it before buying. Generally I buy the games I like. Although it's possible to get refund in "Steam failed games section" I'm not going to rely on that with non-indie games.

I edit my posts more often than not

45 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

When I pirate a game I just want to test it before buying. Generally I buy the games I like. Although it's possible to get refund in "Steam failed games section" I'm not going to rely on that with non-indie games.

Good point actually. So much stuff got (still gets?) stuck in some alpha form that never went anywhere. That made it really hard to buy smaller games to try them as there was such a high chance of them not going anywhere. A €5 game being lost doesn't bother me that much, but a €30 one that doesn't go anywhere... That's getting into territory where I would appreciate some form of non-alpha/beta product at some point.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB