PC shuts down with 3090 Rog Strix

Bman_7
Go to solution Solved by MadGoatHaz,
26 minutes ago, Bman_7 said:

But it doesn’t make sense. It works perfectly fine when I run Time Spy or other GPU stress tests?

Yeah, it sucks I know. I had to replace my own PSU for a 3080ti. (As well as a couple customers now). The 3xxx is very "spikey" with their power. Unless you're on a scope you can't get a very clear picture of it. 

Take a look at the PSU list here and pick one you like, you'll be good to go:

Hey guys,  

I have just gotten a 3090 a couple of days ago. Of course I ran through many GPU intensive tests and had no issues at all. I also played a couple of games and had no issues when playing. 

The next day I get on to game and my PC completely crashes and shutdowns. It is a very weird shutdown, it has a really loud click and it completely turns off. It sounds as if someone powered it off. I checked all the wires and connections and tried again and it still crashed. 

I proceeded by gathering temperature data and usage while playing and nothing was acting funny, temperatures were normal and usage was fine, but it still crashed. The PSU I got is a few months old and never gave me any issues, but that’s my most expected culprit. It might also be the RAM. 

I am all out of options and would really love some help. Please and thank you.

PC:

CPU: AMD 3900x

GPU: 3090 Rog Strix

MOBO: x570 Ultra

RAM: 32 GB 3200MHz G. skill Trident

PSU: 850W Gold 

I was also not getting expected frames with the 3090 but I’m pretty sure it’s due to the CPU and RAM bottleneck, hope to upgrade soon after I figure out this issue. 

thanks again.

15 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

What's your exact PSU model? "850W Gold" doesn't tell us a lot.

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular

16 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

What's your exact PSU model? "850W Gold" doesn't tell us a lot.

Sorry man I thought it didn’t matter. EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular.

When the PC shuts down, does it crash or just shut off?
Also, how do you have your 3090 hooked up? Are you using individual cables or daisy-chains?

elephants

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

When the PC shuts down, does it crash or just shut off?
Also, how do you have your 3090 hooked up? Are you using individual cables or daisy-chains?

So it literally shuts off. No blue screen, no desktop, just off. The only thing that stays on is the RGB on my RAM sticks. I have a daisy chain for two and then a single cable. I used GPU-Z to see the power on each cable. It was pretty evenly distributed, about 100-120W coming out of each. And prior to the shutdown those values aren’t being skewed or anything. 

Just now, Bman_7 said:

So it literally shuts off. No blue screen, no desktop, just off. The only thing that stays on is the RGB on my RAM sticks. I have a daisy chain for two and then a single cable. I used GPU-Z to see the power on each cable. It was pretty evenly distributed, about 100-120W coming out of each. And prior to the shutdown those values aren’t being skewed or anything. 

Use dedicated cables for all three.
Here's a quick diagram:

Spoiler

diagram.thumb.jpg.7196de856e9de06de829ef70da1f6bdc.jpg

Each 8-pin is rated for 150W of power. This goes for its cable as well, so 150W per cable.

If you use both 8-pin connectors on one 8-pin cable, you have up to 300W per 8-pin cable, and 300 > 150. This can cause the OPP (OverPower Protection) of a power supply to trip to avoid damaging something (typically where the power cables connect to the graphics card, as most plastic melts more easily than metal).

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Here's a quick diagram:

Hide contents

Each 8-pin is rated for 150W of power. This goes for its cable as well, so 150W per cable.

If you use both 8-pin connectors on one 8-pin cable, you have up to 300W per 8-pin cable, and 300 > 150. This can cause the OPP (OverPower Protection) of a power supply to trip to avoid damaging something (typically where the power cables connect to the graphics card, as most plastic melts more easily than metal).

Okay thank you so much. I will get that going and will get back to you with results. Hopefully this was the problem because that honestly makes sense. It sounds like something is forcing it to shut off. 

Unfortunately your psu is known to have tripping issues with high load GPUs. I'm afraid you'll probably continue to have this issue with that PSU powering that setup. 

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Here's a quick diagram:

Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately that did not work. Still same issue.

1 hour ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Unfortunately your psu is known to have tripping issues with high load GPUs. I'm afraid you'll probably continue to have this issue with that PSU powering that setup. 

But it doesn’t make sense. It works perfectly fine when I run Time Spy or other GPU stress tests?

18 minutes ago, Bman_7 said:

He's right. EVGA GA has issues with Nvidia Ampere. Even with a 3080 the 850w GA shut down. Replace it for a Corsair RMx or XPG Core Reactor for example.

31 minutes ago, Bman_7 said:

Download MSI afterburner and try turning your power usage down to 90%

Edit: you could also download HWinfo64 and pay attention to your GPU power usage as it crashes if you have a second screen.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

26 minutes ago, Bman_7 said:

Yeah, it sucks I know. I had to replace my own PSU for a 3080ti. (As well as a couple customers now). The 3xxx is very "spikey" with their power. Unless you're on a scope you can't get a very clear picture of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 1:34 AM, MadGoatHaz said:

On 9/9/2021 at 1:26 AM, --SID-- said:

He's right. EVGA GA has issues with Nvidia Ampere. Even with a 3080 the 850w GA shut down. Replace it for a Corsair RMx or XPG Core Reactor for example.

Hey just wanted to let you guys know you guys were right. Got a new PSU and this monstrosity is kicking ass. Thanks for the help everyone.