3080 Ti for PC Gaming and Work

cjg5365

I am new to PCs and gaming so this might be a basic question. I have an EVGA 3080 TI FTW3 Ultra with the OC Bios turned on. 

I use my PC for both work (MS office applications, nothing fancy) and gaming (warzone, destiny, etc.) and want to know if its ok to turn off the GPU fans while I am working and then ramp them up when I am gaming.

Since I am not using any GPU intensive applications while I am working, I feel like having the fans spins around 45% during the entire day is pointless. 

Is it advisable to set a fan curve in MSI Afterburner so that from 0-50 degrees GPU temperature my fans don't spin. But once the GPU goes above 50 they turn on?

image.png.ce89fd5c6ef99574c0199e7aa420baf4.pngHere is the current fan curve. What is the significance of the dotted line at 30?

Does your CPU have integrated graphics? If yes, then use Nvidia Control Panel to set which applications you want the GPU to run and turn off applications that don't need the GPU like Word, PowerPoint etc. These applications will then use the integrated graphics on your CPU but I think you need to do some configuration in your CPU Graphics Control center as well.

Edited by Lesgoooo

2 minutes ago, Lesgoooo said:

Does your CPU have integrated graphics? If yes, then use Nvidia Control Panel to set which applications you want the GPU to run and turn off applications that don't need the GPU like Word, PowerPoint etc. These applications will then use the integrated graphics on your CPU but I think you need to do some configuration in your CPU Graphics Control center as well.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Ryzen 7 5800X so that's a no unfortunately 

18 minutes ago, connorconnor12 said:

image.png.ce89fd5c6ef99574c0199e7aa420baf4.pngHere is the current fan curve. What is the significance of the dotted line at 30?

idk about you but that doesnt look like a curve...

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, connorconnor12 said:

Thanks for the reply. I have a Ryzen 7 5800X so that's a no unfortunately 

Yeah, I was stupid for even asking that considering you have a 3080TI, I sadly have no other fix for this 😞 I guess I'd also suggest a fan curve adjustment

Just now, adarw said:

idk about you but that doesnt look like a curve...

Thanks for the really helpful feedback!

You could set a fan curve, the card already should have a curve out of the box that does that. Are you positive it is your GPU fans that are running loudly when you are not doing graphically intensive work? If it is that means your card is either doing something like a background app or something or the inside of your case is very warm. I would double check and make sure it is the GPU fans and not the system or CPU fans.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Dotted Lines are usually MINRPM.

Setting below that can be locked out on some models.

Think of it as MINRPM. So you'd set your 0-50*c at 30%.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

51 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You could set a fan curve, the card already should have a curve out of the box that does that. Are you positive it is your GPU fans that are running loudly when you are not doing graphically intensive work? If it is that means your card is either doing something like a background app or something or the inside of your case is very warm. I would double check and make sure it is the GPU fans and not the system or CPU fans.

The GPU fans aren't running loudly. I was just wondering if it made sense to set the curve so that the fans go off while I am not gaming to preserve them for long term use. I am working 9-10 hours a day and then gaming all night so they are getting a lot of use as it is.

22 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Dotted Lines are usually MINRPM.

Setting below that can be locked out on some models.

Think of it as MINRPM. So you'd set your 0-50*c at 30%.

Thanks for the info. I was able to set the speed below that line so I guess that means I am not locked out. Here is my revised fan curve.

Fan Curve 2.0.PNG

1 minute ago, connorconnor12 said:

The GPU fans aren't running loudly and it doesn't bother me. I was just wondering if it made sense to set the curve so that the fans go off while I am not gaming to preserve them for long term use. I am working 9-10 hours a day and then gaming all night so they are getting a lot of use as it is.

This is the default behavior of the card. The BIOS switch on the card only changes the fan profile. I have the same card.

Default switch position means the fans stay off until the card hits about 60 C. This seems to be the behavior you are looking for.

OC switch position disables the zero RPM fan mode (they will always be spinning) and sets a slightly more aggressive fan curve.

You need to make sure any software like Afterburner or Precision X1 have the fan profiles set to auto for it to behave like above. For AB specifically you need to have it on Auto with the 'Enable User Defined Automatic Fan Control' disabled as well for it to truly use the zero RPM BIOS mode.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

8 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

This is the default behavior of the card. The BIOS switch on the card only changes the fan profile. I have the same card.

Default switch position means the fans stay off until the card hits about 60 C. This seems to be the behavior you are looking for.

OC switch position disables the zero RPM fan mode (they will always be spinning) and sets a slightly more aggressive fan curve.

You need to make sure any software like Afterburner or Precision X1 have the fan profiles set to auto for it to behave like above. For AB specifically you need to have it on Auto with the 'Enable User Defined Automatic Fan Control' disabled as well for it to truly use the zero RPM BIOS mode.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

With all that said, which method would you recommend for my situation where the PC is basically on all day? Default switch position vs. OC switch position? 

I am running a slight overlock on the card (+100 core clock)

Or does it not matter and I'm overthinking it.

3 minutes ago, connorconnor12 said:

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

With all that said, which method would you recommend for my situation where the PC is basically on all day? Default switch position vs. OC switch position? 

Or does it not matter and I'm overthinking it.

You are totally overthinking it 🙂

I would just leave it in the default position with all software control set to default/auto.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15