Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

if silicon is a circle and is cut to become a rectangle what happens to the outeredge that is circular?

title says it all.

so since silicon is made in a circular shape what do compaies do with the acsses parts?聽

Tough Times for Silicon Wafer Market Continue After Two Consecutive  Quarters of Revenue Decline | SEMI

馃憖馃憖馃憖馃憖

discarded or re-melted to make more silicon wafers

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney聽|聽Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products聽I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD,聽Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I聽hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past聽the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies聽I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built聽like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had聽good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's聽relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

ground up and reused most likely.

But the amount 'wasted' is generally pretty small, as they use computer algorythms to optimize the layout.

@Tan3l6聽Do I read it correctly that they just grind away the impurities/structured layers?

13 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@Tan3l6聽Do I read it correctly that they just grind away the impurities/structured layers?

I really am not an expert in this field, but after some processes it might be easier and cheaper to make wafers out of聽purified silicon sand, not excess wafers...

Perhaps someone knows better about the process.

... but I'm no expert.

The inner ones are bigger chips, outer ones where bigger ones cant fit.聽

So for nvidia gpus, you have ga102 on the inside, and the ga104 on the outside.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why the wafers are made circular....why not just make them rectangular to begin with?

馃枼锔 Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS聽 ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 馃枼锔
馃枼锔 Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400聽 ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 馃枼锔

馃崕 2012 iMac i7 27";聽 2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 馃崕

馃崕 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 馃崕

A lot of steps spinn the wafer so circular makes sense.

14 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I wonder why the wafers are made circular....why not just make them rectangular to begin with?

Because they are cut from crystals like this one:

Monokristalines_Silizium_f%C3%BCr_die_Wa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czochralski_method

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work?Asus PB287Q unboxing!Console alternatives :DWatch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Because they are cut from crystals like this one:

Wow! I literally had no idea that's how it was made. (I also didn't realize I necro-threaded in my insomina reading 馃檪 )

馃枼锔 Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS聽 ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 馃枼锔
馃枼锔 Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400聽 ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 馃枼锔

馃崕 2012 iMac i7 27";聽 2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 馃崕

馃崕 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 馃崕