Ideas for a Rackmounted Raid1, 2(3) Drives Server to deploy in a small Buissnes in Germany

GreenGER

Hey, im planing to build a small Raid1 Server to deploy in a verry small buissnes.

The points that the Hardware has to master:

• Mountable in a Rack
  • Inexpensive (maximum 1.8k€, if possible around 1k€)
  • Reliable, Processor with 6+ cores and baseclock above 3Ghz
  • The possibility to add redundant power supplys later on.
  • At least 4TB in Raid1 over 2 HDDS
  • Additional SSD as boot drive(doesent have to be large)
  • only 3.5" bays
  • At least 8GB RAM

I need a operating System like Truenas that i can use legaly for small Buissnesses. But that doesent cost Monthly(the price must also fit in "(maximum 1.8k€, if possible around 1k€)".

It has to support simple software RAIDs and must have the possibility to virtualize a tiny Windows and Linux system, these won't be used for graphic intensive tasks. And would run with the boot SSD if possible.

Dell r340? or simmilar from hpe or lenovo.

I wouldn't go diy for a business.

ALso I don't think your hitting that budget, I bought a system like this a few years ago for about 3k usd, but with smaller hdds and no ssd.

Id get more ram if your running vms, 8gb will go very fast.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Dell r340? or simmilar from hpe or lenovo.

I wouldn't go diy for a business.

ALso I don't think your hitting that budget, I bought a system like this a few years ago for about 3k usd, but with smaller hdds and no ssd.

Id get more ram if your running vms, 8gb will go very fast.

Firstly, thanks for your reply.

I actually did some research and landed on the r340 quite often.

I have to go DIY for that, for reasons i cannot fully disclose.

I really try not hitting that budged, i an confident that it can be done.

Yes, i am aware of that. I plan on putting more RAM into it in a few years if the system gets more tasks, but that wont happen in the near future. For the VMs, Windows(2GB) and Ubuntu-Server(2GB), 8GB should actually be enough cause these machines schould do really little (2 Windows programms that serve a few hundret megabytes of data over ethernet and take 400MB each and a Linux system that only really works on a temporary VPN-tunnel with OVPN)

Do you have any good idears for the base os?

42 minutes ago, GreenGER said:

Firstly, thanks for your reply.

I actually did some research and landed on the r340 quite often.

I have to go DIY for that, for reasons i cannot fully disclose.

I really try not hitting that budged, i an confident that it can be done.

Yes, i am aware of that. I plan on putting more RAM into it in a few years if the system gets more tasks, but that wont happen in the near future. For the VMs, Windows(2GB) and Ubuntu-Server(2GB), 8GB should actually be enough cause these machines schould do really little (2 Windows programms that serve a few hundret megabytes of data over ethernet and take 400MB each and a Linux system that only really works on a temporary VPN-tunnel with OVPN)

Do you have any good idears for the base os?

Proxmox is a good free hypervisor its what Id use.

Why can't you go diy. I woudln't diy a server for a buiiness. Just more hassle and not cheap.

Why so many cores for this light load? A dual core pentium seems to be enough here, since the vms aren't doing much.

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Proxmox is a good free hypervisor its what Id use.

Why can't you go diy. I woudln't diy a server for a buiiness. Just more hassle and not cheap.

Why so many cores for this light load? A dual core pentium seems to be enough here, since the vms aren't doing much.

Did you use anything comparable bevore?

As said there are reasons i cannot fully disclose, but lets say that there are no comapanies in close proximity do this commercially.

You are probably right, but i like giving everything own cores, just for a peace of mind.

2 hours ago, GreenGER said:

Did you use anything comparable bevore?

As said there are reasons i cannot fully disclose, but lets say that there are no comapanies in close proximity do this commercially.

You are probably right, but i like giving everything own cores, just for a peace of mind.

No reason to deticate cores. Basically everyone shares cores for vms, esp for server uses like this. Just get a dual core it will be plenty.

You sure there is no dealer in your area. Im pretty sure they have worldwide sales. A premade server would be a much better option here.

I have used more of the big hypervisor and used proxmox a lot.