Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forza NT-1011 ups battery not working as it should?

i just put my brand new UPS to test just to see that something didnt went as expected.

i unplugged the ups from the outlet, made a beep guessing it was using the battery, the thing is that while the monitor and the pc still had "power" it looked like it actually turned it off, monitor was on "no signal" mode and the desktop was with energy but i could tell it was just that.

plugged the cable back in the outlet, and the pc booted from Bios.

what went wrong?

btw this was under load (playing dead by daylight on lobby)

my system:

evga 500w white plus

ryzen 5600x with hyper 212 black edition cooler

2x8 3200 adata ram

1 hdd 1Tera

1 ssd 500gb

4 case  fans

gtx 980 reference edition gpu which is power limited (draws around 135w on load)

aoc 24g2  24 inch monitor

logitech z213 (which is plugged in the white outlet of the UPS meaning doesnt use battery just AVR / regulator)

only the desktop, monitor are plugged in the avr/regulator/battery outlet of the ups

Edit: tested it under idle or just windows with steam on the background and it didn't turn off when I unplugged the ups cord from the power outlet.

Also, must the ups be switched "on" all the time even if Im not gonna use my PC and I'm gonna turn it off ? 

11 hours ago, squallypo said:

Edit: tested it under idle or just windows with steam on the background and it didn't turn off when I unplugged the ups cord from the power outlet.

What were you doing when you unplugged it and it DID turn off?

11 hours ago, squallypo said:

Also, must the ups be switched "on" all the time even if Im not gonna use my PC and I'm gonna turn it off ? 

You mean "on" using the button on the front of the UPS?  No.  That doesn't have to remain on if you're not using it or anything plugged into it.  But keep in mind that will also turn your +5VSB off.

47 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What were you doing when you unplugged it and it DID turn off?

You mean "on" using the button on the front of the UPS?  No.  That doesn't have to remain on if you're not using it or anything plugged into it.  But keep in mind that will also turn your +5VSB off.

to your first question, i was playing a game so it was under load, im gonna assume that the system (desktop and monitor) exceeded the wattage that the ups can provide? even if i have the gpu power limited as i mentioned above to 135w max.

yeah thats what i meant the front button of the ups, because i keep getting told that should be on even if im not using my pc (being turned off)

if you go under and check products specs , click on runtime, it says how long it gives you when the battery is on use depending on the watttage. https://www.forzaups.com/products/internal/NT-1011-eng

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/1631122828870-png.216004/

17 minutes ago, squallypo said:

to your first question, i was playing a game so it was under load, im gonna assume that the system (desktop and monitor) exceeded the wattage that the ups can provide? even if i have the gpu power limited as i mentioned above to 135w max.

yeah thats what i meant the front button of the ups, because i keep getting told that should be on even if im not using my pc (being turned off)

if you go under and check products specs , click on runtime, it says how long it gives you when the battery is on use depending on the watttage. https://www.forzaups.com/products/internal/NT-1011-eng

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/1631122828870-png.216004/

That UPS is kind of scammy.  I mean.. 1000VA but only 500W?  That would imply a power factor of .50.  I've NEVER seen ANY non-PFC device with a PF of less than .60.

Another problem is probably your PSU.  It has a very limited hold up time.  So if you're under load and the switch over time for the UPS is longer than what the bulk cap can support, the PSU is going to shut off.

40 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That UPS is kind of scammy.  I mean.. 1000VA but only 500W?  That would imply a power factor of .50.  I've NEVER seen ANY non-PFC device with a PF of less than .60.

Another problem is probably your PSU.  It has a very limited hold up time.  So if you're under load and the switch over time for the UPS is longer than what the bulk cap can support, the PSU is going to shut off.

yes to both scenarios, since this is a .50 and not .60 which would be 600w right? thats why under heavyload the pc just "turn off" even if it has some energy still, and same goes for the monitor.

i just tested the psu  again with more gentle gaming like games that doesnt require much wattage from the gpu and the battery holds up fine.

but when gaming something that actually puts the gpu to work, then it happens what i described earlier.

i also just tested plugging the monitor in an outlet outside the PSU under heavy gaming load, and it the computer continued to be on just fine, so the monitor + desktop under heavy gaming = wont do.

idle and low gaming/watching movies etc, works fine.

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  It's just not a very powerful UPS.

yeah sadly thats what it is, because i tested scarlet nexus when the monitor was connected directly to the power outlet that is not on the ups and the pc continued on.

meaning the monitor adds too much wattage from what im already using on the ups.

well ill see if i return this one and get another with at elast 600W ups, that should be okay at least.

either way thanks for your time and helping me understand how this works because i literally had no idea.