are there any desktop os that isnt windows, linux, mac os?

adarw

Chrome os, Bliss os, and more i guess

also

DOS

Science, Technology, and People.
WonITKorea | WonPic
Since 2020

Google Camera Port Nerd

CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 Unported

Just now, WonITKorea said:

Chrome os, Bliss os, and more i guess

maybe linux based

WonITKorea | WonPic
Since 2020

Google Camera Port Nerd

CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 Unported

1 minute ago, WonITKorea said:

maybe linux based

yea their all linux based, it wont make sense to make something from scratch but i just wanted to know.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

TempleOS

More seriously, off the top of my head, ArcaOS, which is a continuation of OS/2 under license from IBM exists and is still being developed. 

MenuetOS and KolibriOS which are sort of focused on extremely small footprint and high speed/efficiency. 

I'm sure there are others. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, adarw said:

yea their all linux based, it wont make sense to make something from scratch but i just wanted to know.

1 minute ago, adarw said:

maybe old mac os, and FreeDos

oof duped quote

WonITKorea | WonPic
Since 2020

Google Camera Port Nerd

CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 Unported

11 minutes ago, adarw said:

title says it all...

Does ReactOS count? It's "technically" not Windows. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, WonITKorea said:

maybe old mac os, and FreeDos

oof duped quote

MacOS is Unix based, so same deal as the other Linux variations listed

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

46 minutes ago, Middcore said:

TempleOS

30 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

TempleOS

Did a madlad actually able to install it on a bare metal? I think being run in VM's kinda disqualifies it as an OS.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Haiku. It's basically an open source BeOS clone. The development has really been speeding up these past few years and I really want to see the project succeed in making a fully daily drivable desktop OS. It (BeOS) was designed from the ground up to be a desktop OS. Using it reminds me a lot of classic Mac OSes and that NeXT operating system, but it's totally different. It's gotta be my favorite OS in a vacuum.

Spoiler

spacer.pngspacer.png

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

10 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Did a madlad actually able to install it on a bare metal? I think being run in VM's kinda disqualifies it as an OS.

I have no idea, I just had to throw it out as a joke before someone else did.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

MacOS is Unix based, so same deal as the other Linux variations listed

OSX is Unix based but there was also the early 68k stuff which was actually written in pascal. Kind of horrifying really. I think OS7? Was still not Berkeley license based? Not sure.  That there’s a BeOS out there still really amuses me.  It was a good OS.  Lot of time has passed and a lot of advancements made though.  Gonna need a lot of code to make something out of BeOS.  Good bones though.  I kinda wonder whatever happened to plan9 from bell labs?  That was a wild one. Unix was “everything is a file”. Plan9 was “everything is a stream”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 8:07 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

FreeBSD and the other BSD-based operating systems exists, though they barely qualifies as a desktop OS. It's more just a server OS that you can install a desktop on top of. 

I challenge that. I really like FreeBSD as a workstation OS. It has a lot of benefits over Linux if you know how to use it. (ZFS, Jails, Ports and PF) I can show you some very slick setups you can do artistically and technically (such as putting your web bower in a jail or compiling software to suit your needs via ports)

Some other options people left out:

Solaris / Illumos

- Illumos distros: OpenIndiana and Tribblix (Tribblix is pretty cool.. a system that looks and works like a Unix system from the 80's but on a modern OS.)

OpenBSD (it's different enough from other BSD's to mention)

Android x86

All of these are up to date and modern and probably more functional than ReactOS or Haiku.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

There are lots and lots.  Many depend if you want to group all the Unix (based or like) ones together or not.  Okay, these aren't all specifically for desktop machines.

A few others are:

IRIX

NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP  

SunOS

AIX

CP/M

GEOS

GEM

Atari TOS

VMS

Z/OS

OS/360

Blackberry OS

There is AmigaOS v4.x.x for PowerPC Systems. This Hardware is more common in Europe then the US or Canada. You are better off with Linux if you ask me...

There is a Clone of AmigaOS, AROS that supports PC Hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! FreeBSD: Old school AF. If you haven't heard of it. Not surprised. TLDR: BSD  was a promissing OS from the 90s and 80s. A lot of computing history with it. you'll get pkg-get portage, and 'ports': source...oh like Arch has with the AUR.  

BeOS: have a ooooold computer: might work

Haiku: eeeeh almost DOA, almost, it picks up now and then.  It's a clone of BeOS because back in the day: palm was evil. they were just infamous for all the wrong reasons: grab a tech ip and...do jack fuck with it. 

FunFact: BeOS almost was the new OS for macs. Powercomputing at the time had a rough proof of: we aint derping around. for a hot minute. and frankly would have done a world of good for Apple. but steve apple's ego.

Darwin: MacOS thing it's what happens when you take the scrap from the copeland project, quitely port over bsd and then slapclassic and osX on top. 

On 10/19/2021 at 8:37 PM, whm1974 said:

There is AmigaOS v4.x.x for PowerPC Systems. This Hardware is more common in Europe then the US or Canada. You are better off with Linux if you ask me...

There is a Clone of AmigaOS, AROS that supports PC Hardware.

HOOOLY fuckballs! I haven't read that name in...ages. last I heard it bairly booted to RISC(powerPC etc) much less support x86.

DOS 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

21 minutes ago, Gork said:

HOOOLY fuckballs! I haven't read that name in...ages. last I heard it bairly booted to RISC(powerPC etc) much less support x86.

You can use it on older PowerPC Macs. Currently there is more Modern PPC Hardware, the X1000 and X5000 Systems, plus some embedded boards you can use. However that is still well Dated...