Would I be able to connect and USB C cable from the front panel of the PC case to this motherboard?

IcyWhite

Hello, I'm currently building a new PC and I wanted to buy this motherboard from Asus called ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II,

but there's one thing that's making me question whether I really should. I like how it looks and it has everything I need, except one thing.

From my observation it seems that I wouldn't be able to connect an USB C connector from the front panel of the PC case to this motherboard?

Is that right? And if so, how is that possible that it doesn't include such basic feature?

Here's the link to the motherboard:

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/

There are adapters you can get, for example usb-c to usb 3.0 connector. But then you would lose the ability to connect any usb 3.0 connectors from your front panel I.o. As to why the MB doesnt include the USB-C connector, i would guess cost saving measure. The b450 isn't the most "premium" chipset you can buy today so i wouldnt expect the manufacturer to include all the bells and whistles of a high-end motherboard. 😕

No it doesn't have front panel USB-C, and it doesn't have it because the board is a lower-mid-range motherboard with a last-gen chipset. Plenty of other B450 motherboards in that price bracket also didn't have USB-C, because adding it adds cost when they're trying to make a value product.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

And if so, how is that possible that it doesn't include such basic feature?

It's not really that basic a feature. Many people still have no USB-C devices, it's only within the last couple of years a USB-C port has started to become common on nicer cases, and the B450-F II is just a refresh of a decidedly mid-range motherboard design dating back to 2018. B450 boards that did have that header were few and far between.

If you desperately need the USB-C port on your case to function and don't want to mess around with adapters which will result in lower transfer speeds, then I suggest looking for a PCIe card with the appropriate header (technically USB Type-E). 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I'm not quite sure what the effects on performance are, but you can get an extension cable to run from the back, it won't be pretty, but I use it at work for a USB 3.0 port. If you really need it, just run a long cable. 

I understand that it isn't the highest tier motherboard, but I've seen motherboards by other brands like MSI or Gigabyte in this same price range include that connector. I'm not sure why Asus decided to exclude it (as you mentioned, probably because cost saving measures), but still it doesn't make much sense, especially since it's a "gaming" board, and those kind of boards usually do include the latest features.. This board goes for around 100€ and the next Asus board that has this connector goes for 250€. That's crazy to me.

1 minute ago, IcyWhite said:

and those kind of boards usually do include the latest features

B450 was released in early 2018. Yes, it could have USB-c, but they likely cut costs there where the other brands cut costs in other places. And that's why the boards with USB C don't "have everything you need"

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I understand that it isn't the highest tier motherboard, but I've seen motherboards by other brands like MSI or Gigabyte in this same price range include that connector.

Then buy one of them. 

especially since it's a "gaming" board, and those kind of boards usually do include the latest features.

"Gaming" is a meaningless label designed to fool people into thinking the product is higher performing and worth a higher price. Same as "Strix" in this case. There was nothing special about this board even by 2018 standards in its original form. I should know, I owned one. 

This board goes for around 100€ 

That's about the most I'd be willing to pay for it. There is no reason to consider B450 now in general unless you're on an extreme budget, and in such situations you have to do without the "nice to have" bells and whistles. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

That's about the most I'd be willing to pay for it. There is no reason to consider B450 now in general unless you're on an extreme budget, and in such situations you have to do without the "nice to have" bells and whistles.

Alright, I'm curious then, what motherboard (Asus or other brand) would you suggest to go with Ryzen 5 5600X and Asus Dual RX 6600 XT?

I'm not on a tight budget, so you can aim higher if you think it would be worth the money.

Alright, I'm curious then, what motherboard (Asus or other brand) would you suggest to go with Ryzen 5 5600X and Asus Dual RX 6600 XT?

I'm not on a tight budget, so you can aim higher if you think it would be worth the money.

Why not one of the B550 Aorus Pro boards? I believe the Aorus Pro V2 has a font io USB-C connector.

4 minutes ago, IcyWhite said:

MSI B550-A Pro that sells for $130 USD or ASRock B550 PG Riptide that sells for $150 USD have the USB-C header you crave. 

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

MSI B550-A Pro that sells for $130 USD or ASRock B550 PG Riptide that sells for $150 USD have the USB-C header you crave.

It's not that I "crave" it, but if the case I'm buying has the USB C port on the front panel, then it would make sense to get a board taht supports it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Will look them up.

3 minutes ago, IcyWhite said:

It's not that I "crave" it, but if the case I'm buying has the USB C port on the front panel, then it would make sense to get a board taht supports it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Will look them up.

"Crave" was just flippant language on my part.

I agree that if you're getting a case with it you'd want it supported in some way. Just think you were unrealistic in your expectations for an older mid-range board. 

Unfortunately it doesn't look like any Asus B550 boards under 200 USD have this header, which unfortunately is a bit typical of Asus, they make some good products but they use the "prestige" of their brand to get away with offering less than their competitors or demanding a higher price than rivals for a comparable part.

I see, thanks for enlightening me.

So I assume the B450 boards use quite older technology, even if the board was released only a year ago, so I should rather aim for the B550 boards, correct?