Apple September 2021 Event - iPad, iPhone 13, and Apple Watch Series 7

BondiBlue
Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Update: the show is over, and the post has been updated with the new devices announced. 

27 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

As if this as anything to do with the conversation.

It has to do with the conversation in the sense that to me the fact of going detachable (whether usb-A or usb-C) was a bigger upgrade than whatever holy grail of universal charging some people here think a usb-c_to_usb-c cable is. That’s me saying they’re focusing (just like Linus, and just like lawmakers proposing compulsory usb-c on the device end) on the wrong side of the equation.

About the usb-A being far more common out and about today, that was not the point, “hopefully” (as I wrote) they will be gradually replaced by usb-C ports, the point was that you don’t find dangling male cables around the world but you find female bring-your-own-cable usb sockets, making it just as convenient (better: even more versatile) to pick your own poison in terms of what’s on the other end of your personal cable. You won’t find (most of the times) an hardwired usb-c/a cable dangling loose from a wall or car armrest and think “oh crap, why does Apple insist on using lightning, now I’m screwed”. 

Not sure what companies are pushing 100W over usb-A, bidirectional PD on usb-A, etc. what’s the point of that comment, usb-c is clearly superior, not to mention the dumb meme-worthy what’s-the-correct-side non-keyed design of the usb-A socket. 

2 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

the point was that you don’t find dangling male cables around the world but you find female bring-your-own-cable usb sockets

Now you're just moving the goal post, the cry out for "usb-c all the things" has all to do with people wanting to carry one cable to charge anything, I.e. The device that needs charging should have a USB-c port, guess who's constantly placing itself out of that equation? The iPhone.

And again they moved the entire ipad line up to C, they moved the entire macbook line up to C, they clearly can do it on the iPhone, but they won't.

So in this hypothetical world of C everything, if you have an iPhone you'll still always carry at least two cables, one that has lightning on one end, the other that has C on one end.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Now you're just moving the goal post, the cry out for "usb-c all the things" has all to do with people wanting to carry one cable to charge anything, 

Nope personally it was never my cry out.

So I’m not moving the goalpost, I’m offering a different perspective (mine) on the problem.

My theory: people have been crying about the wrong thing.

That said I fully can see why someone could consider it “more efficient” to ALSO have a single do-it-all cable (beside a do-it-all socket). I’m not stupid. Also we could all use the metric system, overnight. That would be efficient. But..there are asterisks attached, as I wrote in previous posts.

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

My friends brand new golf got Usb-a, the sandero I bought will come with Usb-a.

Pretty sure that Golf is not actually new. All of the recent cars from the VWAG group (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda and a few others) ship with USB-C or a combination of USB-C and -A.

Ofc right now the standard is -A but that will change quickly. Places like Airports with mounted wall outlets naturally take a bit longer to adapt.

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

And apple by going c to lighting is contributing more to e waste than anyone else, cause iPhone users will have to go and buy a type a to lighting cable regardless.

This is by far the worst argument I have heard in this discussion and I heard it a billion times.

No, you do not need to buy anything FFS!

Simply continue to use one of the dozens of A-to-lightning cables you already have from your old phones. I can't comprehend how people over and over again come up with this nonsene argument to create ewaste where there simply is none. And no, the cables don't break easily unless you treat them like crap. That applies to the ones shipped by Apple and even more so to (proper) aftermarket ones like Belkin etc.

Also people forget that iPhone-only Apple users are like n-fold the number of iPad users, Mac users, Watch users, etc.

The “lightning nation” is huge. Can’t change it overnight. Can’t adopt usb-c temporarily just for 3-4 years if they have plans for something completely different (portless? flush magnetic connector?) for 2024 to 2035.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:38 PM, saltycaramel said:

Reading the latest twitter tirade by Linus against Apple PR, I’m left wondering (paraphrasing the instant-classic sentence by the judge in the Epic v. Apple trial “success is not illegal”): is it still legal not to be willing to do business with LMG? 

Also that stereotype about MKBHD being “athletic and cool” hence best fit to cover Apple or something..cringe. 

Linus’ opinions are irrelevant and entirely compromised now with him standing to make millions from his investment in a competitor.

I’d just ignore them. His thoughts already meant little with so much of his income coming from companies in the industry, now they mean nothing.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 9/19/2021 at 8:32 PM, saltycaramel said:

Well, for starters lightning is a billion+ users ecosystem. 

It’s proprietary but it’s positively huge. 

Not sure what that has to do with my point, but USB C is massive and will only get larger.

For second, what you will find going out and about will be usb-c sockets (hopefully) in cars, in-wall hotel sockets, trains planes and automobiles, coffee places, etc., not loose dangling usb-c cables. You’ll need to provide your cable anyway, the “universal” part is the socket. 

I mean, no? There's a world of difference between USB-C to USB-C and  Lightning to C. They need different cables. Two devices with the former need one.

1 hour ago, Roswell said:

Linus’ opinions are irrelevant and entirely compromised now with him standing to make millions from his investment in a competitor.

I’d just ignore them. His thoughts already meant little with so much of his income coming from companies in the industry, now they mean nothing.

It might shock you to find that most people here don't agree with this take.

Also, lol@standing to make millions.

1 hour ago, Jaesop said:

It might shock you to find that most people here don't agree with this take.

Also, lol@standing to make millions.

Doesn't really matter one way or another if people agree, I'm not an insecure individual that needs approval from a YouTuber's fanbase, lol.

He does stand to make millions, however. If the company goes public, his private shares will explode in value unless something goes terribly wrong between the announcement and the IPO. He even says this in his video disclosing it. Pretty basic concept when it comes to private investment.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

7 hours ago, Roswell said:

with so much of his income coming from companies in the industry,

This.

It’s all about business and partnerships with company A or company B or company C etc.

He shouldn’t make it about “human decency” (like he wrote) if Apple’s PR doesn’t get back to him or act like he’s on some highly journalistic endeavour like he’s covering the Uyghurs or something.

Nice guy, good ideas, successful entrepreneur, great youtube entertainer, etc. but it’s always important to understand and point out each other’s biases, prejudice/stereotypes, economic incentives and motives, etc. 

Now he also has stakes in a competing laptop product. Can’t act like Apple is under some obligation to send him review units, now more than ever.

That said, all of this doesn’t necessarily preclude the possibility of providing interesting and adequately objective coverage of this or that product and LTT’s credibility speaks for itself. I’m sure they’re the first that want to protect their credibility and editorial integrity as those are valuable company assets. 

13 hours ago, Roswell said:

Doesn't really matter one way or another if people agree, I'm not an insecure individual that needs approval from a YouTuber's fanbase, lol.

I mean... doesn't seem that way, but ok.

13 hours ago, Roswell said:

He does stand to make millions, however. If the company goes public

See, that's the part you left out before. Saying someone stands to make millions is a lot different than they stand to make millions if a certain metric is met. This company isn't even close to an IPO, so why are you presenting it like a sure thing?

Gee I wonder why Apple wouldn’t wanna be associated with Linus, one day serious big pants CEO with connections within the industry doing serious business, the next day whimsical nerd next door posting (or allowing) vial-of-cum jokes, it must be because Marques and Justine are physically fit and “cool”, not because Linus is an unreliable brand to be associated with, Apple PR is so mean!

B4C9C558-C359-497D-9B73-9EEC882052DA.jpeg

And yes relative size matters.

Yes most brands should line up (and do line up) to be associated with Linus. He’s a great influencer and force in the industry. Most brands should absolutely engage with LMG, they’d be crazy not to. 

But Apple isn’t “most brands”, it’s literally the most valuable brand in the world. Linus is “smol” compared to Apple’s brand. So him throwing a “you know who I am, right?” tantrum at Apple’s PR means jack ship. Apple is no stranger to “shadowing” the likes of Nvidia and freakin’ Fortnite, but hey I run a big tech-centric youtube channel. 

(the email below was posted by Linus himself on twitter, green arrow mine)

F755400F-4731-4D32-B8C8-F02969EE03C2.jpeg

Let’s not forget, now that I look at it in that email screenshot, the tasteful spoof on Steve Job’s “in memoriam” pic (the pic Apple used to commemorate him on their site when he passed away) that Linus used as his profile pic for years.

So tasteful.

Apple’s PR is so unfair!

Or maybe Linus can’t have it both ways (big pants CEO and whimsical nerd at heart). Or better, he actually can (ask Elon), more power to him, at the same time some brands are just as free to be unwilling to be associated with him. Everybody’s happy. No need to resort to stereotypes and conspiracy theories. 

On 9/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, saltycaramel said:

And yes relative size matters.

Yes most brands should line up (and do line up) to be associated with Linus. He’s a great influencer and force in the industry. Most brands should absolutely engage with LMG, they’d be crazy not to. 

But Apple isn’t “most brands”, it’s literally the most valuable brand in the world. Linus is “smol” compared to Apple’s brand. So him throwing a “you know who I am, right?” tantrum at Apple’s PR means jack ship. Apple is no stranger to “shadowing” the likes of Nvidia and freakin’ Fortnite, but hey I run a big tech-centric youtube channel. 

(the email below was posted by Linus himself on twitter, green arrow mine)

<email from Linus>

Lol, he sounds so full of himself in that email. Like a spoiled child that doesn't get what he wants on the school playground.

Order me an iPad Mini from Verizon, can't wait to get it!

It was really the only thing from that event that was good.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3