Apple September 2021 Event - iPad, iPhone 13, and Apple Watch Series 7

BondiBlue
Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Update: the show is over, and the post has been updated with the new devices announced. 

14 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Am i right in thinking there is no real tangible benefit going from a iPad mini 5 to 6? At least nothing close to the £350 i would need to upgrade.

For doing regular iPad stuff, not really. Apple's iPads have been so good for few years recently that nobody really needs their high end or new iPad devices. I'm still rocking my iPad Pro 9.7 (the first gen pro) and it's still quite good at what it needs to do

But is the new mini an amazing device for the price, like something great to gift to parents, grandparents, etc? Definitely. And it has features that matters like long support period, center stage and 5G support. 

45 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

For doing regular iPad stuff, not really. Apple's iPads have been so good for few years recently that nobody really needs their high end or new iPad devices. I'm still rocking my iPad Pro 9.7 (the first gen pro) and it's still quite good at what it needs to do

I second this. 

My current iPad is the standard one that I bought in march 2017 (don't remember what number it was) and it still works great for what I use it for (web browsing, general fixing with home network both trough WebGUI and SSH, using as a reader of e-books, light foto editing etc). The iPad it replaced was a 2012 iPad 3 that still "works" but it is really showing it's age and is mainly used by my kids for edutainment stuff.   

While I am contemplating of replacing the current iPad it is more from a "it's fun with new things" standpoint than actual need, in my opinion it is a great value since it still holds up after 5 years. The latest point at which I will replace it is when it stops getting iPadOS upgrades.  

Linus at around 17:00 in the latest WAN about lightning vs usb-c: “usb-c is consistent, I can carry just one charger for everything”

Apple just this week completed the transition of every product to usb-c. (even old stuff like the Watch Series 3)

Every iPhone, iPad, Watch, Airpods, mouse, trackpad, wireless keyboard, magsafe cradle, now comes bundled with a usb-c cable. 

Yes it’s not usb-c on both ends of the cable, sometimes it still has lightning on one end, sometimes a magnetic puck for the watch, but come on, that doesn’t kill the “one charger for every thing” dream scenario.

Moreover, Apple is (I believe) the only company where even the highest end mobile workstation (16” MBP) can work at full speed within the 100W limits of usb-PD. So you could literally use a 100W usb-c charger for everything, from a fully rigged 16” MBP down to the Apple watch.

Basically Apple banned usb-A and went full usb-c this week. Also they were super early in banning usb-A (except on the MacMini and MacPro) on the host side on Macs. 

Apple, champion of usb-c adoption. 

For those willing to fact check this, there are actually only 3 Apple products left that come with an usb-A cable: the old iPod Touch (on the lifeline), the Watch Series 6 (soon to disappear, superseded by Series 7) and the Airpods 2 (soon to disappear, superseded by Airpods 3).

16 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

Yes it’s not usb-c on both ends of the cable,

So it's not USB-c.

Stop applelogizing

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

So it's not USB-c.

Stop applelogizing

Still you can carry a single charger for everything. 

And 3 cables (usb-c to usb-c, usb-c to lightning, usb-c to magnetic watch puck).

Not a huge deal. 

4 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

And 3 cables (usb-c to usb-c, usb-c to lightning, usb-c to magnetic watch puck).

Not a huge deal. 

Still. Not. USB. C.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

Linus at around 17:00 in the latest WAN about lightning vs usb-c: “usb-c is consistent, I can carry just one charger for everything”

Apple just this week completed the transition of every product to usb-c. (even old stuff like the Watch Series 3)

Every iPhone, iPad, Watch, Airpods, mouse, trackpad, wireless keyboard, magsafe cradle, now comes bundled with a usb-c cable. 

Yes it’s not usb-c on both ends of the cable, sometimes it still has lightning on one end, sometimes a magnetic puck for the watch, but come on, that doesn’t kill the “one charger for every thing” dream scenario.

Moreover, Apple is (I believe) the only company where even the highest end mobile workstation (16” MBP) can work at full speed within the 100W limits of usb-PD. So you could literally use a 100W usb-c charger for everything, from a fully rigged 16” MBP down to the Apple watch.

Basically Apple banned usb-A and went full usb-c this week. Also they were super early in banning usb-A (except on the MacMini and MacPro) on the host side on Macs. 

Apple, champion of usb-c adoption. 

For those willing to fact check this, there are actually only 3 Apple products left that come with an usb-A cable: the old iPod Touch (on the lifeline), the Watch Series 6 (soon to disappear, superseded by Series 7) and the Airpods 2 (soon to disappear, superseded by Airpods 3).

Just to bad the USB-C port sucks.

I wish the standard had chosen just a male connector (like the lightning) instead of the male+female one that is currently used.

I’m not arguing it ahould have been the lightning connector but just one that was more like it.

As an example my 4,5 year old iPad is still rock solid in the lightning port (as long as you take out lint from the female part on the iPad now and then) while my 2 year old work issued laptop (of which 1,5 years has been WFH so I have used my own mac instead of the laptop) is allready becoming a bit loose in the USB-C ports from connecting and disconnecting from the dock at work. Also the male part in the connector in the device (in USB-C) itself both makes it really hard to clean lint build up and is really prone to break/become bent.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Still. Not. USB. C.

Like, if you’re on a new car with usb-c ports for the back seats, you’ll be able to charge any Apple device with the cable included in the box.

Sounds pretty usb-c to me.

2 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Like, if you’re on a new car with usb-c ports for the back seats, you’ll be able to charge any Apple device with the cable included in the box.

Sounds pretty usb-c to me.

The thing is that you are talking about the wall wart. That's not what people are talking about when talking about wanting "a single charger". When people say they want a single charger, they talk about the same wall wart AND the same cable. It's not really a single, convenient charger if you need to also carry like 3 different cables. 

If you only care about the wall wart and not the cables then you might as well say we already had a "universal" charging standard back with USB-A. You just need to carry like 10 cables and you'll be ready to charge whenever you are.

As much as I like Apple gear, I'll agree with those who say Apple isn't really embracing USB-C. The point is that you could ideally use the charger and cable from your old Samsung phone to top up your iPhone. If your Lightning-to-USB-C cable breaks, you can't just assume your friend's Android phone cable will work.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:24 AM, LAwLz said:

Regardless of how big or small the issue is, it is still a bad design because it's an issue that don't have to exist.

People really lose the forest for the trees. Yes,  it’s mildly annoying to charge it for a couple minutes every couple months when it runs out of power. However, the mouse itself is way better to use then the $2 included mouse that other brands throw in with their all in ones. 

47 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

People really lose the forest for the trees. Yes,  it’s mildly annoying to charge it for a couple minutes every couple months when it runs out of power. However, the mouse itself is way better to use then the $2 included mouse that other brands throw in with their all in ones. 

Yes, and the magic mouse would be even better if Apple hadn't put the charging port on the bottom. What is your point?

And of course the magic mouse will be better than a 2 dollar mouse that some other brand might include. You're comparing an 80 dollar mouse to a 2 dollar mouse. The 80 dollar mouse should be better. 

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes, and the magic mouse would be even better if Apple hadn't put the charging port on the bottom. What is your point?

And of course the magic mouse will be better than a 2 dollar mouse that some other brand might include. You're comparing an 80 dollar mouse to a 2 dollar mouse. The 80 dollar mouse should be better. 

It’s an $80 mouse that comes included with the desktop and it’s great to use. The battery needs to be charged maybe twice a year so I don’t understand why people get so upset over the location. It’s not that big of a deal IMO.

5 hours ago, Sorenson said:

it’s great to use

Eh

Mighty mouse: sure

Magic trackpaf: definately

Magic mouse: hell no!

If I wanted to hold a razor in my hand I'd just go out and buy a tactical knife, at least the knife can serve other purposes

6 hours ago, Sorenson said:

It’s an $80 mouse that comes included with the desktop and it’s great to use

and you're still paying $80 for it even if it is "included", its not "free". it's part of the price of the whole package.

it doesn't matter how great something is to use when a certain design decision is as blatantly stupid as having the charging port on the bottom of the mouse regardless of how often you need access to it.

no other company, and i mean NO OTHER, has EVER put the charging port on the bottom of a mouse or any other peripheral. why should you have to turn a peripheral upside down to charge it making it 100% unusable.

Apple did it because their put the design of their products first. It is literally Apple telling it's customers "fuck you, our design cannot be sullied, we would rather you be inconvenienced than to have our mouse actually be usable at all times". 

Apple treats their customers like children and have an air of "we know better than you". You're the exact type of person Apple wants because you fully believe this to be the case.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Apple did it because their put the design of their products first. It is literally Apple telling it's customers "fuck you, our design cannot be sullied, we would rather you be inconvenienced than to have our mouse actually be usable at all times". 

Apple treats their customers like children and have an air of "we know better than you". You're the exact type of person Apple wants because you fully believe this to be the case.

Yea they put the design first so they could have the entire top portion be glass and useable as a capacitive touch surface. It also makes the mouse look really sleek.

Those benefits to me make the charging a non issue. Especially since your computer warns you when it’s low so I just charge it over night and am literally never inconvenienced by it.

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

Yea they put the design first so they could have the entire top portion be glass and useable as a capacitive touch surface. It also makes the mouse look really sleek.

And this doesn't look sleek or somehow loses functionality?

Spoiler

Magic-Mouse-2-charging-port-render-1024x

Or maybe this:

Spoiler

image.png.60d3c56c03175a4189ee7192d7d1e468.png

As for special features of the "magic" (God I hate that marketing term) mouse, sure it is special, you can have gestures, swipe etc. Tried it for a week and didn't like, that is just my personal opinion and I'm sure there is plenty of people out there that do like it... That being said there is also plenty of people out there complaining about really poor ergonomics of the magic mouse.

11 hours ago, Sorenson said:

However, the mouse itself is way better to use then the $2 included mouse that other brands throw in with their all in ones. 

Which brands?

What are you talking about? Back in the day AIOs shipped with something like Logitech RX 300 or Microsoft IntelliMouse. Sure they are plain and boring, but they are fully functional, ergonomic and can tolerate a lot of abuse. As for nowadays, head on over to someone like Dell and check out what kind of peripherals you can (optimally) get with an AIO PC:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/sr/desktops/all-in-one?appliedRefinements=31469

Pick an AIO and scroll down to peripherals.

image.thumb.png.7aa1b7bda33be31d9666b5df84c93dc3.png

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-multi-device-wireless-keyboard-and-mouse-combo-km7120w/apd/580-aisy/pc-accessories

There are cheaper options also, but the one above costs the same as the magic mouse.

PS I don't even like Dell as a company hah.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

15 hours ago, Arika S said:

Apple's we-know-best attitude can be very irksome at times, but that also keeps the company from sinking into the bland sameness of the industry. There's a pervasive mediocrity in the Android and Windows worlds that seems born of an overeagerness to compromise. It's how you get ugly stickers on your PC, phones with carrier bloatware you can't remove, cheap-feeling plastic laptops and phones with useless 2MP macro cameras.

That's why I tend to stick with Apple, although it also means you're occasionally stuck with odd decisions that don't really help anyone... like a wireless mouse you can't use while it's charging. (I actually like my Magic Mouse quite a bit, but charging is definitely a hassle).

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

-snip-

Agreed. Apple does make some pretty looking products, I just think they go a bit too far into the "form over function" territory sometimes.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Reading the latest twitter tirade by Linus against Apple PR, I’m left wondering (paraphrasing the instant-classic sentence by the judge in the Epic v. Apple trial “success is not illegal”): is it still legal not to be willing to do business with LMG? 

Also that stereotype about MKBHD being “athletic and cool” hence best fit to cover Apple or something..cringe. 

On 9/18/2021 at 2:14 AM, saltycaramel said:

Not a huge deal. 

There is little practical difference in convenience when the iPhone still uses lightning.

39 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

There is little practical difference in convenience when the iPhone still uses lightning.

Well, for starters lightning is a billion+ users ecosystem. 

It’s proprietary but it’s positively huge. 

For second, what you will find going out and about will be usb-c sockets (hopefully) in cars, in-wall hotel sockets, trains planes and automobiles, coffee places, etc., not loose dangling usb-c cables. You’ll need to provide your cable anyway, the “universal” part is the socket. 

Third, there will always be portless gadgets with induction based charging, like smart watches, glasses, etc. (plus the inevitable port-less iPhone eventually), so usb-c-to-usb-c can’t be one cable to rule them all anyway, you will always also need one or more usb-c-to-induction cables.

Fourth, there will always be thinner and thicker usb-c cables with different rating (100W, thunderbolt, etc.) so the very notion of a universal usb-c cable comes with some asterisks anyway.

Fifth (answering to the other user who said “by your logic, usb-A was already a universal charging standard”), yes, detachable usb-A was already a great universal charger (I mean, it’s in the name), but if you were around back when we had “10 different standards”, you’ll also remember most companies (not Apple, who always shipped detachable firewire/usb chargers with iPods and then iPhones) would ship non-detachable chargers back in the early 2000s. So yes the first big step in the right direction against e-waste was going detachable, whether usb-A or usb-C. That said usb-A lacked the versatile range of voltages and wattages usb-C PD supports. 

To be clear, a non-detachable usb-c_to_usb-c charger should be (to me) frowned upon more than detachable usb-c_to_lighning, in terms of e-waste, practicality, usable life, universal support. Based on what some you seem to think, on the contrary the non-detachable usb-c_to_usb-c would be preferable between these two particular options.

36 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

For second, what you will find going out and about will be usb-c sockets (hopefully) in cars, in-wall hotel sockets, trains planes and automobiles, coffee places, etc.

No. You'll most definitely find usb-a.

My friends brand new golf got Usb-a, the sandero I bought will come with Usb-a.

The train I take for commute has usb-a

At the airport In milan: Usb-a in both the lounge and sit spots near the gates. Airport in dubai: Usb-a. Airport in bengalure: Usb-a, airport in ahmedabad: Usb-a.

Back in italy: at McDonald's, Usb-a, mall, usb-a.

Xiomi new super fast 120w charger: usb-a.

So on the socket side we have a defacto universal standard in USB-A.

And apple by going c to lighting is contributing more to e waste than anyone else, cause iPhone users will have to go and buy a type a to lighting cable regardless. Unless of course the do the same thing the decided to do with their ipads and move to c on the iPhone.

46 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

That said usb-A lacked the versatile range of voltages and wattages usb-C PD supports. 

Tell how every company pushing the boundaries of fast charging are doing it with A on the socket then?

47 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

To be clear, a non-detachable usb-c_to_usb-c charger should be (to me) frowned upon more than detachable usb-c_to_lighning, in terms of e-waste, practicality, usable life, universal support.

Both are bad actually since A is the predominant one.

49 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

but if you were around back when we had “10 different standards”, you’ll also remember most companies (not Apple, who always shipped detachable firewire/usb chargers with iPods and then iPhones) would ship non-detachable chargers back in the early 2000s

As if this as anything to do with the conversation.

Apple is the wrong here but you're just to blind to see past the logo at this point

2 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Reading the latest twitter tirade by Linus against Apple PR, I’m left wondering (paraphrasing the instant-classic sentence by the judge in the Epic v. Apple trial “success is not illegal”): is it still legal not to be willing to do business with LMG? 

Also that stereotype about MKBHD being “athletic and cool” hence best fit to cover Apple or something..cringe. 

Did Linus really publicly call Woz fat? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580