Apple September 2021 Event - iPad, iPhone 13, and Apple Watch Series 7

BondiBlue
Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Update: the show is over, and the post has been updated with the new devices announced. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Seems pretty boring.  Not much reason for me to upgrade my iPhone 12 Pro Max to a 13 if it's just a smaller notch.  Battery life...meh....I already get beyond a full day on one charge.  

No new materials with the Watch; didn't bring back ceramic.  Battery life forever a turnoff.  

I don't know why you'd want to upgrade a 12 Pro Max after one year even if Apple had a more substantial redesign. That's a lot of money to spend (even after trade-ins) for what's unlikely to be a major improvement. We're a long way off from the days when yearly updates would represent dramatic steps forward, unless the previous design was flawed (the Galaxy S21 Ultra was really Samsung 'fixing' the S20 Ultra, for example).

So, the Apple Watch 7 with flat sides leak was a big fat lie. I kinda knew it wasn't true because flat sides would be digging into wrist way too much when even Apple Watch 5 that I have can dig into wrist in some positions and it has soft rounded edges.

It's also funny how people call ProMotion "whatever" and say everyone has whatever high refresh rate for years and on all models. But do they? Almost all Android phones had rather pathetic adaptive refresh rate, mostly because their integration with OS was garbage. We have to yet see how it is in person, but 10-120Hz adaptive will be for sure far better implemented than on any Android phone.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:38 AM, BondiBlue said:

iPhone 13 mini

Ooh the mini line want cancled.

(I remember seing soemthing about a chance of the mini no apearing due to poorer than expected sales)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So, the Apple Watch 7 with flat sides leak was a big fat lie. I kinda knew it wasn't true because flat sides would be digging into wrist way too much when even Apple Watch 5 that I have can dig into wrist in some positions and it has soft rounded edges.

It's also funny how people call ProMotion "whatever" and say everyone has whatever high refresh rate for years and on all models. But do they? Almost all Android phones had rather pathetic adaptive refresh rate, mostly because their integration with OS was garbage. We have to yet see how it is in person, but 10-120Hz adaptive will be for sure far better implemented than on any Android phone.

It's not so much a "lie" as that some outlets misinterpreted it. Prosser mentioned that he didn't know if this was destined for Series 7 or 8; others assumed the big redesign was coming with Series 7.

Also... please don't presume Apple's implementation will be better. It might, but it doesn't sound that much different than what vendors like Samsung are doing.

35 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I doubt Apple's implementation will be "far better" than what for example Samsung are doing on their premium devices. 

If it is like on the iPad, it will switch between a couple of pre-set refresh rates (24, 48, 60 and 120Hz), which is the most likely implementation.

Samsung on the other hand, do have true seamless VRR in some phones (the highest end ones). Those devices do not just switch between different modes but actually has seamless granular control of the panel refresh rate.

My expectation is that Apple at best will match what Samsung has, but will likely go for a rather simple solution like most Android OEMs have done, like they did on the iPad.

I mean...it's a nice upgrade with the higher refresh rate and macro shots. No one expected apple to implement faster quick charging or further optical zoom like other androids or fingerprint sensor any time soon. Didn't check if they made the notch smaller, but props to them if they did.

9 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Didn't check if they made the notch smaller, but props to them if they did.

They did, but not by much. I think they said it was 20% smaller.

Buy an older series Apple Watch 4 or 5 add your card for payments to that. Double click with a mask on and pay. During the pandemic it’s the most hassle free way to pay.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Just want to point out, when you go to Apple's site for their iPhone 13 Pro.

It show 2 phones, which I assume it's the 13 and 13 Pro Max, where the Pro Max is taller. But when you scroll down the page abit, you'll see that the phones are not at the same level. :old-laugh:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-13-pro/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Just want to point out, when you go to Apple's site for their iPhone 13 Pro.

It show 2 phones, which I assume it's the 13 and 13 Pro Max, where the Pro Max is taller. But when you scroll down the page abit, you'll see that the phones are not at the same level. :old-laugh:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-13-pro/

They're doing some dynamic of having the phones slide past each other as you scroll.  Hard to say they're being sus with it when they have this picture on the next page (also it's not like this is a new size...the phone has been the same dimensions since the 6 Plus):

image.png.47f32d15ab9a3bd0c64f43af84d4a9ea.png

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

They're doing some dynamic of having the phones slide past each other as you scroll.  Hard to say they're being sus with it when they have this picture on the next page (also it's not like this is a new size...the phone has been the same dimensions since the 6 Plus):

image.png.47f32d15ab9a3bd0c64f43af84d4a9ea.png

Most won't remember the size of old iPhones, not until they take out their old ones and compare it with the new.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Almost all Android phones had rather pathetic adaptive refresh rate, mostly because their integration with OS was garbage.

As someone with a self proclaimed and VERY apparent/public aversion to literally everything Google, i'm curious as to how you "know" this? you wouldn't happen to be judging this based on an extremely narrow period of time where you "tried out" a friend's phone, or a display phone in a store?

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I doubt Apple's implementation will be "far better" than what for example Samsung are doing on their premium devices. 

Samsung on the other hand, do have true seamless VRR in some phones (the highest end ones). Those devices do not just switch between different modes but actually has seamless granular control of the panel refresh rate.

Given that Samsung make the UI, the panel and the controller for their high end devices, i would say their implementation probably about as good as you can get.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm a little disappointed there was no word about an improvement to FaceID. Rumors were saying that was why they might've dropped the plan to implement under-the-display TouchID this year (i.e. that FaceID had improved to the point where it would work with masks and fogged glasses, etc.) But looks like just the same as last year (well, the last few years as I don't think FaceID has changed much since it was introduced).

I have the 11 Pro so I think I might upgrade to the 13 Pro in blue. But where are the AirPods 3? I was hoping to buy at the same time as the new phone. 

On 9/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, RejZoR said:

It's funny how everyone perpetually bitches over FaceID not working with masks for only 2 years now, but fingerprint scanners not working with gloves for what, 10 years, every single winter of the year, that doesn't bother anyone.

Yep I wear gloves all day at work, and my area is socially distanced so I don't wear a mask in it. Face ID is what I miss most from my iPhone. The face detection on my S21 is okay, but it can't use it for banking or password managers. The under display fingerprint reader is pretty bad in that use case.

Leakers totally got baited with the matte black iPhone and the watch 7 redesign.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I guess, the iPhone 13 mini is the phone that makes me finally switch from Android to iOS, even though, it is not overly impressive, they seem to have improved on the 12 mini (already wanted to buy that - but thanks to covid, and work from home, the size of my current phone was not bugging me enough. Now I'm back in the office and in need of a smaller device.)

Most impressive in my opinion is the new iPad mini - especially the support for the Apple Pencil 2 is great! 

12 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Seems pretty boring.  Not much reason for me to upgrade my iPhone 12 Pro Max to a 13 if it's just a smaller notch.  Battery life...meh....I already get beyond a full day on one charge.  

No new materials with the Watch; didn't bring back ceramic.  Battery life forever a turnoff.  

Why do people still think that these phones are marketed towards people who has the previous year's phone? It's not. It's boring because it wasn't for you and rather for people who were thinking of upgrading this gen. For them it was pretty exciting and I personally know someone who was watching the keynote with a lot of anticipation and excitement, especially since she was coming from an iPhone 7. 

And tbc, the event wasn't all that exciting for me as well. Because I have an iPhone 12 and I'm quite happy with it. And I don't expect to get excited till iPhone 15 or 16

People buying phones every year since probably 2017-2018 are just filthy rich and just buying for the sake of why not. Phones, including mid to high end android phones have been pretty good in the past 2-3 years that most people's upgrade period has increased from 1-2 years to 3-4 years now

53 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Why do people still think that these phones are marketed towards people who has the previous year's phone? It's not. It's boring because it wasn't for you and rather for people who were thinking of upgrading this gen. For them it was pretty exciting and I personally know someone who was watching the keynote with a lot of anticipation and excitement, especially since she was coming from an iPhone 7. 

And tbc, the event wasn't all that exciting for me as well. Because I have an iPhone 12 and I'm quite happy with it. And I don't expect to get excited till iPhone 15 or 16

People buying phones every year since probably 2017-2018 are just filthy rich and just buying for the sake of why not. Phones, including mid to high end android phones have been pretty good in the past 2-3 years that most people's upgrade period has increased from 1-2 years to 3-4 years now

You misunderstand.  I wasn't expecting a phone with huge differences but I was expecting a little more substance.  They could have baited me to go 12->13 if they put some marginal camera improvements like 480fps, or put touch ID back in the power button, or even putting in Wifi 6E  since consumer access points are going to be rolling out in the next 12 months that support it. 

8 had wireless charging, X had OLED, 11 was way better camera, 12 was redesign and 5G.  13...uh...new color mainly.  Really should have called it the 12S.  TouchID alone would have instantly had me and probably lots of other people preordering.

Re: Apple Watch leave it at: there's a reason they still are using the Series 3 as the base model.  Because if it was the Series 5 no one would ever buy the Series 7.   

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I'm pretty disappointed with the event as well.

I was mostly looking forward to the A15 but it was really light on details there. It seems like it will not be that big of an improvement though, judging by how little Apple said and how they decided to frame it (comparing it against competitors rather than themselves like they usually do).

Let's hope AV1 is one of the formats their new video decoder supports, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly ProRes that has been added.

21 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

You misunderstand.  I wasn't expecting a phone with huge differences but I was expecting a little more substance.  They could have baited me to go 12->13 if they put some marginal camera improvements like 480fps, or put touch ID back in the power button, or even putting in Wifi 6E  since consumer access points are going to be rolling out in the next 12 months that support it. 

8 had wireless charging, X had OLED, 11 was way better camera, 12 was redesign and 5G.  13...uh...new color mainly.  Really should have called it the 12S.  TouchID alone would have instantly had me and probably lots of other people preordering.

Re: Apple Watch leave it at: there's a reason they still are using the Series 3 as the base model.  Because if it was the Series 5 no one would ever buy the Series 7.   

Those are numbers game though. There might be little things that would improve a the user expereince a lot. And there is Pro motion displays on the 13 Pro, so that's a substantial feature

We still need actual reviews to find out if the camera system is indeed improved and the new video features as well. Plus bigger battery is always a a good quality of life thing.

Yeah, it is a 12S year. But they call it 13, so whatever. Probably marketing reasons at this point

On 9/8/2021 at 7:35 AM, BondiBlue said:

Having it right in the middle of the display makes it useful for everyone. 

No, it is worse for everyone. Had a Samsung with that, was complete trash, didn't work half the time. Got a new phone with it on the power button, absolutely godlike. No comparison.

45 minutes ago, maskmcgee said:

No, it is worse for everyone. Had a Samsung with that, was complete trash, didn't work half the time. Got a new phone with it on the power button, absolutely godlike. No comparison.

I wasn't talking about the accuracy of the sensor; I was talking about the placement of the sensor. Having it right in the middle allows those who are right or left handed to use it with their thumb. Also, the under-screen scanners have gotten a lot better. The scanner in my S21 Ultra is FAR better than the one in the Galaxy S9, and I didn't just have an S9 with a bad scanner. I have 4 Galaxy S9s, and the S21 Ultra beats them all, even though the scanner is under the screen. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Am i right in thinking there is no real tangible benefit going from a iPad mini 5 to 6? At least nothing close to the £350 i would need to upgrade.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

12 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Having it right in the middle allows those who are right or left handed to use it with their thumb.

And left-handed people could use their index finger. Would be a solid argument to buy such a phone. It's even in the ipad mini now, exactly this feature, FFS!

On 9/14/2021 at 9:36 PM, 26astr00 said:

Can anyone tell me if FaceID is supposed or isn’t supposed to work with sunglasses? It works about half the time for me and seems completely random 

Do your sunglasses have any special reflective coatings or do they maybe not sit perfectly so they aren't always in a position that works? FaceID works fairly reliably with mine (I do wear glasses normally though, so I have my primary FaceID with glasses and my secondary without so it works when I'm in bed and don't have my glasses on).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II