Apple September 2021 Event - iPad, iPhone 13, and Apple Watch Series 7

BondiBlue
Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Update: the show is over, and the post has been updated with the new devices announced. 

Summary

The day has arrived, and Apple has announced the official date for their September 2021 event. It will be held on September 14th at 10 a.m. PDT, and current rumors suggest the launch of the iPhone 13, Apple Watch 7, and a new version of AirPods. 

Quotes

"The next Apple Event 2021 should be big, and it's now official. Invites have gone out for a "California streaming" event that will take place September 14 at 1 pm ET/ 10 am PT.

Most signs point to a revealing the iPhone 13, Apple Watch 7 and AirPods 3. Last year Apple split its top launches into a series of virtual keynotes, and while we are still anticipating multiple Apple events before the year's end, the September installment will be the one most people care about." 

My thoughts

A September event from Apple is nothing new, but it's always exciting to see what the company will do with their newest generation of devices. 

Update

The show is over, and here are the new devices and features introduced:

• iPad 9th Generation
    • The low-cost iPad aimed at entry level consumers and education markets gets a new front camera that supports Center Stage. The device now comes with 64GB of storage by default, while keeping the same price of $329 for consumers
  • iPad mini
    • Smaller iPad adopts the design of the iPad Air. Touch ID is integrated into the power button, and 5G support is added
  • iPhone 13 & iPhone 13 mini
    • New A15 chip offers improved CPU and GPU performance as well as longer battery life. The notch at the top of the display is slightly smaller than previous iPhone models
  • iPhone 13 Pro & iPhone 13 Pro Max
    • New A15 Bionic chip offers even better performance, and ProMotion has been added. A triple camera setup on the rear of the iPhone offers multiple photography modes, and Cinematic mode offers improved focus features
  • Apple Watch Series 7
    • Apple Watch has a larger display, but retains compatibility with all existing bands. USB-C enables faster charging speeds for Apple Watch Series 7

Sources

Tom's Guide

Apple Events

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

• September: new iPhones 
  • October: new Macs 

Disappointingly, it was rumored that the upcoming iPhones will still not have Touch ID for unlocking and making purchases even with a mask on. Apple’s current workaround is stupid because it requires you to own an Apple Watch and that will only unlock your iPhone, but not unlock other apps or authorize purchases. 

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Pretty much. I'll probably be upgrading my Mac at the end of the year if Apple releases something good.

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

58 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Disappointingly, it was rumored that the upcoming iPhones will still not have Touch ID for unlocking and making purchases even with a mask on. Apple’s current workaround is stupid because it requires you to own an Apple Watch and that will only unlock your iPhone, but not unlock other apps or authorize purchases. 

I’d pretty much either slip off the mask, or not bother if a lot of people were around, because my password of 16+ characters is a royal pain in the rear to type, and very prone to typos. 

While Apple probably has their pride, and FaceID is a marvel of engineering, if this pandemic has the potential to go for more than a couple more years, probably best to sideline the feature until we’re solidly out of it. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I’d pretty much either slip off the mask, or not bother if a lot of people were around, because my password of 16+ characters is a royal pain in the rear to type, and very prone to typos. 

While Apple probably has their pride, and FaceID is a marvel of engineering, if this pandemic has the potential to go for more than a couple more years, probably best to sideline the feature until we’re solidly out of it. 

It's funny how everyone perpetually bitches over FaceID not working with masks for only 2 years now, but fingerprint scanners not working with gloves for what, 10 years, every single winter of the year, that doesn't bother anyone.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's funny how everyone perpetually bitches over FaceID not working with masks for only 2 years now, but fingerprint scanners not working with gloves for what, 10 years, every single winter of the year, that doesn't bother anyone.

You know, being a California dweller, I never even thought of that. Legit good point. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Not surprising, but I‘m glad to have an official date. I‘m in for a new MacBook (hopefully new 16 Pro), iPhone and iPad. Only my iPhone 6 Plus is still (barely) keeping me afloat rn lol. 

24 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

You know, being a California dweller, I never even thought of that. Legit good point. 

As I like to tell people: you can tell most smartphones were designed in warm climates, since most of them didn't even stop to consider these things called "freezing temperatures." See also: Tesla insisting cameras are enough for self-driving without apparently considering basics like snow.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Why not both?

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

but fingerprint scanners not working with gloves for what, 10 years, every single winter of the year, that doesn't bother anyone.

One, not everyone experiences winter. Two, just how long is winter anyway in the span of two years compared to the Covid pandemic that started in 2019 until now, with signs pointing that it’s not gonna end yet?

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Disappointingly, it was rumored that the upcoming iPhones will still not have Touch ID for unlocking and making purchases even with a mask on.

I wish they'd just go ahead and put a fingerprint reader under the display. My S21 Ultra has one under the display, and it's worlds ahead of every other fingerprint reader I've used on smartphones. It actually works properly all the time. 

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

I wish they'd just go ahead and put a fingerprint reader under the display. My S21 Ultra has one under the display, and it's worlds ahead of every other fingerprint reader I've used on smartphones. It actually works properly all the time. 

I’d rather have a Touch ID button on the power button just like the iPad Air and place it on the right side. Since most people in the world are right handed, putting it in the right side is fine for pressing with the thumb.

38 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I’d rather have a Touch ID button on the power button just like the iPad Air and place it on the right side. Since most people in the world are right handed, putting it in the right side is fine for pressing with the thumb.

Having it right in the middle of the display makes it useful for everyone. 

5 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

wouldn't be too hard to have a toggle in the settings menu for mask id, turn it on and it lasts 24 hours before it switches itself off.

Only scans the shape of your head top part of your nose and eyes. ignores the mask down. less secure yes.. but at very least you can turn it on while wearing masks.

At the moment i just use an Apple Watch for payments because i don't have to type in a pincode every time. all i use an Apple Watch for now days.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

27 minutes ago, Maticks said:

wouldn't be too hard to have a toggle in the settings menu for mask id, turn it on and it lasts 24 hours before it switches itself off.

Only scans the shape of your head top part of your nose and eyes. ignores the mask down. less secure yes.. but at very least you can turn it on while wearing masks.

Still a stupid and half-asses solution. Well, this wouldn’t be the first time Apple implemented something shitty and half-assed. For the longest time notifications arrive chronologically until iOS 12 fixed it. Just place the damn Touch ID sensor in the power button. 

8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

According to Front Page Tech, Apple employees are currently testing iPhone 13 Face ID arrays on iPhone 12 devices while wearing masks and/or foggy glasses indoors and outdoors. It seems likely from this news that Face ID will be able to work with a mask and glasses at least on the hardware level in the iPhone 13. Weather or not it's enabled in software and how it will effect security, we will have to wait and see.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

well yes any material obstructing your face/finger would obviously interfere with biometric login. The same a mask interferes with FaceID, a glove would also interfere with fingerprint scanners. A quick search show that so far only latex gloves are able to work with fingerprint scanners. I'm not familiar with winter climates and attire but I can't imagine anyone using latex gloves outside. 

Additionally the reason people have been as you said

perpetually bitches over FaceID not working with masks for only 2 years now

is because FaceID is a relatively new technology and was desinged assuming that everyone's face will be clearly visible in the future for a long time to come. Needles to say Apple's faceful future was unprepared for the sudden cover up of faces. Additionally people take issue with FaceID cause it has the potential to unlock with face masks on. Apple justifed ruining the display with that notch (for 4 years) by cramming in as much sensors as they could which means Apple has more control over the parameters of unlocking and should in theory be able to work with masks. This can't be done with Android because no manufacturer uses as many sensors for face unlocking as Apple does not to mention Android face unlock is not as secure and doesn't have the kind of flexibility as Apple's. If I'm not mistaken i believe android simply just cross checks the user's face with what was scanned during setup.

17 minutes ago, DexterSmythe said:

According to Front Page Tech, Apple employees are currently testing iPhone 13 Face ID arrays on iPhone 12 devices while wearing masks and/or foggy glasses indoors and outdoors. It seems likely from this news that Face ID will be able to work with a mask and glasses at least on the hardware level in the iPhone 13. Weather or not it's enabled in software and how it will effect security, we will have to wait and see.

Right on cue. They are already working on it as expected. Its just Apple takes a while to respond to changes.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

I think they are using same tech as OnePlus did at one point where they had cameras that can see through plastics (and had to remove it after privacy rage). Technically, surgical masks are just fine plastic mesh. FaceID with such light spectrum capture could see the face contour even through a mask then.

38 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I think they are using same tech as OnePlus did at one point where they had cameras that can see through plastics (and had to remove it after privacy rage). Technically, surgical masks are just fine plastic mesh. FaceID with such light spectrum capture could see the face contour even through a mask then.

Yep, Face ID projects a bunch of IR dots on your face and scans where those dots are in relation to each other.

OnePlus's camera did not have an IR filter which allowed it to see through some clothes in some scenarios.

Keyword there is "some". My guess is that the face masks blocks too much IR light, and that's why it doesn't work. I am fairly sure that if Apple could solve Face ID not working with masks through software, they would have done so already.

12 hours ago, RejZoR said:

People living in warm climates haven’t even mastered the ”use the nose to answer the telephone in winter” technique 🙂

It saddens me that this will be the last year for the Mini. Hopefully future versions of the SE will assume the Mini’s form factor.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

meh, im fine with faceID. its not perfect, but neither are the fingerprint scanners.

people complaining about it not working with masks, seem to be forgetting that Apple sells to countries where masks are not always mandated. I don't think i would make sweeping changes to my products designs to accommodate a temporary measure that is easily worked around.

I'd rather apple put more work into sorting out some issues with their UI.

It used to be far easier to use, and is probably the primary reason I go for iPhones. Now its getting bloaty and I'm tired of having to stretch between the top and bottom of the screen all the time... that 'pull the screen down feature' is BS.

14 minutes ago, Roswell said:

It saddens me that this will be the last year for the Mini. Hopefully future versions of the SE will assume the Mini’s form factor.

It's very likely future SE phone will use XR's case/design. Which is pretty large, but on the bottom edge of specs/features so it would make sense. It's not small by any means though.

17 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Why the different dates? Is there some other regular Apple event in October or just Apple organizing their own thing to announce new products?

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Why the different dates? Is there some other regular Apple event in October or just Apple organizing their own thing to announce new products?

The latter I assume. Apple tends to split their product launches in different months in order to create hype. The event would’ve been too long if they launched both the new Macs and iPhones on the same day. 

Edit: I don’t know why did Apple typed HTML tags for italicize in the subtitles as seen in their Oct 2020 event? 

33412A2B-B943-49E7-923E-5B6E29E9DDB5.png

Edited by captain_to_fire