Overclocking Ryzen 7 5800X

spannvis
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

There is really no overclocking headroom on ryzen chips and doing so almost always hurts single core performance. You would be best to enable PBO2 and set a curve optimizer undervolt and call it good. With my 5900x setup this way I get 4.6-4.625ghz all core and over 5ghz single core 

Hey! 

Thinking about overclocking my CPU (Ryzen 7 5800X) with a MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK WIFI mobo. CPU cooling is a Noctua NH-D14 (w/ Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound), during benchmark it reaches 80C but soon cools down to 62C stable. While streaming and playing simultaneously it never goes beyond 62C so cooling probably wont be a problem. 

The thing is, I've never OC before, is there anything I should be aware of? Are there any good guides with my specific parts? 

Thanks in advance! 

// spannvis 

There is really no overclocking headroom on ryzen chips and doing so almost always hurts single core performance. You would be best to enable PBO2 and set a curve optimizer undervolt and call it good. With my 5900x setup this way I get 4.6-4.625ghz all core and over 5ghz single core 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I, honestly, wouldn't even bother with manual overclocks. Just make sure PBO and XMP is enabled in BIOS and you're good to go. You can search around for your motherboard + CPU combination to see if anyone has any good offsets for reducing temps but beyond that just let it do the auto overclocking through PBO

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Skiiwee29is right. Undervolting Zen 3 is the way to go. This gives the CPU extra thermal and power headroom to let PBO do its thing. Do a per core undervolt, though. It's exceedingly rare to get a stable all core undervolt without leaving a lot of extra performance on the table. Doing it per core will be time consuming, but it will be totally worth it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I've set my Curve Optimizer to -20 on all cores and enabled PBO and I leave it at that. 

In Cinebench R23 runs I maintain 4.7Ghz across all cores and see 81-82c maximum. Good enough for me.

It really depends what you do with your pc. If you just game and are an average user pbo is the way to go. If you crunch numbers all the time an all core oc is in your cards. Run an all core oc and you will gimp it by a few hundred MHz on the top end, not that it matters much if you are crunching. There is much performance to be had and lost going either way.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

• 11 months later...

is this really true?  as of august 2022. ryzen master allows me to over clock my R5 2600 on all cores to 4.1 Ghz with very modest voltage increase, and not very high temps with an after market air cooler,  1.25v and around 70c if resizable bar is not active.. for some reason.  and that chip clocks pretty low.  why is there not any head room for over clock on ryzen chips?

i guess maybe the 2600 chip doesnt go much past 4.2ghz as its not really designed for it. but if this older chip can be pushed up with absolutely no effort and time invested.  im not sure why a 5800x wouldnt be a quick and simple process to over clock.

why let the chip auto throttle when its nearly effortless to over clock the chip with nothing more than possibly 1 hour of turning a computer on and off looking for the voltage sweet spot in ryzen master. 

yah the 5800x might run a bit hotter and require a water block solution but it should still be easily overclockable on all cores with ryzen master in the year 2022 with little to no effort.  just saying

1 hour ago, sicxind said:

is this really true?  as of august 2022. ryzen master allows me to over clock my R5 2600 on all cores to 4.1 Ghz with very modest voltage increase, and not very high temps with an after market air cooler,  1.25v and around 70c if resizable bar is not active.. for some reason.  and that chip clocks pretty low.  why is there not any head room for over clock on ryzen chips?

i guess maybe the 2600 chip doesnt go much past 4.2ghz as its not really designed for it. but if this older chip can be pushed up with absolutely no effort and time invested.  im not sure why a 5800x wouldnt be a quick and simple process to over clock.

why let the chip auto throttle when its nearly effortless to over clock the chip with nothing more than possibly 1 hour of turning a computer on and off looking for the voltage sweet spot in ryzen master. 

yah the 5800x might run a bit hotter and require a water block solution but it should still be easily overclockable on all cores with ryzen master in the year 2022 with little to no effort.  just saying

Because enabling PBO is best for single core performance, full load performance and everything in between.

For example If I adjust my 5950x for all core OC I could get 1.15v and 4400mhz but I'm stuck with that core speed even with single core. If I adjust my PBO and curve optimiser I could get around 4350mhz full load, sure I lose a bit of performance in comparison, but in single core I could get beyond 5000mhz! A huge difference in single core performance. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820