What to look for in magnifying glasses

Bombastinator

Bent a pin on a motherboard and while I’ve got a magnifying fluorescent ring clamp lamp the thing is making my eyes cross.  I’ve seen electronics microscopes with display screens, but that is out of my price range. 

im thinking about maybe some of those magnifying glasses used by jewelers and watch makers but I know nothing about em.  I don’t know what to look for.  All I know is those visor ones are garbage.  Anyone know anything about those things?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

33 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Craigslist and the waiting game.

You can pick up basic used stereo microscope relatively cheap (under $50). On top spend another $10 for a ring light.

What to look for (just the top 3)?

1. build quality

2. glass optics

3. working distance between the optical assembly and surface

Btw. trinocular is very nice but you don't get them on a budget.

I’ve got a ring light, sort of. There’s a lens set in the center of it.  I’m having massive problems getting anything like binocular vision out of it though and my eyes are crossing.  Not sure if I need more or just better magnification.

working distance was one I hadn’t thought of at all.  Perhaps varying that might help with my current setup.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 hours ago, James Evens said:

What you currently describe sounds like a large lense and with that you won't get depth perception.

It describes the distance between the lower end of the microscope and the focus point. You can't just change the distance and expect it to work.

Did help, but you make a point.  Part of the problem apparently is astigmatism.